1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Paragidm Studio 20 or ADPs as rears? which do you recommend??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allan, Sep 4, 2001.

1. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I have Paradigm Studio 60s as mains and I was planning on buying a pair of Studio 20s to upgrade my rears. Now, I started thinking about mayber getting the ADPs instead. Does anyone have a recommendation as to why I should get one vs the other. I am really leaning towards the 20s since they are cheaper, I like the sound of them (I havent had a chance to listen to the ADPs yet), and they are more versatile (I can laways use them as mains in a different system if I ever upgrade).
    Any thoughts?
    Allan

2. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

The main question I ask when I get on this topic is, do you listen to music in five channel mode? Or do you ever use your rears for music? If you answered yes to either of these I would choose the Studio 20's. The ADP's dipole configuration doesn't suit music all that well. But if you are solely using them for movies, then take a listen to the ADP. The are better at producing a diffuse rear soundfield found in DD and DTS laserdiscs and DVD's.
    But my main advice is to audition them both. If you are getting them from an authorized Paradigm dealer, there should be no problem with them lending you a pair of Studios one night and ADP's the next night. That's what I did with my Mini Monitors vs ADP370s...I chose the Mini's.
    Good Luck.
    ------------------
    Oops, I dropped my eardrums.
    Could you pick them up for me?

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

4. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Jay and Ryan. Jay, I can't go for another pair of 60s since I do not have room for them behind the couch. In fact, I think I may be limited to get teh 20s (and not the ADPs. I am planning on placing them on a ledge that is directly behing the couch. (It is very deep and will fit the 20s.) There is one wall that could be used for mounting, however, the second wall is way off to the side.
    SO, the 60s are out. CAn I even place the ADPs in such a setup or must they be mounted on walls? The more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards the 20s.
    Allan

5. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

6. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    In regards to mounting ADP's on the wall or on stands you may do both. I have my ADP's on adjustable stands at about 40" high.The ADP's are great for HT and really create a diffuse soundfield.I had Active 20's for rears and the ADP's for the sides in a 7.1 setup and it was a nice combo with the studio 100's. I recently upgraded to Von Schweikert speakers and will be selling the ADP's.I have already sold the Active 20's.If you decide on ADP's and don't mind used speakers I'll make you an attractive offer.
    Make sure the 20's are front ported if you are going to put them on a shelf, they need a little room to breathe if they are rear ported. Good Luck and Audition,Audition ,Audition!
    ------------------

7. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

The 20's are definitely rear ported..
    Any suggestions for a lower speaker in the Paradigm line that is not rear ported that can be used as a surround speaker??
    -- John
    ------------------

8. Paul_Psutka

Paul_Psutka Stunt Coordinator

The Stylus series by Paradigm. They are meant for all-weather use (outdoor/indoor), but are acoustic suspension (sealed cabinet) designs. I've read good things about their sound.... they are up there with the regular Paradigm speakers, but it's too bad part of the price is for the all-weather function.