What's new

Paradigms & Classical Music (1 Viewer)

DavidJW

Agent
I originally found this site looking for reviews on the JBL Studio series. I have since decided that I will be keeping the speakers for a while that I should spend a little more. I probably won't be in the market for speakers until next year, but if I was buying now this is what I would get(note speakers would also he used for HT) The room size would be a typical apartment room.
front: Studio 40 or 60
center: CC
Rear: Studio 20 or ADP
Sub: SVS or Servo-15
If I do buy these I will be taking a trip to Canadia:D
Ideally, I would like to save up for the 100's, but from what I have read I will need at least 200 w/ch. That means I would need an external amp so $2000 more dollars would be needed(I would just buy a 5 ch amp), which would cost too much currently. I thought that the 100's would be the best speakers music-wise, am I right? If I am right and the 100's would be the best and would be a 10/10 where would the 40's rate?(?/10)
What is generally considered to be the better musical setup large mains with no sub, or bookshelves with sub?
I originally was planning on getting an Onkyo 797, 898, or a DA5ES, but since these speakers are considered bright should I get a "warm" reciever. I know Denon's are warm, but what are Onkyo's considered?
I have read that the 40's have a better midrange so would that be better for classical music?
I have also read reviews on the Diva's? How would they compare to the Paradigms?
My goal was to have concert hall sound for approximately $2-3,000.(i.e. would want the speakers to play what was intended, not exaggerate any frequencies) Would the Paradigms fit the bill, or would another line be better?
Thanks for going through all of my questions, and if there are any other speakers that would sound as good or better than the Paradigms for $3,000 please let me know.
David
For those that are curious this is what I would currently get for my complete system. This is my first home theater so I'm going all out. Prices are approximate estimates from J&R, Oades, and A4Less.
Receiver Onkyo 898 (1100) Sony DA5ES (900)
SACD/CD Sony 555 (800)
Cassette Sony WA7ESA (300)
VCR JVC S9900 (400)
DVD Sony NS-7000p (275)
Cables AR Pro (350-400)
TV Sony WEGA 27" (750)or 32" (1000)
Total approx. $4000
With Speakers $6,000-$7,500
Later:
External 5 or 7 channel Amp (1500-2500) Parasound seems to go well with Paradigm.
Rear Surround Speakers S20 or ADP.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
What is generally considered to be the better musical setup: large mains with no sub, or bookshelves with sub?
I'll take bookshelves with sub any day of the week. You'll get smoother, deeper, & louder bass response with this method. (due to placement advantages of the LF driver) Additionally, I feel that many tower speakers in the

DavidJW

Agent
Thanks for the reply. That's good because 40's are roughly half the cost of the 100's. With the sub the price would be the same, but no a amp would no longer be necessary.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I have the 40's but have only heard the 100's once. I actually prefer the 40's with a sub to the 100's alone. Commenting on the "brightness" factor of the Paradigm Reference series. Depending on what you have for upstream components, they can be a little schrill on the top end, but VERY RARELY. Also, they take a while to break in (100 hours or so) and the top end really minimizes after this initial period. Mine are finally getting to where I don't expect much more improvement (2 months time now) and I agree with Greg. I very rarely have a situation where I listen to the music and feel it to be a little top end heavy. The ONLY piece of music in my entire collection which I feel this way is the SACD recording of Michael Jackson's "Billy Jean"..but that could just be the recording.

Great, great speaker, especially for the price.

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Would the Paradigms fit the bill, or would another line be better?
Given your taste in music, I would recommend auditioning the Monitor Audio line. A brand hailing from the UK, I think Monitor Audio could do more for your taste in music than Paradigm. Specifically, audition the Silver Series. If the budget can stretch, you can definitely treat yourself to the Gold series as well.

I have recently moved from Studio 40s to the MA Gold Reference 10s, and I haven't looked back. I still have a lot of respect for the 40's, but the GR10s are in a whole new world.

Ultimately, it comes down to how you will use the system. If music is a priority, consider the MA. If HT is more of an issue, the Paradigms will work well in both camps.

/Jeff

Tyson

Stunt Coordinator
I too feel the paradigms are a bright (but then again I am very sensitive to this particular voicing). Having said that, after some pretty extensive demo's a year ago, I found the 40's to be the gems of the whole reference line. Impressive to me that they sounded better than the 60's and the 100's.

BTW, if you do decide to get a sub, I highly recommend an external crossover unit (like the Paradigm X30), and a Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro (or BFD for short). The BFD can be used as a pretty sophisticated EQ, a necessity to get a smooth bass response from ANY room. IMO, taming room modes is the 2nd biggest improvement you can make (upgrading speakers is the 1st).

Ariel

Stunt Coordinator
don't know the size of your room and listening preferences but if you have a small room, the paradigm bookshelf (studio20 or 40) will be enough, easier to setup and you can save some money for other equipments.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks