Paradigm Warranty Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael_Hml, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Michael_Hml

Michael_Hml Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

Does anyone know if the warranty on Paradigm Reference speakers transfers to a 2nd owner? I purchased a used pair of Ref 100's not too long ago and have just discovered that two of the woofers are non-functional. They didn't come with manuals, so I don't have anything to reference for the information.

If the warranty does not transfer, does anyone know of any place that will sell the spare parts directly to an end user?

Thanks,
    -Mike

2. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Although Paradigm's Tech Support told me the bottom pair of binding posts on the Ref 100's power the two 8" bass drivers, they could have been wrong (not really, but ...). As such, are the binding-post straps on so that both the top and bottom pairs of binding posts are connected to each other?

3. Michael_Hml

Brae,

One of the woofers is totally dead - I pulled it out, tested it... nothing. Even reading across the terminals with an ohm meter results in an open connection. That's the top woofer on one of the speakers. The bottom woofer in the other cabinet is in the same condition.

As for the straps on the binding posts - I don't use them - I run the speakers bi-amped.

-Mike

4. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

I don't think the warrenty tranfers but I'm noy sure on that. I will call tommorow to find out. Anyway I would go ahead and take them to a dealer they most likely have them in stock and can fix it on the spot.

5. Nick Cerretti

Nick Cerretti Stunt Coordinator

If you had the original receipt for the speakers, I'd be surprised if it wasn't under warranty. I don't think I've ever read a warranty that said it becomes void if change of ownership is made.

But like Don said, I'd just go down to the dealer and find out.

6. Michael_Hml

Don,

Unfortunately, they don't fit in my car. I had to borrow a friend's truck to get them home, and he sold it about two weeks ago. I'll have to see if my local dealer would allow me to just bring the drivers in, but considering I'm not a regular customer of theirs and I bought these used, I'm not expecting them to bend over backwards if I go to them looking for service.

-Mike

7. Bruce N

Bruce N Second Unit

Paradigm's warranty is not transferable. I have the manual in front of me and it states in the first line:
    "Warranty begins on date of original retail purchase from an Authorized Paradigm Dealer only. It is not transferable."
    There are very few manufacturers that have transferable warranties.
    Bruce

8. Michael_Hml

Nick,

No original receipt, unfortunately. I'm going to leave e-mail for the person I bought them from to see if he's still got it floating around anywhere... but it's pretty common for a warranty to only apply to the original purchaser, so it still depends on that. I sent Paradigm e-mail asking about that, but haven't heard anything back yet.

-Mike

9. Michael_Hml

Bruce,

Thanks for the info... that's what I suspected. My own fault for not buying them new... but it certainly sucks.

Now I need to find someone that stocks/sells replacement parts.

-Mike

10. Bruce N

Bruce N Second Unit

You're welcome Michael. I have a pair of 100s that I bought used and now one of the woofers has a nasty rattle so I'm in the same boat as you. I'm waiting for parts prices from my local dealer. Please keep us informed when you find info on replacement parts.

Bruce

11. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Michael_Hml, did you test these speakers out at the seller's home before you bought them, was the purchase made with the known condition, or did they die after the purchase.

You said you bi-amped them. Do you mind my asking what amp you were using? Keep in mind I am not trying to lead anywhere with this question, but rather I will be bi-amping my Studio 100's using a QSC Audio DCA-1644 when the time comes. This amp is more than capable of beating the crap out of these speakers, but I know moderation when its called for.

Still, I would like to know what the condition was at purchase and what was known. If you didn't test them prior to sale and nothing was mentioned then the seller is not to be trusted. On the same breadth, guess what you should have done, though?

Most Paradigm dealers will not stock extra drivers for Paradigm products. The dealers simply call Paradigm and either order it, or if the product is brand spanking new (see below) Paradigm will direct the dealer to issue complete replacements.

One of the reasons why Paradigm does not simply throw drivers into the field is that they timber-match drivers/speakers in the Studio Reference line. The boxes my 100's came in had the serial number for the speaker inside the box, plus the serial number of the matching speaker.

Now, I did have a pair of ADP surrounds appear to have a problem. The ADP surround speaker that turned out to be defective after 2-3 weeks of ownership got Paradigm to simply direct my dealer to issue a replacement for the match-set of ADP's. No questions asked, and no attempt to issue replacement guts (drivers, crossovers, etc.).

Interesting enough, I am about to have my integrated receiver replace (bought at the same time) because of a surround channel that has been going out intermittently. I now feel it was the receiver that killed that ADP surround as both happed to be associated with the right-surround channel.

Still, Paradigm's warranty is not about to get a complaint from me at this point in time. For what may very well have been the fault of the receiver, I got a new set of ADP surrounds. Kudos to Paradigm for that level of service in this event.

If I buy something used, speaker-wise, I do not expect the manufacturer's warranty to be in-effect. That's absurd! Why? Because it opens a door for abuse by those individuals that beat the crap out of their speakers and then resell them. Whether its the fault of the seller, buyer, or both, I would not expect this to be a knock on the manufacturer.

Yes, the 100's contain a couple of 8" bass drivers in each '100' speaker, but I doubt this condition would have happen without some sort of intentional abuse, or ignorance of what they were doing. These bass drivers are meant to compliment a subwoofer, not meant to replace a subwoofer.

I see Paradigm the least responsible at this point in time, as more information on the history of that pair of 100's is needed to be revealed.

12. Michael_Hml

Brae,

I'm not faulting Paradigm or the original seller. I hold nothing at all against either of them. I honestly do not know if this occured before or after the sale, so it would be grossly unfair of me to put any blame anywhere but on myself.

When I say that it sucks, I'm talking about the whole hassle of them being broken, replacing the drivers, track down the info, etc... I'm not complaining about Paradigm.

I chose not to listen to the speakers up front to save myself 2+ hours' driving time... so again, my own fault if they did have problems up front. The seller was going to be in a location closer to me, so I met him there and picked them up. At that time, I had sold my pre/pro and was in the middle of upgrading a few other things, so I had no way to test them out when I got home... I didn't even get to listen to them for several weeks after the purchase.

I did notice that when turned up past mid-level volume, there seemed to be something "off" with the sound - I wasn't sure if I had something out of phase or it was effects of the room or what else it might be (It was not a rattle, or distortion), but things have been hectic lately so I've had almost no time to play around with it. Last night I finally had a night to myself to listen and finally realized what sounded so "off" - missing the output from 2 of the 4 8" drivers.

So, who knows when it happened.... regardless of when, where, why, how, I need to fix them. I was asking a _question_ about the warranty, and I was actually expecting that it didn't transfer. Asking that question is reasonable, not absurd, as there are products who have warranties that transfer to subsequent owners. Paradigm's doesn't. No big deal. Even if it did, I wouldn't expect them to replace the drivers at their cost if they weren't found to be defective in some way.

Anyways, to answer your amp question - I'm driving them with 4 channels of a Sunfire Cinema Grand. I run them in "small" mode, crossed over at around 65Hz, with the bass handled by a Velodyne FSR-18... I'm definitely not expecting the 8" drivers to handle high levels of very low frequency energy.

-Mike

13. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

My first suggestion would be to contact Gary Takeda using the generci [email protected] email address. He has always responded with two business days, but this is also the holiday season. I think he may be able to direct you accordingly.
    Even though the units are not under warranty, there should be a route for which a repair can be conducted. I doubt, though, that Paradigm would be willing to simply sell you relacement drivers, but I could be wrong.
    Oh, I knew you were not holding fault with the manufacturer, but it does suck not knowing how/when the original problem occurred. If it happened while the original owner still had the speakers then that really sucks, and sucks more than if your amp happened to kill those drivers.
    Anyway, I have driven my 100's pretty hard, but not with the crossover so low. I've never attempted to go below 80Hz (THX), but I have run them as Large speakers. Let us know how you make out with Gary.

14. Michael_Hml

Just spoke with Gary - I decided to call him instead of waiting for E-mail.
    He was very helpful - he suggested that I first call my local dealer, which I did, and told me to call back if I didn't get anywhere with that. They were somewhat vague and not very helpful, so I called back. He gave me the information needed to order the replacement drivers.
    The two replacement drivers are $300 USD. Ouch.
    Considering I got the speakers at a very good price, it's not *that* bad in total, but now I'm near the price range where I could have driven to Canada and bought them new. Oh well. At least the shipping is cheap. [​IMG] $4.87 for both drivers via FedEx ground.
    -Mike

15. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Michael, who gave you that pricing? Was that Gary? You may want to contact a Paradigm dealer in Canada and see if they a) can sell you replacement drivers, and b) if they can ask how much, including shipping, in Canadian funny money.

Keep in mind that CAN$1.00 is about US$0.65 and is why many have literally driven to Canada to buy Paradigm products. BTW, is that $300 for a pair, or each?

16. Michael_Hml

Brae,

Yes, it was Gary. I'm going to check with Canadian dealers and see what I can come up with. It just seems a bit expensive for replacement 8" drivers.

I didn't even think to ask Gary if my existing drivers could be re-coned. I will call him back today and ask about that.

-Mike

17. Chris Popovich

Chris Popovich Stunt Coordinator

I ruined a woofer in my Studio 100's when moving them -they slipped out of my hands and I caught it by the lower woofer, misaligning the voice coil in the process.

They will sell you replacement woofers. I payed $175 to have one shipped to me by a dealer that I know and regard highly. Yeah, it's expensive, but I was happy to have my sound back!

Chris

18. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

If you have a second Paradigm dealer near, You may want to give them a call. It seems your mileage can vary greatly from dealer to dealer.
    Does the original selling dealer not have a sales receipt on file that the person you purchased from could get you a copy? Most dealers tend to keep a copy.

It is correct very few speaker warranties are transferable.
    I know that Mirage warranty is transferable, This takes some of the worries away from purchasing used.
    Best of luck.

19. Michael_Hml

Unfortunately, there's only one "local" dealer - although I'm going to try calling a wider area on Saturday to see what I can find, including Canada.

I haven't talked to the person I purchased them from yet, I am actually going to leave him some e-mail now and see where he bought them.

-Mike

20. Michael_Hml

Hmm... so much for the re-coning plan.

According to what I was told in E-mail from Paradigm this afternoon, it costs the same as buying new drivers.

-Mike