What's new

paradigm-vs-klipsch (1 Viewer)

Abe Rodrigue

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all-
I have been doing research on speakers for a while now and still feel as lost as I did when I started.

I need 2 bookshelf speakers and a center channel.

I have all ready decided on:
receiver: denon 3805
rear and surrounds: jamo in-wall speakers
sub: svs PCi 20-39

For the bookshelves I was looking at:
klipsch reference series rb-35
and
paradigm monitor series monitor-3

Centers as follows:
klipsch rc-35
paradigm cc-370

does anyone have experience with either of these speaker series? or is there another brand and series that I should check out?

Oh, there is no place locally that I know of that I can compare the two head to head.

Thank you in advance.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
OK, like other "this vs. that" threads, I have a feeling this might get ugly. ;)

Actually, yesterday, I took some time to listen to several speakers in my area. I actually liked the Paradigm Titans, but never heard the monitor series that you are considering.

Then, I heard the RB-25 (a step down from the RB-35.) I also liked the RB-25. I listened to them with the RC-25. The sounds were oh so nice. Finally, I then listened to the RF-25 speakers where the authorized dealer has a great price on them: $650 + tax for the pair.

At this stage, I'm 90% set on getting Klipsch. However, I wish I could hear the Paradigms again - and also hear a pair of the studios, too, to make sure I'm making the right move.

Even though you don't have a local place to listen to the speakers on your short list, I'd still look further - even a few hundred miles if you have to take a "road trip" some weekend. It's always good to know what your buying - and that you've heard it first - even though the sounds might be a bit different when they get into your house and into your listening room. :)

Abe Rodrigue

Stunt Coordinator
thanks wayne- I was just wondering about quality and general sound quality etc. If one is a little "softer" or "brighter" I don't think that I will be able to tell the difference. I am just looking for a nice quality speaker at a good price.
Oh, I have listened to both speakers, but in seperate stores, with seperate types of rooms.

Thanks.

CharlieMakavoy

Auditioning
I heard the RB-75s, even with a sub. It sounded like a clock radio paired with a subwoofer.

Klipsch's insanely high treble makes it all sound tinny overall in my opinion. I think you could do better with Paradigm. Although, Axiom's M22s seem to be better for the price than paradigm, with flatter response. :)

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
I do have one comment on the Paradigm selection. I don't think the Monitor 3s would be the best choice with a sub as I've heard they trade mid-range clarity for bass quantity. I would either spend the little extra to get Monitor 5/7s or save some money and go with mini-monitors.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

See, that's where different ears hear different things. I don't perceive the Klipsch speakers as sounding tinny or bright. Actually, I think the Athena floorstanding speakers are brighter and even the JBL E90s, too.

It all depends on the listener, their room, what they listen too and what they use to drive it.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
The Reference Klipsch series were one of my last speakers to demo. I thought I was in for a session of harsh, bright hi treble listening. I was very pleasantly surprised in what I heard and decided to give the RB-35s and the RC-35 a few weeks at home.

After a few weeks I moved the 35s to the back and committed myself a little further with the RF-5 towers up front with the RC-7 center. To me it was as close to heaven as I have heard except the size of the towers bothered me. I had been used to large B&W DM 602 S3 books so I traded in the RF-5 towers for the RB-75s with the same matching 1.7 tweeter that the RC-7 has. Very detailed and no lack of bass in my perception. I have ran them as large just to see how they would do? I consider them to be one very stout book. I am just as happy with the RB-75s as I was with the RF-5 towers.

The RB-35 with the 35 center did very well also. I use a Denon which generally is considered a natural to a little warmer receiver. I think HK would be a very good receiver with the Klipsch reference line also. Well to my ears anyway.

Good luck in your search and I hope you find that sound your looking for. :emoji_thumbsup:

Abe Rodrigue

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for all of the info guys. The guy trying to sell me the paradigms told me that the klipsh were junk(he said they were cheaply built and we just louder, which makes people say that they sound better). I had a feeling from the get go that he was just saying this to his own advantage. That is why I came here, for a comparision and some unbias opinions. Thanks for all the help, any more opinions on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
I agree with Justin. Try and avoid the Monitor 3 if possible. Go for the Mini or Monitor 5's. The 8" driver in the M3 IMO, is a little muddy when compared to the 6.5" found in most of the monitor line. I myself preferred the Paradigm sound (even though I liked the Klipsh RB-35 too). For me the Digms had a more natural mid-range that I preffered. I ended up with the Montior 7's and I couldn't be happier for the money I spent. I'm listening to CD's in my collection all over again and hearing things I never heard before :). It's alot of fun. Good luck!!!

Merimac Hamwich

Stunt Coordinator
I own the Paradigm Mini-Monitors, Monitor 5's and the CC370. I LOVE them with a passion no other man hath for his speakers. I highly recommend the monitor series. I have a Sherwood Newcastle R-863T reciever and Teac DV-10d DVD/CD player driving them. The sound that I recieve is so crisp and clear that it is easy to mistake your current location. Attending the Eric Clapton concert... no, wait, I'm at home.

Steve Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't think that Klipsch and Paradigm sounded much alike at all. I went in all ready to buy Klipsch from thier reputation and name recognition. However, when I listened to them, I didn't like the Horn mids/tweeters. I asked the salesman what else he had in that price range. That's when he showed me the Paradigm Monitor 9's I left with. I'm very happy with mine (also the CC_370, ADP-370's and PW-2200), but like most, the upgrade bug has hit and I'm drooling over the studio series and an SVS PB2+.
I'm pushing them with a Marantz SR-6300

PS. I also listened to the B&W 600 series.

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
If you can't do a head-to-head comparison, then probsbly the best alternative is to put together a standard audition set of CDs, etc. that you think you know very well. Spend some serious auditioning time w/ each set of speakers, and make sure you're in control during the auditions - you run the volume and keep things as even as possible. Yeah, the room differences can still make a huge difference, but at least you'll have some common basis for comparison.

Many folks seem to agree that both the Klipsch & Paradigm have their own sounds - there are definitely differences, but that doesn't automatically make one better for you than the other. Your age, physiology, personal preferences, listening environment - all of those make the choice unique for you. We can really just give you our opinions, and they really just count for us. Yeah, I admit I have too many Pdigm goodies (Studios in the big room, the Monitors in the den) but it's also Axioms that have caught my ear now (for the $$$). Doesn't mean any of that is best for you.

All that said - I'd second the suggestion on the Mini Monitors if you're using a decent sub. I use them as surrounds now but they can do surprisingly fine duty as fronts. If you prefer bookshelf vs floorstanding they could be a seriously good option. Unless you see the light & decide to spring for S2s... ;~)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Both are very good brands (I have even toured the Klipsch mfg. facility and they are very far from junk). Personally, I went with Paradigm Monitor 9s for my mains and I'd put them up against anything else in that price range for overall clarity and quality sound.

Peter_D

Agent
You really need to listen to them with the same setup. I listend to alot of speakers and finally bought Klipsch RF7, RC7 and 2 RS7,s to me they just souned so life like. Everyone hearing is diffrent so good luck.

WendyS

Stunt Coordinator

GRRRRRRRRR How I despise salespeople!!!!!
An immediate turn off for me is when a salesperson chooses to knock down the competition, rather than sell his/her product on its own merits.

Abe Rodrigue

Stunt Coordinator
all of the info is great guys. you are the best! I never
tried out the mini-monitors, but I think I will have to give them a look.

Thanks again.

Abe Rodrigue

Stunt Coordinator
Well it is a done deal. I my klipsch rb-35's are on the way. I got the pair for 425 dollars (brand new) delivered to my house.
Sounded like a good deal to me, so I bit. Hopefully I will enjoy. Thanks again for all of the help.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Abe, Good price on the RB-35s. If you get a chance, E-mail me a link to the vendor you used. I'd be interested in checking out their other speaker options, too. :)

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Abe, I'm curious on why you chose the Klipsch over the Paradigms. I have Klipsch reference speakers also but I was contemplating giving the Paradigms a listen from all the good things I read about them here. What differences did you hear?

Merimac Hamwich

Stunt Coordinator
Seems to me, from what was said in this thread, he did not buy based on sound difference. He bought becuase he found a good deal on the Klipsch.

Not my way of purchasing speakers, but to each his own.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks