Paradigms with a 100 watt receiver work? Atom owners help me out?!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Raj_asaurus, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Raj_asaurus

Raj_asaurus Stunt Coordinator

I am looking into buying some USED Paradigm atoms for 100 dollars (is this a good price??). My question is I have the Pioneer VSX-D812K receiver which is supposed to put out 100 watts to all the channels. The Paradigm Atoms are rated for 10-85 watts if I'm not mistaken.

What would happen if I used these speakers?

Also, if you can answer what you think of the price!

Finally, I'm thinking of pairing these as rears to my front Polk RTi38s anyone think this would be a BAD idea?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You can drive Atoms with just about anything. I sold my rosenut v3 Atoms for $100 with no box, so the price is OK. I doubt the 812 puts out 100w with all channels driven, but it should still have no problem driving Atoms. The Atoms may not match well with Polks. I heard the RTi25s, which are similar to the Atom, and they did not sound as good as the Atoms to my ears, but as surrounds, I don't think you'll notice it too much.

3. JeremyR

JeremyR Supporting Actor

Jeremy
    Don't know about the match to the Polk's as I never had the opportunity to listen to them side by side. I remember not liking the Polk's as well, which probably means there is some difference in the sound. Then again, the Paradigm dealer had a decent setup to listen to teh speakers and the Polk dealer didn't.

As far as the wattage goes, I'm using a 100W/channel Kenwood which is probably of similar quality/design to your Pioneer, neither of which are likely capable of driving 100W/channel all-channels driven. I have no problem at all.

4. Raj_asaurus

Raj_asaurus Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the prompt responses guys! Its much appreciated!
    Raj