What's new

Paradigm vs nOrh (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone compared the monitor line to the nOrh 4? I know nOrh gets a lot of praise and I love the look of it. I could sell my whole paradigm set up (Monitor 7, atoms rear)and get 5 ceramic 4s for $850. I just want to know if it would be worth it. I know I should audition myself, but I would like to hear others impressions. My receiver is an Onkyo 575x.
--
Holadem

I own the nOrh 4.0 video set your thinking about buying, and I'm very happy with it. I auditioned Paradigm before buying the nOrhs, but only the bookshelf models, mostly the mini-monitor. I think the nOrh 4.0s beat the mini-monitor easy, but I'm not sure they could take on the Monitor 7s quite as well.
The main reason I say this is that the 4.0s have virtually no bass output, they roll off at about 60hz, and since you're used to the very large presence of a tower speaker, you might not be totally happy with the 4.0s. Now, if you have a very good sub (I use the SVS-2039PC), then you can compensate. However, I think I would recommend looking a little farther up the nOrh product line.
The nOrh SM6.9s would probably make you very happy. Everyone that hears they says they are just plain amazing. I haven't heard them myself, but I gather they are better in every respect than the 4.0, with the biggest advantage being good bass output. The SM6.9 will go down to 40hz very well, which is much closer to the extension you get with the Paradigms, but probably cleaner and tighter. You also get that incredible nOrh sound that I know I prefer over Paradigm.
I've seen quite a few people go with 3 ceramic 4.0s and 2 SM6.9s for a HT system. You Onkyo 575x would probably power these well enough, running them small during HT would help. In the future you could look at getting a stronger integrated amp, or separate amps for at least the 6.9s.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I could sell my whole paradigm set up (Monitor 7, atoms rear)and get 5 ceramic 4s for $850.
You could. Do you have any real reason to?
I have heard few Paradigms and no nOrhs, but if I were you, I'd save up for a bigger jump in quality. In my completely inexperienced opinion, I think your proposed actions would be more of a move sideways than a move up.
Of course, if anyone has heard both speakers, their opinion holds much more value here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks