Paramount and DTS?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Basile, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Mark Basile

Mark Basile Stunt Coordinator

DVD Angle today stated that K-19: The Widowmaker will have both DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 soundtracks. Is this accurate? I really do hope so because:

1. Since most of Paramount's DVDs are fairly barebones, why not at least give the new theatrical releases DTS 5.1 audio? Similar to Columbia's Superbit line...

2. If and when Paramount starts releasing heavy-duty two-disc special editions of certain back catalog titles, I think adding DTS 5.1 (or 6.1) audio really adds to the package, as it's a feature not previously available, giving a person like myself one more reason to purchase the set. One disc devoted to the feature, and one to the extras.

Have a great day everybody.

P.S. I think Paramount did a tremendous job on the Saturday Night Fever transfer. I can't imagine the video or audio ever being better. Lots of soft-focus, but it still comes off great.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Could the impending release of Titanic SE be dts? Was not the laserdisk for this also dts?

3. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

4. Vince Chan

Vince Chan Stunt Coordinator

where does dvdangle state this?

5. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

All I care about is a issue of Titanic w/ DTS. Thats all I want from Paramount.

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. Quint van der Vaart

Quint van der Vaart Second Unit

Davisdvd has the backcover up for K-19 : The Widowmaker and it doesn't state that it will have dts sound.

I realy hope Paramount does start using dts in the future with titles like Titanic.

8. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

But at the time, Pioneer had an exclusive contract with Paramount, and Image had an exclusive contract with DTS. It was jointly released by both companies and was the only Paramount title you could order through Image.

Universal had signed a contract with Pioneer when they stopped doing their own laserdiscs, but Image kept releasing the DTS versions. But you couldn't order the DTS from Pioneer or the AC3 through Image. 'Titanic' was teh only title you could order from either.

Word at the time was the DTS 'Titanic' was actually at the express request of Jim, a technophile at heart.

9. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

Paramount's getting better at releasing new 2-disc SE versions of older discs, such as the case with the Star Trek Films and apparently the impending Friday The 13th SE's. Hopefully they will continue with this approach to many more of their films....as long as they don't keep leaving off the damn trailer!!!!

Also, what was wrong with the Godfather and Forrest Gump transfers? I thought they both looked great! What could have been better about them?

10. Dave Anderson

Dave Anderson Second Unit

Evita also had a DTS laserdisc release. And in Japan. Ransom got a DTS laserdisc release (Director's Cut too - it's quite rare).

11. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

12. DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh Second Unit

13. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

The Indiana Jones Trilogy IMHO must have the newly remixed surround tracks in DTS-ES Discrete 6.1. They deserve nothing less. I wish Spielberg could twist Lucas' arm about this as he supposidly did with his getting to use film for Indy 4, even though Lucas is in love with digital (no matter the quality it would seem).

Come on Paramount!!!

Dan