What's new

Parametric EQ and Speaker Levels (1 Viewer)

Daman

Second Unit
I have a reciever with PEQ's namely yamaha htr 5790. Now when i first ran the autosetup on the reciever it checked and set speaker levels,distances and equalized the response to flat. After setting up the reciever i ran the DVE to calibrate my speaker levels with my SPL meter. Now that all my speaker levels are reset, would i need to again use the parametric equalizers? How exactly do they measure the room response?If i re apply PEQ, would it change the speaker volume levels too and would i notice a deviation if i ran the SPL tests again from DVE if i run PEQ again? Please advice.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Daman,

I had an RXV-1400, same receiver sold thru different dealers. One feature of the auto setup is the ability to have it skip different parts of the setup, so you can redo the auto setup but de-select the level setup portion. Thus it's possible to re-do the auto eq without affecting your manually selected speaker levels.

I no longer have the unit, but specifically remember this feature being available. See your owner's manual.

Daman

Second Unit
Yes Steve i can skip various other settings and levels, but my question is should i re equalize the reciever after ive set the speaker levels or not?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Daman,

While it wouldn't hurt anything to redo the eq, I don't see any real reason to do so unless you had to change the level settings drastically from those the receiver selected during the first auto setup.

In other words, unless you had to change speaker levels by more than 5db or so, just leave the eq settings as is.

Daman

Second Unit
thanks a lot for the reply Steve, i guess i become a little finicky sometimes :)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You don’t need to re-do the EQ after re-setting the levels. If there was a problem with the channel levels, it would have been before equalizing. The meter is “dumb.” It’s reading is merely going to be a reflection of whatever frequency is the hottest (i.e., a peak in response).

Once all of those “hot spots” are smoothed out, and you re-set levels, you’re good to go. There’s no reason to re-EQ because the response problems it found before and adjusted are still adjusted. Changes to levels don’t change response.

Make sense?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Daman

Second Unit
Yes Wayne, Makes a lot of sense indeed :D you put the mind to ease by explaining it very clearly, this is exactly the info i was looking for :) thanks a Ton!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks