Paramount announces 4 horror titles for 9/24

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Weinberg, May 20, 2002.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

According to DVD File , 9/24 will bring us Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood, Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan, April Fool's Day and My Bloody Valentine.
    All will be widescreen anamorphic, but no mention of any extras aside from the trailers.
    On a related (yet disturbing) note, Columbia will be releasing cult semi-classic 976-EVIL on 8/13...in Full Screen! [​IMG]

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Ahh, April Fools Day. I loved that movie, and shall be adding it to my collection. With that, and Motel Hell coming out, I really need a dvd copy of Squirm.

3. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

4. Beau

Beau Supporting Actor

YAY! F13 7 & 8!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully New Line will release JGTH and JX on that day also.[​IMG]

5. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

Definitely picking up April Fool's Day. Any word on whether or not My Bloody Valentine will be uncut?

6. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Paramount = Viacom = Blockbuster, so I would assume "No" on the issue of releasing uncut horror films. The bastards.

Dan

7. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

My Bloody Valentine and FT13th part 7 are the two most anticipated uncut horror releases of all time. Fans have been waiting years and years to see these movies. There have been countless petitions, letters, websites, etc. to get these movies released uncut. I hope Paramount realizes how much money they can make from these movies if they would just release them in the forms fans want to see them in. I am a huge FT13th fan but have held off from buying the current bare-bones overpriced discs in hopes of uncut releases or a box set. Please do the right thing Paramount!

8. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

I considered waiting until complete, final specs are in, but, as a horror fan, I feel compelled to comment on these:
    Friday VII & VIII: Apparently, R-rated versions and trailers only. While I can understand Paramount not wanting to spend money to actually re-edit the films, I can't comprehend the harm in allowing us fans to see the cut footage AT LEAST as an extra. Throw us a bone, for pete's sake! Disappointed, but hardly surprised.
    Why, pray tell, does a slightly older film(April Fool's Day) get a 5.1 mix but these two are stuck with 2.0? These entries have very lively soundtracks and could've benefited from a new mix. [​IMG]
    My Bloody Valentine: Ditto above. If one looks up the results of the poll last year, the votes don't specify the censored R version. I guess the word "uncut" somehow got whited out along the way...how convenient.
    So I've been nice. This is the censored version of my thoughts.[​IMG]

9. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Hey not many of you might care about 976-EVIL (Heck I have not seen it yet) but it's release in Pan & Scam cannot go unrivaled. Guys (and gals) it could be your favorite horror/cult/anything movie next and we ALL need to fight this regardless of the movie in question.
    What can we do? C'MON! [​IMG]

10. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

11. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Ever notice how the cheesier the movie, the more you remember only the gorgeous girl in it? Or, maybe it's that talentless starlets wind up in this junk. Heh. Anyway, I used to have a bit of a crush on Spike's girlfriend in 976-EVIl. Lezlie Deane, I think it was. She looked a lot like a girl I had a crush on in high school. [​IMG]
    Doubt if she'd be worth braving full-frame for. And, since this is bound to come up, check Stephen Geoffreys' filmography on the IMDb. Latin Crotch Rockets. [​IMG]

12. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

Well, as much as what I would like to say that I am happy with the announcement of these dates, it is truly another slap in the face to those of us that have longed for the day that these films, Friday The 13th Part 7: The New Blood and My Bloody Valentine, would be released in their true forms. That being uncensored.

I do hope that Paramount releases that with an edited release of My Bloody Valentine, not only will many of the longtime fans not buy it, and why should we we already own the Pan and Scan butchered version, but their other horror properties will be in jeapordy as well.

Since 1988 we have pleaded with you about releasing Friday 7 UNCUT and that was even what was specified in last years pole (along with unrated version of My Bloody Valentine but also Dario Argento's horror classic Four Flies on Grey Velvet) when Paramount asked us what we wanted.

For over a decade, twelve years to be exact, we have asked for those cuts that the MPAA asked for. You could have had the full co-operation of the director, but no...release the same 'ol bastardization that fall to the cries of the Christian and Parental Organizations and the MPAA that have no interest in these films to begin with.

While I will be buying Friday's 7 and 8, I do hope that Paramount will soon announce there after one of two things:

1) That like the Star Trek series, you will revisit each title and give the horror public what it has been asking for.

or 2) That you will finally give up your hold on this series that Paramount was proud to make money off of and give it, along with every element, to a company like Anchor Bay that is proud of horror...and it's fans.

I remember being told in this same forum that we would be happy with the upcoming Paramount titles that would be released. Part of me will be happy to have these films remastered and in 1.85, but the other half of me knows that still the censorship of these films is taking place.

While I am not shocked at what has been announced, it is still plainly in my sight to note the biased that this studio has against these titles and their horror films. When the sells for these are near as high as you would like for them to be, sit back and think of the many people that would have purchased these films had you taken the time, energy, money and respect for the people that have helped Paramount through the past twenty years. While there have been many other big titles from Paramount, it was a tiny little picture in 1980, Friday The 13th Part One, that helped save your studio and became one of the biggest cult titles in the history of film.

13. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

14. ErikG

ErikG Cinematographer

I'll be picking up all four!

15. Brett C

Brett C Second Unit

The fact that Paramount are just going to release these films the way THEY always intended to, and have ignored the cries of all the Horror fans about these films,does make this anouncement seem like a slap in the face and you can add me to the list of people who won't touch these upcoming DVDs...[​IMG]

16. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I'm glad to see My Bloody Valentine is coming out on DVD, but I'm a little disappointed that The Tenant & Don't Look Now are not coming out with this group, for some reason I thought they were. Hopefully, Paramount will release these 2 films by the end of the year.

17. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

18. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Hey, at least they're releasing these films. Those of us still waiting for Four Flies on Grey Velvet are left empty-handed....

19. Walt Riarson

Walt Riarson Supporting Actor

Ron,

I thought you said there was a surprise with this set of releases that would make us happy? Did the list change since you saw it? What were you referring to? Just curious.

I too will only be picking up April Fool's Day from this group.

20. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    These are the versions that played in theaters, These are the versions that we are all familiar with, These are the true versions. Maybe some would like to see gorier versions, But those would not be "uncut" versions, They would be altered versions.
    I really do not care what happened between the film-makers and the MPAA way back when. As none of these films where directed by Alan Smithee, The directors could not have been all that upset with the final versions.
    I for one am pleased that Paramount are releasing them in their true versions. [​IMG]