1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Paradigm vs. JBL decision

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Alan Wise, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Alan Wise

Alan Wise Stunt Coordinator

Hello All,
    Thanks for the help selecting a receiver.
    Now it's time for the speakers.
    I am considering Paradigms (Titans front, Atoms Suround and rear center, C-170 front center) or JBL's (5-N26II's and one NCenterII)
    What are your opinions for 90% movies, 10% music?

My other components are as follows:

Sony KP57WS510 RPTV
    Yamaha RX-V640 receiver
    Sony DCP725 DVD player.

My theater room is 15 X 15 with a 9' ceiling.
    My floor has a low cut Berber style carpet.
    I have a cloth covered sofa and matching overstuffed chair (the captains seat) and ottoman.

Aslo, would Titans all around (still the c-170 center) be better than the Titan/Atom combo?
    All suggestions and opinions are welcome.

Thanks, Al. Wise

2. Alan Wise

I forgot to mention that my sub is an Acoustic Research PR1212 (12"-250 amp active, sealed, down throw).

Thanks again, Al. Wise

3. JeremyR

JeremyR Supporting Actor

Jeremy
    I have that exact setup (Titans as mains, Atoms as surrounds, and cc-170 for my center) and I love it. I'm not sure it'd be necessary to step up to Titan's for surround, but I suppose you could. The cost isn't significantly higher. I'd say save the 25 or 30 bucks, get the Atoms for surrounds and buy yourself a couple movies.

4. Dah-Dee

Dah-Dee Supporting Actor

You could also try to hunt down JBL S36II or S36IIPM speakers at your local Best Buy; as discussed elsewhere in this forum, BB is clearing these out -- $129.99/pair for the S36II (gray cabinet, fabric grill), which is only available in-store, if your particular store has any left, and $149.99/pair for the S36IIPM (silver cabinet, hard grill), which was available only online at that price and has sold out, but which I've heard some folks have been able to pick up in-store for the same price (although the in-store display is currently marked $300/pair). In any event, this is an outrageously good deal, as these speakers are still selling most places for $400/pair and up. The S-CenterII has been available off and on at the Harman factory store (Harman owns JBL) and also at various auction sites, for $150-200, but many folks are just using an S36II or S36IIPM for the center. Happy hunting!

5. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

I've got Titans/Atoms and a CC170 in my setup. I'm very happy with them, even more so when combined with a good sub.
    I did a pretty elaborate comparison on Titans vs Atoms which could help you decide between those two Paradigm bookshelf models.Titans vs Atoms

I should add that from what I hear on this forum the JBLS are also a good choice. Personally I like the way they look as well.

6. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    I'm completely satisfied with my JBL S-series setup. 312 fronts, Scenter and 36's for rears.

7. Alan Wise

Thanks guys!
    I am going to demo both the Paradigms (Titans all the way around, and also with Atoms as surrounds, all with either the CC-170, or the CC-270), and the JBL's this weekend.
    If I go with the Paradigms I will end up with one extra Speaker because of buying them in pairs (5 will be used in my 6.1 system). Therefore, you would probably see me selling one speaker in the Hardware for Sale area of the
    forum.

Also, for what it is worth, has anyone tryed Aperion?
    Are the any good? I find it difficult to buy anything that I haven't demo'd.

Thanks again, Al. Wise