Parametric EQ on Yamaha HTR-5790

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Eddie Horton, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton Stunt Coordinator

I was doing some listening to music in 2 channel mode the other day when I noticed that on "2 channel stereo" setting, things just didn't sound right as compared to "2 channel direct stereo". The only difference according to the owners manual is that in "2 channel stereo", bass management is applied and the sub continues to run, as opposed to "2 channel direct stereo" which sends a full range sound to just the 2 mains. The weird thing was that in "2 channel stereo", the mids and highs seemed muffled, like the sound was coming from a hollow box, but in "2 channel direct stereo", the mids and highs were crisp and clear. After a bit of tweaking in the setup menu, I realized that the parametric eq from the YPAO auto-setup was applied to "2 channel stereo" but not to "2 channel direct stereo". I turned off the parametric eq and WOW, what a difference in all areas. In Dolby Digital, DTS, Pro Logic, all the music settings, everything was much more detailed. In my room, it seems the parametric eq was really taming the highs too much, making it sound like THX processing where the highs are rolled off, but worse. No more YPAO for me. It's a good feature for setting levels and distances, but for everything else, it's just a starting point. This has made a HUGE difference in the sound of my setup. Thought I'd pass it along for all the other Yammy owners out there.

2. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

that is exactly my feelings as well. that is one of the main reasons that after i listened to the new yamaha recievers i just couldnt justify spending the extra for the 5790 and just bought the 5760.

3. Eddie Horton

Don't get me wrong, I still love my 5790, and it may be due to my room or just personal preference, but the parametric eq just doesn't do it for me. Sounds better with graphic eq with flat setting to me. When I bought the thing a few months ago, I was a total noob to anything made in the last 8 years or so. Now, after much research and listening, new speaker purchase, new sub purchase, T.V., basically everything, I'm learning more about what does it for me. The parametric eq just cuts too much upper mid and high frequencies for my taste. Still love the receiver, though, as it made it easy for a beginner like me to find a good starting point.

4. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

I found when playing with the Denon 3805 that the "front" eq setting was best with my system. It left the main speakers alone and only eq's the center and surrounds to match the sound of the mains. As you found with the Yam, the other settings seemed to dull the sound of my mains, but the "front" setting did seem to improve the sound of the surrounds.

5. Eddie Horton

Thanks, Chuck. My Yammy also has different settings for the parametric eq like that. I may play around with them today and see what happens.

6. Nigel Hooper

Nigel Hooper Stunt Coordinator

I only use the front setting as well here.

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Hmm. This is the first time I’ve seen anything negative about the YPAO system.

No one’s ever discussed this, but it seems to me that the placement/positioning of the mic would have a tremendous influence on the effectiveness (or not) of the calibration system. For instance, it the mic was pointed directly at a speaker, and wasn’t too far from it, I could see how the EQ would want to tone down the mids and highs.

Something else that might taint the results of two-channel mode would be if mismatched speakers were used, and the center or perhaps rears were brighter than the L/R.

Also:
    This indicates that you changed speakers after you ran the YPAO. Hopefully that is not the case?

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

8. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

I've read mostly good on the YPAO but have seen a couple reviews with mixed results depending on the speakers (CNET with the 1400 and Audioholics with the 2400).

9. Eddie Horton

Wayne, I haven't changed speakers since running YPAO. I have Ascend Acoustics 340's across the front and 170's for rears in a 5.1 system. I don't have a tripod, but did place the mic on the cushion of the couch right behind where my head would be pointing straight up. It wasn't near or pointing at any speaker.