What's new

Paradise Now (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
There is a lot of controversy over this film, but people whom I trust that have seen it have spoken very highly of it and said that it doesn't glorify suicide bombers (which it has been accused of doing by some).

Should be interesting. (Let's try to keep the discussion of it civil, too!)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I saw it in a theater, and I'm at a bit of a loss as to how anyone could honestly read any glorification of suicide bombing into this movie. That certainly wasn't what I saw. I thought the story got bogged down near the end, with some character choices that seemed sudden and unmotivated, but there's some pretty fascinating stuff in it as well. Some of the minor characters--in particular, the "handler" who coaches the two would-be terrorists, and also the big boss of the terrorist group they're in--are VERY interestingly realized, and with great performances. The best thing about the movie is how it demonstrates some of the ways that the phenomenon of suicide bombing has become a part of every day life for many Palestinians, even if just in a tangential way.

At least one politically-based criticism I read of the movie was that it doesn't portray any Israeli views of the conflict, but...WTF? Of course it doesn't! It's about Palestinians! You want to hear both sides (and by that I just mean both sides of the conflict; anti-terrorism arguments on the Palestinan side are very prominently featured in this movie), go read a book, or watch a well-made documentary, there are several of them out there. I see no reason to expect such a thing from a narrative film that makes specific choices about which characters it depicts.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen the film; it never played around me. But from watching the trailer and reading about it, plus others' comments, I've come away with the feeling that it does nothing to glorify the terrorists. Roger Ebert said that it "humanizes suicide bombers. But in my mind, at least, that creates not sympathy, but pity", and I fully agree. It's a film that promotes hope and peace, not the opposite.

Can't find any word on extras, though.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
I thought it was a good film, but not anything incredible. The Ebert quote Paul posted is apt.

This movie needs some decent extras. At least a commentary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks