What's new

PARAMOUNT--Are you ever going to release these films on bluray? (1 Viewer)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Ken Koc said:
Sad but true..... So will these films not be restored and preserved for posterity ? Or is IRONMAN 2 more important?
I can tell you that there's a LOT of HD re-mastering going on, lots of original negatives & interposes being scanned, it's keeping a fair few people employed in London, & I'd think lots more in Hollywood. It's just that it doesn't automatically lead to a Blu-ray release anymore.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ken Koc said:
Sad but true..... So will these films not be restored and preserved for posterity ? Or is IRONMAN 2 more important?
Just because they're not being release on BD, doesn't mean film preservation isn't going on.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Billy Batson said:
I can tell you that there's a LOT of HD re-mastering going on, lots of original negatives & interposes being scanned, it's keeping a fair few people employed in London, & I'd think lots more in Hollywood. It's just that it doesn't automatically lead to a Blu-ray release anymore.
Correct!

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Ronald Epstein said:
The problem is that there is little incentive to get these classics out because
they don't sell anymore.

This is not the same market that it was 5-6 years ago. The studios are very
careful about what they release and which classics they are going to invest
a lot of money into doing a digital cleanup or restoration.

The fact that the studios like Fox and Sony are pawning off their classic films
to smaller distributors or that Paramount made a distribution deal with Warner
should tell you that we are looking at an entirely different release and marketing
situation.
Warner needs to do us a favor and pawn their catalog titles over to Twilight Time.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Ken Koc said:
I think through HD streaming we know that the classics are being transferred to 4K and 2K. They just are not being released on Blu-ray.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
trajan said:
Warner needs to do us a favor and pawn their catalog titles over to Twilight Time.
Well, having over 8000 titles it's just gonna take time for our favorite title to be released on Blu-ray if it ever is, whether it is Warner or Twilight or another company. Twilight is only releasing 5 to 6 titles a month, two from each of the three companies it had agreements with. If there was a like agreement with Warner's then there would be two a month total of 24. Not any more than are being released now.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
trajan said:
trajan, on 11 Feb 2014 - 1:24 PM, said:Warner needs to do us a favor and pawn their catalog titles over to Twilight Time.
No! Give the anti-Twilight Time brigade even more to complain about? Can you just imagine how many threads there would be screaming about the unjustified high prices when Warners, if they had done it themselves, could easily have sold at least 250,000 discs?

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
trajan said:
Why that particular company? Why not Criterion, Olive, Shout! or another company? Heck, Criterion would actually fund remastering/restoration unlike TT.
ahollis said:
Twilight is only releasing 5 to 6 titles a month, two from each of the three companies it had agreements with. If there was a like agreement with Warner's then there would be two a month total of 24. Not any more than are being released now.
There's that too. I believe their representative said as much also, saying that their core consumer market would be swamped if they released much more on a monthly basis. I like their work too, but I doubt they'll be carrying the bulk of every other studio's back catalog anytime soon.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Robin9 said:
No! Give the anti-Twilight Time brigade even more to complain about? Can you just imagine how many threads there would be screaming about the unjustified high prices when Warners, if they had done it themselves, could easily have sold at least 250,000 discs?
Ha, the fifties & sixties films I'm interested in would maybe sell 2000-5000 copies!

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
JoHud said:
Why that particular company? Why not Criterion, Olive, Shout! or another company? Heck, Criterion would actually fund remastering/restoration unlike TT.
I just threw one company out there. Any of the others would be fine.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I still would like to see "The Red Tent" (1969) either from Paramount (whose DVD version is OOP) or anyone else. Peter Finch & Sean Connery in 70mm!

larryKR

Stunt Coordinator
If you really like and want a particular movie on BD, then $35 is not too much. I'm just happy that someone made these movies available on BD.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
For all the doom and gloom about blu-ray sales in America, it is refreshing to read on sites such as bluray.com that business for BDs is booming in countries like Germany, France, Japan and UK. I've seen the "streaming" HD my friend gets from Netflix and the "hi def" broadcasts another friend records from TCM. Real blu-ray discs blow these out of the water, of course. But, we live in a"latest toy" nation and I don't see things improving soon. Still, I don't mind having foreign BDs at all and am looking forward to doing most of my buying overseas in future. What American company would go out on a limb for the DeMille CLEOPATRA, RUGGLES OF REDGAP or THE WAR LORD? Don't count your beloved titles out yet, certainly not while companies like Eureka! are still chugging along. Now, if we could only get Kino to give us a centennial release of the recently restored 1914 CABIRIA and persuade Warners to release more titles overseas.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"Any of the others would be fine."Indeed. Criterion, Arrow, Shout, etc. Great films & A/V quality, loads of extras and decent prices (+ sales in Amazon etc).

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
larryKR said:
If you really like and want a particular movie on BD, then $35 is not too much. I'm just happy that someone made these movies available on BD.
Yeah, $35 is too much if you just want to see the movie maybe one or twice, but if it's a favourite movie from way back (usually the sixties for me), & it's going to give you pleasure just to own it, then it's not too bad...as long a favourite movie isn't released every week, some hope!

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I've found the majority of Twilight Time titles that I have yet to see via streaming services like Netflix or Amazon Prime, with the latter being $2, $3, or $4 rentals at times. Most are not movies I'd want to own because re-watching them would be too infrequent. I know this forum is more of an owner's group in its tendencies, but this may be something for others to look into. Personally, I rarely blind buy anything even if it's $10.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
ahollis said:
What aboutHatariGunfight At Ok CorralEl DoradoFunny FaceSabrinaThose are released before THE WOMEN.
Have you seen the screencaps for El Dorado over at DVD Beaver? There seems to be an appalling amount of DNR and EE.

I cancelled my Amazon pre-order after seeing them.

---------------

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
ScottHM said:
Have you seen the screencaps for El Dorado over at DVD Beaver? There seems to be an appalling amount of DNR and EE.I cancelled my Amazon pre-order after seeing them.---------------
I don't trust screen caps. I buying a moving picture not a still picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks