What's new

Paramount Announces Indiana Jones Blu-ray Collection Fall 2012 (1 Viewer)

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Guess I'm lucky, I didn't have blu-ray yet when KOTCS came out, so it's a totally fresh run for me. But like others, I'll hold on to my DVDs as well, just in case.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
I'll buy KOTCS again if 1-3 have no DNR.

Indications are good that we will be spared, based on what I saw in the KOTCS supplemental material. Then again, we saw similar non-DNR'd material in the Star Trek Movie Collection supplements and we still ended up with waxy Blu-Rays for most films.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Blind buy from me as I love all 4 movies for different reasons being a TRUE Indiana Jones fan who saw all on original release as they were meant to be seen on the big screen ;) & can finally retired the DVD's & Laserdiscs to storage but please for the love of god Paramount/Lucasfilm no WAXY DNR'd to hell & back again transfers!!! I know the sound will be as good as it can be. Hopefully Ben Burtt will be tweaking these again for newer home sound formats but the picture on all 4 movies needs to be as DNR free & flawless as possible.
I would also like Spielberg to actually approve these transfers not like what he was alleged to have done on the rehashed Jurassic Park Trilogy..............

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Is there any information on if the Indiana Jones set will include lossless auido, (Dolby True HD or DTS HD MA) ? I just do not want to see a Bluray set coming out with the old Dolby Digital, that would be the only deal breaker other than a bad video transfer.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Waited on Back to the Future and Alien for good deals. Still haven't gotten Jurassic Park or Star Wars. When the price is right-prolly an Amazon Deal of the Day or Gold Box Something Or Other-I'll bite. But I just don't have a burning desire to watch any of these movies. That most likely makes me very weird, especially as a child of the 80s.

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
I agree that the "best of" reference doesnt bode well. You press release is supposed to be all positive upselling... and we already have a negative in its content? Why not just include everything you have previously released? Hmmmmmmm......

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Wow all the hate for Temple of Doom, which I love. I've always found the most campy to be Raiders.. but I love them all.. I think they capture the 1930s action serial to a T, they just "work" as a way to play with the genre, it's like a modern, better budget 1930s "Tarzan" or "The Phantom Creeps/Captain Cody" type shorts.

I love them all, and it's a day and date for me.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
mattCR said:
Wow all the hate for Temple of Doom, which I love.   I've always found the most campy to be Raiders.. but I love them all.. I think they capture the 1930s action serial to a T, they just "work" as a way to play with the genre, it's like a modern, better budget 1930s "Tarzan" or "The Phantom Creeps/Captain Cody" type shorts.
I love them all, and it's a day and date for me.
REALLY? I've always found Raiders to be the one film that was pretty much played straight. Temple is my least favorite of the 4, but as far as I'm concerned, its still head and shoulders above the vast majority of action adventure films made today.
Doug

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I have a feeling this set will be similar to the Star Wars set. I don't think there will be much repeated content from the DVD set, but that the various TV specials from the 80s will be presented, along with materials from the Lucasfilm Archives. I also believe we'll see up to an hour of deleted scenes from the three movies. It's possible that Lucas and company may do commentaries, but I doubt that Spielberg will have anything to do with that, if it even happens.

The sound should be the usual good work from this group, and the transfers should also be good - keep in mind that they have to please both Lucas and Spielberg.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah it's a price Drop wait on this set, not sure why all the hate on Skull, it was very much in keeping with the style of the other Indy Movies, with updated 2000's filmamking. It's no more "out there" than any of the other films.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Skull is truly the pits, it's awful (& it's the only one that's had an individual BD release!!), & I don't like the second one, so that leaves two movies, so no order from me.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce /t/318936/paramount-announces-indiana-jones-blu-ray-collection-fall-2012#post_3902380
REALLY? I've always found Raiders to be the one film that was pretty much played straight. Temple is my least favorite of the 4, but as far as I'm concerned, its still head and shoulders above the vast majority of action adventure films made today.
Doug
Hmm. I always though Raiders had the most mustache-twirling level villainy and goofy ending :) But I love it, it's just not my favorite. Admittedly, "Last Crusade" is my favorite, which I found to be about the perfect mix of camp comedy/action adventure. I enjoy them all though. I see all the hate for Skull.. but Skull to me was a blast, a little bit too much on the camp comedy, but it was so in keeping with the direction of the 1930s serials (which all eventually went to "moon men" type episodic stuff") that I liked the vibe and laughed a good deal. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
I enjoy them all though.
In the end, so do I. In my mind, the set has the best action movie ever made (Raiders), one really fun movie (Last Crusade) and two movies (Temple Of Doom and Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull) that, while flawed, still have their moments.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Jeff Robertson /t/318936/paramount-announces-indiana-jones-blu-ray-collection-fall-2012#post_3902279
I'll buy KOTCS again if 1-3 have no DNR.
Amen to that.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Jason Charlton /t/318936/paramount-announces-indiana-jones-blu-ray-collection-fall-2012/30#post_3902447
No matter how many times I hear that music, it ALWAYS manages to get the adrenaline pumping.

Same here, and I think that Raiders is an almost 100% perfect film. I still enjoy it completely whenever I watch it.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I had a chance to see the new 4K restoration of Raiders a little while ago - if it's any indication as to what the blu-ray will look like, everyone should be very pleased.
Unlike the Star Wars films, there's only one minor change from the original version - they did erase the reflection of the cobra in the glass when Indy falls into the Well of Souls.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Wasn't there also a matte shot that was replaced? A shot of a jeep driving along a cliff, or something like that? I might be be remembering wrong--does this ring a bell for anyone?
Edit: This is the change I was thinking of: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?p=2483384
It's part of "a recent HD airing," so I don't know if this is from the 4K restoration or whether the same source will be used for the Blu-ray, but I'm assuming that the change will remain.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
cafink said:
Wasn't there also a matte shot that was replaced? A shot of a jeep driving along a cliff, or something like that?
It was replaced on the DVD editions, but reinserted back into the new restoration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks