What's new

Paramount Announces Indiana Jones Blu-ray Collection Fall 2012 (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Worth /t/318936/paramount-announces-indiana-jones-blu-ray-collection-fall-2012/30#post_3902452
I had a chance to see the new 4K restoration of Raiders a little while ago - if it's any indication as to what the blu-ray will look like, everyone should be very pleased.
Unlike the Star Wars films, there's only one minor change from the original version - they did erase the reflection of the cobra in the glass when Indy falls into the Well of Souls.
I believe that alteration was originally made on the DVD release, if I remember correctly.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
cafink said:
Wasn't there also a matte shot that was replaced? A shot of a jeep driving along a cliff, or something like that? I might be be remembering wrong--does this ring a bell for anyone?
Edit: This is the change I was thinking of: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?p=2483384
It's part of "a recent HD airing," so I don't know if this is from the 4K restoration or whether the same source will be used for the Blu-ray, but I'm assuming that the change will remain.
The matte shot wasn't replaced, its actually the same art, it was just given some dimension in the same way that the do with still photographs for documentaries these days, where they will zoom in on a photo, but the subject seems to separate from the background.
Doug

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Douglas Monce said:
The matte shot wasn't replaced, its actually the same art, it was just given some dimension in the same way that the do with still photographs for documentaries these days, where they will zoom in on a photo, but the subject seems to separate from the background.
Doug
Watch at this video of the change:
The cliff & background are totally different in the new version of the shot than they were in the original. And in motion, it's clear that the cliff itself is a 3-dimensional object, not a flat painting like it was originally.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I actually hope this is packaged like the Star Wars films, which I thought were packaged very well. I also really would like to see the original documentaries included, such as Great Movie Stunts (hosted by Harrison Ford) and the Making of Raiders. I also always like a special tied in with Last Crusade called Great Adventurers and Their Quests. Hope they stick with movie poster artwork from Struzan or Amsel for the package.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
cafink said:
Watch at this video of the change:
The cliff & background are totally different in the new version of the shot than they were in the original. And in motion, it's clear that the cliff itself is a 3-dimensional object, not a flat painting like it was originally.
Maybe. It looked to me like they had sliced the image of the painting into 4 or 5 sections and panned down on them at varying rates. Either way who cares, the shot looks so much like the original that I don't know that I would have noticed it on a first viewing.
Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Sam Favate said:
I actually hope this is packaged like the Star Wars films, which I thought were packaged very well. I also really would like to see the original documentaries included, such as Great Movie Stunts (hosted by Harrison Ford) and the Making of Raiders. I also always like a special tied in with Last Crusade called Great Adventurers and Their Quests. Hope they stick with movie poster artwork from Struzan or Amsel for the package.
I just hope they include The Making of Raiders and The Making of Temple....I really never cared for Great Movie Stunts or Great Adventures and their Quests.
Doug

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Douglas Monce said:
Maybe. It looked to me like they had sliced the image of the painting into 4 or 5 sections and panned down on them at varying rates. Either way who cares, the shot looks so much like the original that I don't know that I would have noticed it on a first viewing.
Doug
Look specifically at the area near the top of the cliff, where it meets the road. It doesn't look anything like the orginal vesion. And the mountains in the background are obviously different.
It looks to me like the new cliff is a 3D rendering, but I'm not 100% certain of that--maybe you're right, and there's just some parallax/perspective trickery going on. But either way, it's clear that the revised shot was made using at least some completely new elements.
I'm glad to hear that the original version of the shot has been reinstated in more recent releases of the movie. The revised version looks silly, distracting, and anachronistic.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Worth said:
I had a chance to see the new 4K restoration of Raiders a little while ago - if it's any indication as to what the blu-ray will look like, everyone should be very pleased.
Unlike the Star Wars films, there's only one minor change from the original version - they did erase the reflection of the cobra in the glass when Indy falls into the Well of Souls.
There are screenshots over at AVS of the restored versions which aired on an HD broadcast and they look absolutely outstanding...and the BD should improve upon them yet.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=18556256&postcount=2106

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
Kevin EK said:
I have a feeling this set will be similar to the Star Wars set.  I don't think there will be much repeated content from the DVD set, but that the various TV specials from the 80s will be presented, along with materials from the Lucasfilm Archives.  I also believe we'll see up to an hour of deleted scenes from the three movies.    It's possible that Lucas and company may do commentaries, but I doubt that Spielberg will have anything to do with that, if it even happens.
The sound should be the usual good work from this group, and the transfers should also be good - keep in mind that they have to please both Lucas and Spielberg.
Has Spielberg ever done a commentary? I think I read he was not a fan of spoiling too much of the magic with commentaries.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ No, he's never done a commentary (and that's the reason I've always heard too). I'm guessing there won't be one at all at the request of Spielberg but I do hope LFL does what they did with the Star Wars commentaries and record some people like Lucas or Ford, etc. separately and cut the best bits together as one track.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I hold out a tiny, tiny bit of hope that maybe Spielberg might do one for the Blu-ray of Jaws this year. But most likely, they'll just be issuing the new transfer along with the raft of special features from the 30th Anniversary DVD. (Which aren't bad extras at all by the way)

For the Indiana Jones movies, I would think any commentaries would be exactly what Travis is saying: Edited comments from a bunch of people, including Lucas, Frank Marshall, maybe the screenwriters for each one, and maybe the guys from ILM.

The deleted scenes, if they are included, should be fun.

There's some good stuff, particularly from Raiders, that would be fun to see. We might even get lucky and get footage of a rehearsal of the whip/sword fight that famously got bumped.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Regarding commentaries:
As has already been stated, Spielberg does not like commentary tracks for his films because he feels they remove too much of the magic of film-making.
I think this includes putting ANY commentary track on his films, not just one he himself did.
Since he and Lucas respect each other's POVs so much
--Recall they now have agreed to disagree about digitally tweaking films based on Spielberg's comments regarding
talking to George about the updates to SW and how Steven will release E.T. on Blu ray without the updated version, which he now regrets.--
that we will not see commentaries on any Spielberg directed films, even if they were produced by Lucasfilm.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Its a known fact that the day a commentary appears on a Spielberg film that hell will truly freeze over.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Then if I ever do a review of a movie with a Spielberg commentary, I'll be compelled to begin it with:
"Shhhh-ekkk-ekk-ekkk-ekkk-ekkkkkkk"....

It'll probably come out too late to show at my SkyDome Cinema outdoors...unless it comes out in September. I'm open until early November...:)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
As has already been stated, Spielberg does not like commentary tracks for his films because he feels they remove too much of the magic of film-making.
I've always had trouble understanding his stance on the issue. Many of his films have Feature length documentaries where he speaks in great detail about the making of his films whereas they also show plenty of behind the scenes material. I'm sure one could edit his dialogue from one of these documentaries over the movie and you would end up with a pretty serviceable commentary. Also, no one is forcing anyone to watch the film with commentary.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
WillG said:
Many of his films have Feature length documentaries where he speaks in great detail about the making of his films whereas they also show plenty of behind the scenes material.
I've always thought the same thing. I can understand not wanting to show behind the curtain (and even though the genie has been out of the bottle for years, I appreciate his desire to preserve the 'magic') but it's not like he says "The movie speaks for itself" and never comments on his work.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
J.J. Abrams tried to get Spielberg to do a "commentary" on Super 8 by texting questions to him while they were recording their commentary.
Interesting I remember reading an interview with Spielberg where he talked about watching Lawrence of Arabia with David Lean, and how Lean commented through the whole film about how they did stuff, and how he loved it because it was like having a live commentary track.
COME ON STEVE WE JUST WANT WHAT YOU GOT FROM DAVID!!!!
Doug

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I'm with Spielberg on this one. Give me a well produced, well edited documentary over a commentary any day. Most of the commentary tracks I've heard have been deathly dull, with the participants either recapping what's obviously happening on screen or raving about how wonderful the cast and crew were to work with.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Worth said:
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I'm with Spielberg on this one. Give me a well produced, well edited documentary over a commentary any day. Most of the commentary tracks I've heard have been deathly dull, with the participants either recapping what's obviously happening on screen or raving about how wonderful the cast and crew were to work with.
This is a fine reason to prefer documentaries over commentaries, it's just that it doesn't actually seem to be the one that Speilberg proffers as justification for his aversion to commentaries. If the problem with commentaries is that they "spoil the magic," how are documentaries better?
Personally, I have a hard time deciding between the two. I love watching a feature-length documentary about a movie I love, but I also like being able to throw on a commentary to listen to as I do other things so that I listen to it without having to actively watch the screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks