What's new

Paradigm's - almost ready to buy - sub and surround advice (1 Viewer)

Lou Loomis

Stunt Coordinator
after reading the board endlessly for months on end, I may be ready to make a purchase.

because I'm in an apartment, I was all set to go the sat/sub route. I was thinking about the Paradigm Cinema Series for this. Then I kept reading about bookshelfs being a better call. So I figure size up front is not crucial, so I'm leaning toward the Paradigm Titans. Tried to hear the Energy 5.2's but they weren't hooked up at the store. I like the look of axiom's for their tiny surrounds (great for my apartment mounting purposes) but if I can't hear them anywhere, they're probably out of the picture (not going the demo and return route). plus I've heard the Titans and they sound impressive.

If I was in larger quarters, I'd just do 4 Titans all around. But space for the surrounds is a bit limited. They can't go behind the couch as it's up against the wall. So they'd have to flank it on either side. Stands won't work there so they'd have to go against the wall, angled at 90 degrees toward the listener on the couch. While they're not small, thought about the ADP70's mounted flush against the back wall, but was told they're better mounted on side walls (otherwise you're somewhat wasting the driver that faces away from you). SO, I thought perhaps Cinema Series would work for the surrounds. Paradigm's catalog says all their speakers are timbre matched, so I take it this could work? If it's only the surround channel, would I be sacrificing that much? If I had to I'd do Atom's in the rears, but they'd be quite bulky and odd looking where they'd be mounted.

Also, since I'm in an apartment, I can't really take full advantage of a sub the way I'd like. I feel like it would be like a Ferrari in the US - you'd never really be able to use it to it's full potential as it was designed. So, since I'm not looking to spend a ton of $, I thought I'd go lower end on the sub. Is this a bad call? An SVS for example would never be able to be pumped for fear of eviction. I've got the aura bass shaker in the couch on stand-by, so would a PB-10, wm40 or some other $150-200 sub be a good call? I don't want to cheapen the Paradigm's sound, but I don't want to spend more than I'm really going to utilize.

Thanks all.

Darren_T

Second Unit
Have you considered Atoms for the rears? I think the Paradigm Atoms are often overlooked, they are really quite nice for 150 a pair and are quite a bit smaller than the Titan with similar response and extension. If you are in an apartment and won't be looking to win SPL competitions :P you might consider 5 atoms and use the money saved for an improved sub. The sub can always be calibrated a bit low so as not to disturb the neighbors. My father-in-law is using the Atoms as his mains and they sound great for the price and size and paired with a sub they perform quite well. I used Atoms as my rears for a few years with Mini Monitor fronts and a CC-350 center. It was an excellent setup, I'm only now upgrading. You might consider a velodyne sub. Before my upgrade I was using a Velodyne CT-100 powered 10" subwoofer which would be great for an apartment. Very capable sub for the price.
There are a ton of different routes you could end up going. Heck, you could do the same thing I did with the Mini Monitors and Atoms with a CC-370 center and I bet you'd love it. I sure did and still do. I can't bring myself to sell my old system so I'm keeping it for the bedroom!
Darren

Jason Co

Second Unit
Lou,
As far as economical (I try not to use the word cheap) subs go I am a proud owner of a Sony SA-WM40. For the buck you can't go wrong with this sub. I just upgraded to an SVS but this sub was great for me. Here is a pretty good review of the Link Removed

mark rush

Stunt Coordinator
you might look at some of the Sunfire subs, small and very powerful, you can always turn it down if needed but if you get a cheap sub you will regret it, spend a little more on a quality sub
Mark

Lou Loomis

Stunt Coordinator
Darren,

I have considered Atom's for the rears. They're still a bit big for the mounting area I have, yet certainly smaller than the Titans. I'm not inclined to go with 4 Atoms all around. I a/b 'd them and thought the Titan's sounded significantly better. Wouldn't mind them as surrounds though. And the extreme of that thought (ie. my fronts are more important) was where I considered going for the Cinema series for the rears. Could be much more subtly mounted. If this is determined to be "dumb," I'll probably shy away from it. If the difference is marginal I'll consider it for the aesthetics.

As far as subs, I am considering the wm-40. putting too much money into the sub at this point is likely a waste, since I'll barely be able to use it without getting myself evicted. (SVS is too big size wise anyway). Would also look at some of the lower end JBL's and Polk's at J&R. I've enjoyed the sound of the latter in other's systems before.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Lou from hanging around for some time I am sure you have herd the option of going with a higher end sub and just cutting it back. Then when you do move you will be set sub-wise. I know this does take a bit more $ but it will save $ in the long-run. If your only concern is using your sub to its full potential imo I would go the better sub rout. I wish I would have done this starting out but I definitely understand not doing so. Remember you did say waste.I think the three brands and size you mention will work for you in a apt. considering restraint. I started out with the WM-40 for a $135 and was quit impressed with it for the money. You still could get yourself evicted with the WM so be on guard. Good Luck.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
How about the Paradigm Micros? They are just one notch down from the Atoms and are quite small. I've been considering buying a pair to go with my new Titan fronts.

Bill Street

Stunt Coordinator
I have Titans for my fronts and Micros for my rears. I too live in an apartment and this setup works really well for me! The Micros are great little punchy speakers!

Bill Street

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Micros are too small, and do not go low enough, IMO. Even the Atoms are a bit too lacking in bass for my taste. Ask your dealer if you can borrow a pair to try out, and see how they sound.

Lou Loomis

Stunt Coordinator

even for just the surround speakers? with a sub, do I need that much low end for the rears? that's why I was thinking the Cinema Series for the rear would be good for the space. But the Micro suggestions, while a bit bigger, might be a good compromise. I guess I just figured I didn't need as much low end for the surrounds, but could be mistaken. (like the axiom micro, for example have bookshelf fronts and tiny surrounds). Am I short changing the setup satisfying the aesthetics in a small apartment?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Aesthetics notwithstanding, for me personally, the Atoms didn't have enough oomph, even as surrounds. You would be surprised at how much is still sent to them, and I had them set to small with a fixed 100Hz x-over. I swapped them out for Titans and am happy with them. Price and size considered, the Atoms will work OK, but may not sound the best. With them set to small the difference is less noticable.
I wouldn't say you are short changing, but don't go too small. I would say you want something that can handle in the 60Hz range at least, and the Atoms are pushing that limit at 70Hz.
Most of the Polk subs I've heard are not that great. Don't worry about "wasting" the sub, you can always turn it down. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks