What's new

Paradigm vs Energy vs Monitor Audio (1 Viewer)

Edward D.

Auditioning
Looking for opinions or experiences on the following speakers: Studio 100's v.3, Veritas 2.4 & 2.3 and Monitor Audio GR60 & GR20. If I go with the studio 100's I would be getting 2 pairs for front and rear channels in a 7.1 system. If I went with the Veritas I would be getting the 2.4's for the front and the 2.3's for the rear. Also, on the Monitor Audio I would get the GR60's for fronts and the GR20's for rear. I have not heard any of these speakers but have done much research on the web and know that they are all great speakers. I will be upgrading my components prior to my speaker upgrade and am going with a Denon 3803 reciever with a Rotel 1095 amp to power the 5 main channels. Any help would be great. From reading the posts all the time I can see that there is an abundance of knowledge here that I can truely appreciate. Thanks

(Also, the sub that I will upgrade to will be the SVS PB2+)

John_ACa

Auditioning
Honestly, I have listened to 2 of these within the last 2 weeks and really you need to give the Mirage OM-7 & 9s a listen. They outperformed overall. Poeple say they don't image well but that is false.

Energy v2.4 - super clean, detailed, quick, pinpoint imaging but very small soundstage and forward sounding.

Studio 100 - neutral, lack detail, too laid back, average imaging.

OM-7 - excellent midrange, airy highs, good imaging, totally immersive for movies.

Thats just my opinion, but you should really try and audition the mirages before you decide.

Sanjivnpatel

Agent
I have fairly similar setup that you are proposing (mine may be lower on speaker side). I have Denon 1082 (similar to 3802 or 3803) I have SVS subwoofer and Monitor Audio bronze series. 2 Floorstanding, 1 center and four bookself for 7.1 setup. I love the combination. Center speaker might be little small for my taste, but I compensate it by having center channel a notch higher than others. It sounds great. Monitor Audio are amazingly clear speakers. Sound is unbelievably clear. Only speaker I thought clearer than these are B&W CM series. If price is not an issue get the Monitor Audio Gold series. If it is within reach, I beleive Silver series be the best price/performance.

Sanjiv

Kevin*Harley

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Denon 3803 and after many hours of auditioning I went with the MA Silver series (S8's up front) for my 5.1 setup. Sub is a Velodyne HGS-15.

Very happy with the results.

Kevin

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Wow...having enough $ to be able to have GR20's for the surrounds must be nice!!!

I am using GR20's as my mains, and GR10's for surrounds.

After doing a lot of listening tests, I felt the GR20's were the best for me, with the B&W's coming in very close. Close enough that I couldn't justify the extra expense compared with the Monitor Audio's.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I will be upgrading my components prior to my speaker upgrade and am going with a Denon 3803 reciever with a Rotel 1095 amp to power the 5 main channels
Why would you "upgrade" to a receiver if you are going to use an AMP to power the speakers? I would recommend going with full blown seperates, especially since you are going to be using some very nice speakers all the way around.

Might I suggest the Parasound Halo C 2? Highly regarded.

I am using a Sherbourn 7/2100 amp with the Halo. It has 200 wpc, with 5 seperate monoblocks. And TWO power cords! :)

Jon Musil

Stunt Coordinator
I just spent some time at the Monitor Audio site and was very impressed with their specs, looks and reviews.

I didn't do a dealer locate, so this is premature, can anyone recommend a good dealer with aggressive pricing? I think I have a crush on the Silver series and hope I can fit them into my speaker budget!

Jon

Gerry S

Stunt Coordinator
I auditioned the Paradigms and the Energy's. I ended up getting the Veritas 2.4's, 2.0C, and a pair of 2.0R's.

I'll give my vote to the Veritas over the Paradigms. I think the imaging and sound stage produced by the Veritas is extraordinary. The sound is very smooth and realistic. I know many will disagree with me, but the Paradigms (studio 60's) sounded very bright to me. I knew the Veritas were for me the first time I auditioned them.

It sounds like you have a good plan in mind: I would be very envious of someone with 2.4's up front and 2.3's in the back! Whatever you choose, your final choices are all quality brands. I don't think you'll go wrong with any of your choices.

-Gerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks