Paradigms purchased in Canada, US dealers won't service them?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew_B, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Andrew_B

Andrew_B Stunt Coordinator

I purchased some Paradigm speakers in Canada to take advantage of those huge cost savings. I read a post on audioreview.com that said an authorized Paradigm dealer in the US refused to service the Canadian bought product. HERE is a link to the post in question, it is currently at the top.
    Has anybody who bought their Paradigms in Canada successfully had them serviced in the US?

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I bought my Paradigm's (Ref 40's and 20's) up in Canada and have never had a need to have them serviced (YET! Knock on wood!)...but my Canadian dealer told me if I ever have a problem with them in the 5 year warranty period, all I had to do was ship them up north, they would take care of it and ship them back to me.

Might cost me a little more to ship up north, but the piece of mind is worth it. I would probably take it to a local dealer first but I wouldn't be that upset if they refused service.

Hopefully you have this same arrangement with your dealer and if you don't, you should.

3. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

It does not surprise me that Paradigm takes this approach or any other company, electronic or another industry for that matter. Yet, at the same time, many (Not Paradigm perhaps) will buy componenets, assemble their finished products in another country and then mark it up for a huge profit in the states.
    The question I always ask is why are Paradigm products soooo much more expensive in the States? Is it primarily currency exchange rate, duty tax, etc? I thought since NATFA was enacted, free trade would encourage open markets which is a benefit to the consumer and the manufacturer. I'd like to see the Profit breakdown of a Studio 100 sold in Canada versus the States. Maybe someone can educate me on this topic.
    Yet, when consumers become educated and street savy and can save large amounts of dollars, that does not go over well. It's very apparent as Paradigm is trying to protect it's dealer network in the states with the invalid warranty you are experiencing.
    Perhaps you could play their game and tell them you lived in Canada during that time period and that was the reason for purchasing them there. They should not penalize you for changing countries of origin if your life demanded a change. [​IMG]