What's new

Paramount buys Dreamworks (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This comes as a huge surprise to me, actually; since Dreamworks has been parked at Universals since its inception I thought Uni would be the natural one to pick it up if it ever decided to stop being independent.
It certainly bodes well for an "Indy 4", should the script ever materialize, however.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I had noticed that Dreamwork's has had a few flops recently...but $400 million isn't that much in todays film market, I guess they weren't doing that bad.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I am really surprised by this too. I heard that NBC/Universal had bid on the company earlier and that never went over.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Today's NYTimes has a good article recounting the history of negotations. The thrust of the article is that GE/Universal took too long to make a deal and alienated the Dreamworks principals with too much dickering (notably, dropping the purchase price after disappointing box office for The Island and Almost Heaven).

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/12/bu...reamworks.html

M.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
To make up some money back from the acquisition. They aren't selling the library to another studio, they're selling it to a financial consotrtium (old guys with money but no ties to studios) and then retaining the distribution rights. Basically, the consortium is making an investment and getting money back on the revenues generated by the library, and Paramount is keeping a distribution fee for putting the movies out on DVD, TV, etc.

After the distribution agreement is over, the consortium can sell the movies back to Paramount or find another studio to distribute them depending on the deal they sign now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks