What's new

Paramount....As Time Goes By, what will be left of their catalog? (1 Viewer)

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
The recent announcement that Warner Brothers!-will be handling 600 Paramount titles for DVD and streaming confirms that this compay when it come to their catalog is truly the Whore of (Hollywood) Babylon.
Im a bit perplexed by this and not quite sure if its such a great idea. But, as I inferenced in my lists prior , WB catalog is dwindling quickly-especially its 70s/80s era films, so this was a good business decision on their part.
Paramounts "Johns":
Paramount proper: Will handle blockbusters and steady moneymakers (THE GODFATHER; TRANSFORMERS)
Legend: They give it a gallant try with obscure titles from 60s-80s (I will forever be grateful for WON TON TON....), but I think their partnership is over
Criterion: The prestige Paramount films. I hope they will get their hands on LOOKING FOR MR GOODBAR; THE TENANT; NASHVILLE; THE APPRENTICESHIP OF DUDDY KRAVITZ; THE SHOOTIST and AMERICAN HOT WAX
Olive: they have done an outstanding job with the Republic titles and some 60s /70s titles-THE STERILE CUCKOO; CHILDS PLAY that Id never thought would make it.
Shout Factory!: THE DUELLISTS (not sure if this was a one off).
Warner: This seems to be aiming for the popular titles of 70s-00s. But hopefully we will see rereleases of LIFEGUARD; THE BIG BUS and others long out of print
Netflix: The go to site for many Paramount films never on video -i particularly enjoyed 1980s THE OUTSIDER. But also NORWOOD
Amazon Prime: Finally-LITTLE FAUSS AND BIG HALSEY ! But I was g;lad I was able to download SHEILA LEVINE IS DEAD AND LIVING IN NEW YORK and wish I had done the same with TR BASKIN and FEAR IS THE KEY, now not available.
1970s Paramount:
Never released on video: THE CONFESSION (Amazon Prime); TELL ME THAT YOU LOVE ME JUNIE MOON; DEEP END (Brit DVD); LITTLE FAUSS AND BIG HALSEY (Amazon); NORWOOD (Netflix); THE CHAIRMANS WIFE ; UNMAN, WITTERING AND ZIGO (Amazon ) ; BEEN DOWN SO LONG IT SEEMS UP TO ME; CONNECTING RTOOMS; TR BASKIN (Amazon); THE MATTEI AFFAIR (for dvd); LEGEND OF NIGGER CHARLEY; THE MAN ; INNOCENT BYSTANDERS (Amazon, foreign dvd); FEAR IS THE KEY (Amazon, Brit dvd); DEADHEAD MILES (Netflix); FIRST CIRCLE; CHARLEY ONE EYE (Amazon); SUPERFLY TNT; SOUL OF NIGGER CHARLEY; SCALWAG;SHANKS; TOUGH GUYS; SHEILA LEVINE IS DEAD...; LEADBELLY(Netflix); THIEVES (
Netflix); ; SECRET LIFE OF PLANTS (Netflix); AMERICAN HOT WAX; SEVEN NIGHTS IN JAPAN ; FRATERNITY ROW; HOMER; CHRISTIAN LICORISCE STORE; DARKER THAN AMBER ; NEST OF VIPERS; AFRICAN ELEPHANT;
Never on DVD: BORSALINO (for dvd); WATERLOO (other regions); FRIENDS(Amazon) ; THE DESERTER , A GUNFIGHT ; A SEPERATE PEACE ; MALICIOUS ; ASH WEDNESDAY; APPRENTICESHIP OF DUDDY KRAVITZ (Netflix) : THE DOVE (Netflix);PAUL AND MICHELLE; CITIZENS BAND (Netflix); LOOKING FOR MR GOODBAR (Netflix, Amazon); FIRST LOVE (Netflix); BLOODLINE (other region); PLAYERS; SUNBURN; WILLARD; BEN; ARNOLD ; W; SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE ;ADAM AT 6AM; WHO IS HARRY KELLERMAN..?; LITTLE ARK; WAR BETWEEN MEN AND WOMEN; TERROR IN THE WAX MUSEUM; REINCARNATION OF PETER PROUD ;RACE FOR YOUR LIFE CHARLIE BROWN
1980S:
Never on video: THE OUTSIDER; KELLY
Never on dvd: LITTLE DARLINGS (Amazon); BON VOYAGE CHARLIE BROWN (AND DONT COME BACK!); PHOBIA; COAST TO COAST ; GOING APE!(Netflix); GAS; PATERNITY; FIGHTING BACK (Netflix); IT CAME FROM HOLLYWOOD; MAN WHO WASNT THERE; (Netflix); BEYOND THE LIMIT; THE KEEP(Netflix); the river rat; 16 days of glory; plain clothes; the experts; WINDY CITY; FINDERS KEEPERS ;THE CHALLENGE; ROUGH CUT; ELENI; BETTER LATE THAN NEVER; COME BACK TO THE 5 AND DIME JIMMY DEAN, JIMMY DEAN
Guesses for above:
Paramount: CHRISTIAN LICORICE STORE; DARKER THAN AMDER; SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE; AFRICAN ELEPHANT;; ; WAR BETWEEN MEN AND WOMEN; WHO IS HARRY KELLERMAN...?;ADAM AT 6AM; LITTLE ARK; ELENI; BETTER LATE THAN NEVER
Criterion: DEEP END ; THE MATTEI AFFAIR; SHANKS; AMERICAN HOT WAX ; APPRENTICESHIP OF DUDDY KRAVITZ; CITIZENS BAND; LOOKING FOR MR GOODBAR; THE KEEP; BORSALINO; A SEPERATE PEACE; COME BACK TO THE 5 AND DIME JIMMY DEAN, JIMMY DEAN
Olive: TELL ME THAT YOU LOVE ME JUNIE MOON; LITTLE FAUSS AND BIG HALSEY; NORWOOD; UNMAN WITTERING AND ZIGO; BEEN DOWN SO LONG IT LOOKS UP TO ME; TR BASKIN; INNOCENT BYSTANDERS; DEADHEAD MILES; FIRST CIRCLE; SHEILA LEVINE IS DEAD...;LEADBELLY; THIEVES; SECRET LIFE OF PLANTS ; FRATERNITY ROW; FRIENDS; THE DESERTER; A GUNFIGHT; THE DOVE; PAUL AND MICHELLE; FIRST LOVE; PLAYERS; SUNBURN; WATERLOO; THE CONFESSION; THE OUTSIDER
Shout! : WILLARD; BEN; W; TERROR IN THE WAX MUSEUM; REINCARNATION OF PETER PROUD; LEGEND OF/SOUL OF NIGGER CHARIE; CHAREY ONE EYE; THE MAN; FEAR IS THE KEY; TOUGH GUYS; ARNOLD; IT CAME FROM HOLLYWOOD; THE MAN WHO WASNT THERE; THE KEEP; THE CHALLENGE
WB: SUPERFLY TNT; RACE FOR YOUR LIFE CHARLIE BROWN; BON VOYAGE CHARLIE BROWN; SCALAWAG; BLOODLINE; ASH WEDNESDAY; LITTLE DARLINGS; PHOBIA; COAST TO COAST; GOING APE; ROUGH CUT; PATERNITY; GAS; FIGHTING BACK; BEYOND THE LIMIT; THE RIVER RAT; 16 DAYS OF GLORY; PLAIN CLOTHES; THE EXPERTS; FINDERS KEEPERS; WINDY CITY

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
A Gunfight was released on DVD in 2005, but the quality isn't the greatest. I'd like to see it get a proper release - even a blu-ray version would be nice. Always liked this film alot.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Paramont's 1920s and 1930s titles are in need of immediate attention. Universal might still own them, or not. I don't know. But the films are virtually lost to history in terms of being unreleased to home video for unavailable for broadcast and repertory screenings, although most are known to survive.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Richard--W said:
Paramont's 1920s and 1930s titles are in need of immediate attention. Universal might still own them, or not. I don't know. But the films are virtually lost to history in terms of being unreleased to home video for unavailable for broadcast and repertory screenings, although most are known to survive.
Boy, for someone who generally seems to know more than I on most of these topics, you are surprisingly out to lunch here. Universal owns almost all of Paramount's pre-1948 talkie output. In terms of sheer quantity, they have done a very good job and, even in terms of the 1930s, they have a large number of titles out there. They have released a lot of obscure Paramount Claudette Colbert and Barbara Stanwyck films through their backlot collections and TCM. They have released 6 or 7 1930s Paramount Bing Crosby films. They have released most of W.C. Fields's 1930s Paramount films. The released The Cecil B. DeMille Collection. They released some early Bob Hope films. They released the Paramount Imitation of Life. They released the early Mae West and Marlene Dietrich films. They released the 1930s Marx Brothers films. They released a bunch of Carole Lombard films. Overall, Universal has done a very good job releasing early Paramounts. Where I will agree with your sentiment is that the Paramount 1930s and 1940s library is so rich, there is still a lot more that tops my list of desired titles. I would like to see Gary Cooper 1920s and 1930s westerns, more Bing, the rest of W.C. Fields, a host of horror/mystery titles, some Ray Milland titles, Alan Ladd in the 1940s, and more. As for silent Paramounts, Paramount retains the rights and the pickings have been slim. There's Wings and the three Von Sternberg titles they licensed to Criterion, plus a few other public domain/taken for public domain films like Sally of the Sawdust.
p.s. I forgot Cary Grant. Considering the Screen Legends, TCM and Pre-Code collections, Universal released 9 fairly obscure 1930s Cary Grant films. Of course, I still want more, but Universal should get some credit.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Louis, Shout! has a four-film license with Paramount -- the three WALKING TALL films and THE DUELLISTS. That's all, unfortunately.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Welcome to the 21st century. Studios farming out their own films to companies who are bigger fans of movies than the own studios. It's a good thing and the best thing to happen since the advent of color. Do we have Criterion to thank for this phenomenon?

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
JoeDoakes said:
Where I will agree with your sentiment is that the Paramount 1930s and 1940s library is so rich, there is still a lot more that tops my list of desired titles. I would like to see Gary Cooper 1920s and 1930s westerns, more Bing, the rest of W.C. Fields, a host of horror/mystery titles, some Ray Milland titles, Alan Ladd in the 1940s, and more.
Yeah, that's pretty much it. Despite some commendable efforts, they've still got a ton of 1930s and 1940s output they still need to get released. They've just scratched the surface. The main problem is that they don't release any of these on retail releases anymore and the only outlet is TCM, Their MOD line that they add to every 6 months, or maybe a lucky Criterion release once in a great while. How much longer before we actually get a R1 release of Northwest Mounted Police or The Uninvited? It doesn't surprise me many people go R2 for such titles these days.

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
LOVE WITH THE PROPER STRANGER with Steve McQueen and Natalie Wood. from 1963...a really good film...shot on location in New York in glorious B&W and great score by Elmer Bernstein. Directed by Robert Mulligan. Who will finally release this on DVD or better yet Blu Ray?

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Originally Posted by Richard--W /t/324273/paramount-as-time-goes-by-what-will-be-left-of-their-catalog#post_3985526

I hope that the Philo Vance films produced at Paramount starring William Powell might finally see the light of day.

Does anyone know if Blake Edwards' Gunn is among the titles?

Berkshires

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob
Originally Posted by Timothy E /t/324273/paramount-as-time-goes-by-what-will-be-left-of-their-catalog#post_3986423
I hope that the Philo Vance films produced at Paramount starring William Powell might finally see the light of day.

Same here. Paramount's three Vance films with Powell are among my most wanted early talkies. I hope Universal will release them through their Vault Series.

I also would like to see them release the three Fu Manchu films that Warner Oland made for Paramount beginning in 1929.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lamywaby
Recent bookmarks