What's new

Paradigm vs. Klipsch (1 Viewer)

After weeks of searching and auditioning, I have finally narrowed down my speaker choices to the following:

Paradigm-
Front: Monitor 7 (~$749)
Center: CC-370 (~$379)
Surround&Rear: ADP-370 (~$1,460)
Sub: PS-1200 (~$650)
Total Price: ~$3,236 (before negotiating)

Klipsch-
Front: RF-25 (~$898)
Center: RC-35 (~$359)
Surround&Rear: RS-35 (~$1,080)
Sub: RW-12 (~$595)
Total Price: ~$2,932.70 (before negotiating)

Because I can't listem to these systems in a side-by-side comparison, I am having a difficult time deciding between the two. Therefore, I am seeking outside experiences (good or bad) with either system to help me decide.

Does anyone have any recommendations or any experience with either system? (By the way, my home theater is 14' long x 12' wide, my A/V receiver is a Denon 3803, using a 7.1 speaker arrangement; if that helps anyone to steer me in one direction or the other).

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Steve Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
I auditioned basically the same systems and ended up with the Paradigms, except that I got the PW-2200 sub. I originally intended to buy Klipsh on reputation alone, but when I auditioned them, I didn't like the sound of the horn mid/highs.

I am very satisfied with my choice although upraditis is afflicting me, making me want to add a second pw-2200 and trade the speakers for the studio series.

Cameron Wright

Stunt Coordinator
how much more would a PW-2200 be over a PS-1200..

I started out with a 1200 a loved it.. Sold it after a while then started the hunt for a sub... I probably had about 7 sub I was able to take from from B&Ws, Every Boston and a SERVO-15, PW-2200.. and the new V2 or V3 PS-1200 I ended up keeping the 2200.

It sounds much better then the 1200 in every way. I think its only a couple hundred more... The 1200 sounded ok on its own.. but beside the 2200 it just went home.. :)

also see if you can but a nice deposit down and bring both the B&W and Paradigm mains home... or maybe just one of each... or if only one store allows you to bring them home for a test... Bring them to the other store :) You dont know until you ask.. I had my Boston 965's beside a pair of B&W 603s and a Anthem amp... (none were mine :P ) and again I ended up keeping the Bostons as the B&Ws sounded so bad beside them.

Oh and I would personally go with the Paradigms

Actually I Just checked Paradigms site and it looks like they have a new PW sub.. the PW-2100 It looks like the only diff from the 2100 and the 2200 is its a 10inch not a 12 ( but same 400W wamp).... I just keep finding more and mroe.. check out the Seismic™ 12 lol...

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Bill

I just purchased the exact same speakers (minus the sub). I haven't got them completly set up yet, but so far they sound excellent. I will not be taking them back! I didn't have a chance to compare them to Klipsh. I have them hooked up to a Yamaha HTR-5590. I ended up getting all five speakers for $1307. So you definately have room to bargain. This is just a suggestion, but if I was you I would skip the paradigm sub and get a SVS 20-39. They run less then $650 shipped to your door and are pretty amazing. I compared my SVS to paradigm's top sub (the $800 one) and I am convinced the SVS is better. The whole setup cost around $2000. I am really happy with it.

Frank

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
Frank is right.....a Paradigm sub (decent) is no match for an SVS.

I have heard quite a few Paradigm subs..and it takes a lot more money in their line to start to equal what an SVS can do.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I thought about the SVS sub, but I'm a bit nervous about buying something I haven't heard. I know they have a money back guarantee, but I'm still out the shipping cost.

Does anyone have any opinions on the horn vs. dome tweeters? Again, because I couldn't do a side-by-side comparison, I can't be sure whether or not I heard a difference. If there is one, it wasn't obvious to me.

If I went with Klipsch, would all the horns in small room with 7.1 be to "tinny?"

Cameron Wright

Stunt Coordinator
I hear ya. If I was in the states I would consider getting a SVS sub and seeing whats all the hype about... but I'm in canada and the SVS sub would cost me a arm and leg... and maybe another arm.

When I was looking for speaker I heard some Klipsch speakers and the horn tweeters were so... Tinny or Bright or something.. but it almost hurt my ears..

MikeHU

Stunt Coordinator
Bill, I ended up with the Klipsch RB-35 fronts, RC-35 center and RS-35 surrounds (2). I have a Dennon 1801 for 5.1 . I opted for a Paradigm sub over a comparable Klipsch sub because I thought it sounded more pleasing in a side-by-side comparison. (that was before I ever heard of SVS - my loss, I guess). I use it for about 75% HT and 25% music, in a very large rectangular room. I am very happy with my Klipsch speakers, but did not do any side-by side with Paradigm. My music is heavy on the jazz and acoustic guitar, so perhaps I favor a brighter sound. To me, it just seemed to have a little more presence than some other speakers I tried. I personally do not believe the Klipsch to be overly bright, but would recommend you give both systems a listen for yourself. I suspect you couldn't go wrong with either. Good luck. Mike.

Tim_Stack

Second Unit
I have the Klipsch RF-25s - love 'em! I'm thinking that you could get a slightly better price than $898 - I got mine for $780 including sales tax.

Oren Paul

Stunt Coordinator
I am a Klipsch owner (Cornwalls, RC-7, RS-7's, KG5.5's). The Klipsch Sub does not compare to the SVS. The klipsch have a very high SPL per watt which can come across as bright, especially in a showroom.

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Bill, I was also nervous about getting a sub that I could not demo. I am extremely glad I did it now. Try it, I gaurentee you won't send it back. If you happen to be coming through Nebraska I would be glad to give you a demo of what you are thinking about getting.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I'm very happy with my Klipsch and SVS. Klipsch were at the end of my demo quest and I was very surprised. I think I was half way expecting a fingernail chalkboard experience with them. Long story short I wound up with the RB-75s up front with the C-7 and the RB-35s in back. I have no desire to upgrade and it's been a good six months or so;) I can see going six years with these. I totally understand others looking for a different sound though. I really liked my past speakers also but the Klipsch reference line for the $$ serves my tastes a little better. Got to have the horns. They might not be for you considering we are all different.

As far as being nervous about a SVS sub? understandable, but to many out there that will tell you different. I held off myself and now consider it a waste of time and $$. I would be surprised if you felt different after trying one that is right for your room. There are other good options out there for your $$ also but I am admittedly partial to SVS from the experience I have had with them and their product.

Good Quality Bass for your $$ and workmanship on top of their customer service is very hard to beet imo.

mackie

Supporting Actor
I've owned Klipsch - different model - and loved them. I own Paradigm - different model - and I love them. They are both good speakers, and I don't think you'd make a mistake if you went with either one. The only mistake to be made is to let someone else pick your speakers...

You're right mackie, I need to make the decision myself, but good or (and especially) bad experiences of others can be helpful. If the product is "good", but the service is poor, I would rather select a different "good" product.

Any feedback on the customer service for Paragigm or Klipsch?

As far as sales service, here's what I've seen:

I auditioned the Paradigm at a small audio shop and received really good service. The sales guy switched out speakers for me, we moved them from one room to another, listened to several types of music and movies, and switched back and forth to compare several paradigm systems back to back.

I auditioned the Klipsch at UE and received fair to poor service. To listen to the fronts, we were in one "Listening Room", to listen to the centers, we went to another "Listening Room", and to listen to the sub we went out to the middle of the showroom to a theater "display." I never did get to hear the surrounds. And most importantly, I never did get to hear the system as a whole.

I was planning on going to another UE across town to see if they have the Klipsch set-up all together in a "listening room." The only reason I've got Klipsch on the short list is because they are less expensive than the Paradigm, and I really liked the sound of the RF-25 (by itself and listening to music).

So, depending on the service I get at the other UE, I may just be coming home with a brand new set of Paradigms (possibly minus the sub :)

Additionally, I will be using these speakers for primarily HT use (95%). So MikeHU, your feedback on the sensitivity (brighter sound) is quite helpful.

Frank Lee - where did you purchase your Paradigms?

Any other suggestions?

Cameron Wright

Stunt Coordinator

Thats pretty stupid... Maybe a newfie set it up..

As for serive I think Paradigm is good. although I have never needed any repair to be done at the store I looked at Paradigms they did that same thing... Moved them around to the system I or people wanted that kinda thing.

Also there made in Canada :D

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Bill,

I bought my Paradigms through a Video Kingdom store in Kearney NE. I had to talk them down quit a bit (from $1928). The Video Kingdom store in Grand Island NE has the speakers regularly priced at $1307. I used thier price to talk down the store in my town.

Good luck on whatever you purchase!

Sam Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
IMHO the paradigm line is considerably better in midrange clarity, detail and imaging. The klipsch to me sounds cheap and reminds me of best buy. I also would DEFINITELY get an SVS sub. They are incredible and blow the paradigm/klipsch equivalent (for the price) out of the water.

I just went through the speaker hunt and settled on the Klipsch RF-35,Rc-35,RS-35 and have on order an SVS PB2+.

I auditioned the speakers against very warm Energy's and a few other brands, and prefer the Klipsch. But am going with the sub totally on recommendations sight unseen.

Personally I like the bright sound of the speakers over the warmer comparisons. To me they are more vibrant and make the music seem more "alive" if that means anything. The system is mainly for HT and also music. Jazz, classical, are my style, my wife likes 70's pop and disco, which will ruin any good speakers.

I am thrilled with the speakers and they are not even broken in yet. I cannot wait for the sub to arrive, so I can start peeling paint from the walls. I have heard but cannot confirm that the receiver makes a difference (I got an Onkyo, but auditioned the speakers with a Yamaha, which is supposed to be very bright on its own).

BTW- You can probabaly dicker about 15-20% off the list prices at a shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks