Paradigm vs nOrh

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Holadem, Oct 25, 2001.

1. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Has anyone compared the monitor line to the nOrh 4? I know nOrh gets a lot of praise and I love the look of it. I could sell my whole paradigm set up (Monitor 7, atoms rear)and get 5 ceramic 4s for $850. I just want to know if it would be worth it. I know I should audition myself, but I would like to hear others impressions. My receiver is an Onkyo 575x.
    --
    Holadem

2. Ben Reierson

Ben Reierson Extra

I own the nOrh 4.0 video set your thinking about buying, and I'm very happy with it. I auditioned Paradigm before buying the nOrhs, but only the bookshelf models, mostly the mini-monitor. I think the nOrh 4.0s beat the mini-monitor easy, but I'm not sure they could take on the Monitor 7s quite as well.
    The main reason I say this is that the 4.0s have virtually no bass output, they roll off at about 60hz, and since you're used to the very large presence of a tower speaker, you might not be totally happy with the 4.0s. Now, if you have a very good sub (I use the SVS-2039PC), then you can compensate. However, I think I would recommend looking a little farther up the nOrh product line.
    The nOrh SM6.9s would probably make you very happy. Everyone that hears they says they are just plain amazing. I haven't heard them myself, but I gather they are better in every respect than the 4.0, with the biggest advantage being good bass output. The SM6.9 will go down to 40hz very well, which is much closer to the extension you get with the Paradigms, but probably cleaner and tighter. You also get that incredible nOrh sound that I know I prefer over Paradigm.
    I've seen quite a few people go with 3 ceramic 4.0s and 2 SM6.9s for a HT system. You Onkyo 575x would probably power these well enough, running them small during HT would help. In the future you could look at getting a stronger integrated amp, or separate amps for at least the 6.9s.

3. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

4. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

OK Dokey!
    I will leave it at that then [​IMG]
    Thanx!
    --
    Holadem