What's new

Paradigms crackling .... (1 Viewer)

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
Okay, so I was watching Star Wars EP2 last night and I noticed distortion coming out of my speakers a few times. The time I really noticed it was right after Anakin slaughters the creatures that killed his mom. He starts yelling at the Senator how he "Slaughtered them like animals!". When he says the word "animals", I get some distortion almost like the track is recorded too high. I noticed this on my CC370 centre channel. I also played the scene in Stereo and it did the same to both of my Paradigm Monitor 7's. Now is this a problem wiith the actual 5.1 track or is it something in my system ? What's your guess ?

NOTE: I've got "Tone Defeat" off and everything is flat. I even made sure my DVD Player didn't have any funky "surround DSP" settings. Dynamic Compression is also set to "off".

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
Hi Joe, we just cant avoid eachother can we?:D

It is possible that the noise is recorded on the DVD, but I had the same problem with my version 3 Paradigm Monitors. I took my CC370 in to be repaired by Paradigm, and eventually it was replaced with a new one. Here is my reply to another person who had a similar problem:

"I had the same problem with two CC370s and a mini monitor. It would happen on the pink noise channel test on S&V and on dialogue, especially during very dynamic scenes. It is a crackling noise at a specific frequency and definitely coming from the tweeter. I took 3 speakers in to get repaired but the problem kept happening and I am very picky.

Well the problem would come back so I decided to take the tweeter apart. You can see what the tweeter looks like here
http://paradigm.ca/Website/SitePara...mages/7Accs.jpg

When I pulled everything apart, the black triangle piece with the dome on it was making a crackling noise that sounded just like what I heard before. It sticks to wave guide and makes a crackling noise as it sticks and unsticks. I decided to put lube (sylglide I think)on the two pieces (guide and tweeter plate) and the problem has never come back. If you or some else wants to try taking the tweeter apart it is very easy, just 3 torx screws."

You can certainly take them back to the dealer, they have a 5 year waranty, but just an FYI. If you do decide to take them apart, be careful not to drop any screws.

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
Thanks Graham :D. Again .... :)

I finally found some time where my wife would let me play around with the speakers. I unplugged my Energy Take 2.2 speaker from the rear and placed it at the centre in replacment of the CC370. I played the scene again and the crackle was the same. I guess it's not my Monitors, which is kinda nice. But now that means I have to troubleshoot some more. It's either the 5.1 track itself or something else in my system. I kinda doubt Lucas would let a problem like this happen with his THX certification and stuff ....

Can anyone with a copy of SW EP2 try this on their system ? The wife and kid are now watching TV on our HT so I can't really get a timestamp at the moment. It's about half way through the movie and Anakin is tinckering with some of his old gadgets. He's then says "Life was so much simpler fixing things", and then he goes on about "Slaughtering them like animals". I'm sure you guys know the scene :) (it starts off right at a chapter break). Anyways, I would GREATLY appreciate it. Thanks :)

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
Ok, I think the distortion could be bad power in my old house. Whenever we use the washer or microwave, the lamp thats plugged into the same outlet as my HT dims considerably. Has anyone ran into problems like this ? It's not just SW EP2 that creates distorion. I've watched a few movies last night and they all did the same things (some distorion during louder scenes. What does one do if their house bad power (dirty ?) ?.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks