Parametric Equalizer for SVS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John*S, Nov 26, 2001.

1. John*S

John*S Agent

I just received a musician'sfriend.com catalog that contained PEQ-5B 5-band Parametric Equalizer, list $249.99, on sale for $99.99.

Features 5 bands of EQ w/15db boost/cut per band (.03 to 2 octaves wide), tunable high-cut(2.5Khz to 30Khz) and low-cut (10Hz to 400Hz) filters and other stuff. Signal to noise of >96db,

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Does it say if all 5 bands can be centered anywhere you want?

TV

3. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

Tom,
    That PEQ-5B must only be in the catalog. I checked the web site, searched for equalizer and got 33 hits but didn't see this unit.
    I did see the ART 351 for $149.99.
    [​IMG]

4. John*S

John*S Agent

Tom,

Ah...good point. There's always a catch. No, the filters each have a range. It didn't hit me at first, but anything over 80Hz isn't going to be very helpful tuning a sub, is it?

Filter 1 is 20-400Hz, 2 is 60Hz-1KHz so there is a modest amount of flexibility but filters 3 thru 5 start at 150Hz and above.

Oh well, I got excited with that low cut filter down to 10Hz and the parametric EQ.

John

5. Tom Vodhanel

I know how you feel John [​IMG]
    btw---there seems to be good deals out there on used rane PE17s now and then. I paid $375 for my a few years ago(new)...but have heard they can be had for $150-$200 now used.
    very good units.
    TV

6. Bruce N

Bruce N Second Unit

I'll vouch for that. I recently won an auction on ebay for a PE-17 for $200. That's a great deal. [​IMG]
    Sorry Tom, I was going to get a Symetrix from SVS but this was a deal I couldn't refuse! [​IMG]
    Bruce

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I have a BFD I'm mostly happy with. Although I am intrigued by the Rane and the (presumed) all-analog processing. (The turn on "thump" from the BFD is really annoying I'm finding.)

Some Q's:

1) If I "equalize" out peaks at my listening position, am I screwing up response elsewhere in the room? (I could measure this myself, but it takes 10 min "per pass", 20 Hz to 98 Hz on the Autosounds 2000 CD with an RS SPL meter.)

2) If I equalize the sub only response, and flatten some peaks, but then if those peaks "reappear" when I add the mains to the sub, should I go so far as to create "dips" in the sub's output to try to compensate for the peaks in the mains? (Obviously, in the region where they crossover.)

3) I have a pretty massive valley around 48 Hz or so. I think that I understand (from Tom Nousaine's S&V reviews) that this is my mains interacting with the floor? Nothing much I can do about it?

Funny one: Spent a lot of time doing the sub by itself. When I added in the mains, I actually go a lower total output. Bingo: better adjusted the phase, and now the mains + sub is everywhere higher than just the sub.

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Dang, no answers to the above 3 questions? [​IMG]
    Here's another (not so nice) observation about phase:
    I have a Vandersteen V2W sub that has a variable phase knob, and 2 input jacks. One for 0 deg, and 1 for 180 deg. So with those 2 controls, I can adjust to any phase.
    So the other day, I optimized for the highest output from 40 - 80 Hz. I'm using an 80 Hz crossover.
    I did seat-o-the-pants measurements that night.
    Tonight, I plotted the range from 20 - 98 Hz.
    Know what I found? That even though I did get increased output from 40 to 80 Hz, on average, 1.5 to 3.0 dB higher with the mains+sub vs just the mains by themselves, and roughly 3-5 dB higher than the previous mains+sub plot,
    at 20 - 40 Hz, output of the *phase adjusted* mains+sub vs the original mains+sub plot was 3 - 7 dB decreased.
    That tells me that indeed, my Def Tech mains are NOT phase coherent across all frequencies. Of course, I already knew this, but it's quite a different experience to measure it myself.
    The Vandersteen sub *is* phase correct. (At least according to WSR and Richard Hardesty and the manufacturers themselves: Vandersteen, Thiel, Dunlavy, among very few others, are the only time and phase correct speakers out there.)
    So I will leave it where it is because for my 80% music listening, much more content available from 40 - 80 Hz, than from 20 to 40 Hz. (Plus later on, I will try to simply increase the sub's output to see if I can compensate any.)
    Fun stuff!
    I wonder if SVS subs are phase correct... [​IMG]

9. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Regarding your questions,

1) I think yes. This end of the tweaking is frought with tradeoffs. In order to get flat across the space of the room, it is necesary to go to room treatments.

2) I've been thinking about this very thing while waiting for my BFD to show up and decided that it is pointless to make the sub alone flat- its the summed response that counts. In a sense, the tial of the main's bass response is yet another tunable filter. If your main is large enough, it may help fill in that valley at 48 if you cross low enough.

3) Maybe its your mains cancilling with the sub. Try adjusting sub phase to maximise SPL at 48 with both the sub and mains active.

10. Tom Vodhanel

Kevin, how are you turning off the mains for the first round of tests?
    phase correct? A single driver(svs) subwoofer?
    whatever floats your boat I guess[​IMG]
    TV

11. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Brian- =>
    1) That's my fear. Someday, after I get it as flat as I can at *my* listening position, will have to try at the others.
    2) I figured I would eventually get a set of "corrections" for the flattest sub-only response, and then a 2nd set for the flattest sub+mains response, and just try to judge which sounded better.
    3) That dip did get better when I adjusted the sub phase. Room treatment: but how do I "treat" the floor? Already have carpet which is preferred over hardwood.
    Tom: for "mains only", I turn off the power amp supplying them. As far as sub phase, yeah [​IMG] I don't think that is this issue. More the *interaction* with the mains themselves (and their phase characteristics), and then also, the crossover in my pre/pro, and the BFD itself. Any kind of filter/crossover can induce phase changes, right?