What's new

Parallels 7: ninjas on fire (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What's the word on forced ads in Parallels? Apparently I have to upgrade Parallels when I upgrade that machine to Mt Lion.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Dave, what version of Parallels are you running? Version 7 works fine on Mountain Lion; I'm holding off on the v8 upgrade for the time being. If you're on v7 you don't have to upgrade.

AFAIK, the pop-up ad can be dismissed permanently by check the "Do not show again" box the first time you see it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Users report that checkbox only disables that specific ad, but not all ads.
http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?p=629361
I think I'm. On v6, so I'll have to upgrade. Might switch to Fusion, if Paralleles is taking a user-hostile approach now.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Now live:
http://9to5mac.com/2012/09/04/parallels-8-virtualization-software-goes-live-for-all-users-with-retina-support-faster-graphics-startup-and-more/

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I take part in these deals from time to time.

I purchased the prior Mac Bundle that featured
Parallels 8.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I upgraded to Parallels 8 when I got a cheap copy of Windows 8.

What a dog. Windows 8, I mean.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Upgraded to p8, with promise of free upgrade for OS X mmavericks compat. So far P8 installer is completely broken and won't work. Trying reboot, uninstall, and force quit steps to make it comply.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Huge fan of Parallels. Recently bought 8. Will think about going to 9.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Parallels Desktop 9 is available now to users of versions 7 and 8 for an upgrade price of $49.99. It will be available to everyone starting Sept. 5 for $79.99. A student edition is $39.99. Anyone who bought Parallels Desktop 8 on or after August 15 can upgrade to version 9 for free.Ok, I should quit futzing with 8 and jump to 9, if its 10.7 compatible.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ok, P9 isn't out yet.

Got P8 installed. Don't know the problem. Previous Win7 shutdown crashed, so maybe that was the problem. In any case, scrying the chicken bones fixed it, and P8 installed fine this morning.

With P9 as a free upgrade, I think we'll have the decks cleared to upgrade our systems to OS X Mavericks.

I really wish there was a good finance program for the Mac (seriously, I've been ranting about this for 6 years, when I first upgrade to a Mac in 2007). Still no finance program worth my salt. This is the only reason we still use Parallels. (Though I should install it again on my Mac for some business stuff. As we've talked elsewhere, my corporate telecon / webcasting system doesn't work on the Mac.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks