Paradigm vs Boston Acoustic

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GeoffryB, Nov 17, 2001.

1. GeoffryB

GeoffryB Auditioning

I want to replace my two old JBL Speakers(LX-44) and buy a full set of 5 speakers for my new home theater system, I have a Sony ES333 and I have a speaker budget of $1,500. I have narrowed it down to Paradigm and Boston Acoustic, but am having a difficult time making a decision between the two.
    Q1. For the Paradigms is there a big differnece between the Phantom and Monitor families of speakers? And what about matching the center and subwoofer?
    As I sit through the "Matrix" demo at the Paradigm dealer, I am always amazed on how clearly I hear the bullets hit the ground during the shoot out in the building lobby. I never even noticed it before at home. What I am concerned about is that the dealer uses a very high end Arscam/Arscom HT and it won't sound close to the same when I get home with my Sony.
    Q2. What are comparable Boston Acoustics in this price range?
    p.s. my room (i.e. basement) is about 15'x20'
    Geoffry, grateful for advice

2. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

The Monitor series are considered better speakers than the Phantom family. The monitor uses a different tweeter. For less than $1500 I recommend the Monitor 7's for mains, the CC-370 center and Mini-Monitors for surrounds. This is exactly the set-up I have and really like the sound.
    As far as subs, this is not as critical in matching with the other speakers. So your choices are wide open. FWIW, I have the Paradigm PS-2200.
    Good luck and remember to choose the combination that sounds the best to you. There is no right or wrong choice, except for the over-marketed, over-priced Bose speakers. [​IMG]

3. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    As far as the Paradigms go... there is pretty much a speaker that coincides with another in every line. For example the Phantom, the Monitor 7, and the studio 60s all may look like they are the same speaker. They all are about the same size, have 1 tweeter and two 6 1/2 woofers. The differences are, the monitor and studio line both use 1" tweeters, while the phantoms (performance series) uses a 3/4" tweeter. The woofer quality also steps up each time. Ther performance series uses "doped" paper and foam surrounds, while the monitor series uses polypropalene (sp?) and the studio line takes another step up. IMO, having owned the Phantoms, and Monitor 7s, I would say the Monitor line is worth the price difference. The bass is deeper and tighter and the imaging is much better.
    As far as the BAs go, my only experiance is the fact that my roomate owned a pair of three way bookshelves with an 8 inch woofer. They did not sound that good. The bass was unnaturally bloated IMO and they distorted more easily using the same amp.
    ------------------
    My Website: http://www.hometheaterfanatic.com
    e-mail me: [email protected]
    My DVD Profiler
    Paradigm Lover

4. Vietor

Vietor Stunt Coordinator

Question about those materials Charles,
    The monitor line says that it uses
    165mm (6.5") with diecast chassis, ICP™ injection - moulded co-polymer poly - propylene cone, Apical™ former
    And the performace line, with the exception of the micro, uses,
    165mm (6-1/2in) poly - propylene cone, die-cast chassis
    Those are taken from the mini monitor, and Titan respectivly. Now the monitor is obviously more verbose, now I am wondering if someone can help me translate a few things.
    ICP™ injection ?
    I assume that is talking about the manufacturing process of the driver.
    moulded co-polymer ?
    That gotta be good, but WTF is it?
    poly - propylene cone?
    Superficialy the same between the lines, in name atleast, same basic material, but big productioni quality difference?
    Apical™ former?
    I dunno what the performance line uses, looks like foam rubber or something to me, no wonder thier not bragging about it.
    So can someone help translate this for me?
    I won't even ask about,
    165mm, MLP™ mica-polymer cone, AVS™ diecast heatsink chassis, 38mm voice-coil
    from the studio line,
    Though anyone is welcome to educate me. . .

5. Bill Bradstreet

Bill Bradstreet Stunt Coordinator

Not to widen your options more, but have you looked at http://www.dcmloudspeakers.com/ ? I've liked DCM in the past, but haven't heard their new stuff. The price seems to be right though.
    You can get a complete HT setup including a sub for $1500 easily. IMO, they are worth a look.
    I'm using my DCM bookshelf speakers in my townhouse as my mains and my JBL bookshelf speakers as my surrounds.
    I will be upgrading when I move. I'm hoping I can have a listen to the DCM's before I make my final decision. Right now I'm tending to swing towards a Klipsch XX-3 setup. It is a little more expensive, but The speakers are slimmer, which I like.
    I just keyed in on your budget and that's why I'm suggesting the DCMs. I've never had a problem with them. My father has a set of Time Windows in his house in Maine. They are absolutely amazing. He doesn't have a sub in the setup and I've never noticed. These speakers work amazingly well in a log home (round logs) where sound can bounce all over the place. I was very impressed with their ability to project a 3-dimensional image.
    $0.02

6. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I guess I didnt realize that the performance line didnt use paper cones. It sure looked like it from my cc-170 and adp-170s. The other performance line speakers have non-removable grills. As far as the co-polymer thing... I dont know unless it means their is more than one polymer, but poly in polymer and polypropelene already means multiple, so beats the heck out of me. I always thought the "former" thing had something to do with the voice coils, but I dont build drivers, so.... Sorry I wasnt much help, but my suggestion would be, ask your salesmen to hook up a pair of mini monitors stacked on top of a pair of phantoms. That way it will be very easy to switch the connection, and you can tell what benefits you get from the different technology between the performance line and the monitor line for roughly the same price.
    ------------------
    My Website: http://www.hometheaterfanatic.com
    e-mail me: [email protected]
    My DVD Profiler
    Paradigm Lover

7. Ariel

Ariel Stunt Coordinator

I owned the phantoms before and comparing it to minimonitors, the minimonitor has a much extended highs but becomes too bright for some music. the bass of the phantoms is a little deeper but a little loose. For the price of the phantoms, they are very good speakers. for ht, you will really need a subwoofer for either models. if you still have some cash left, i suggest that you go listen to the reference studio20 or 40.

8. GeoffryB

GeoffryB Auditioning

I hadn't actually priced the Phantoms yet, I just assumed that they would be considerably cheaper. If they are close to the same price, I would definitely rather stay with the Monitor family. I was quoted the Monitor 7s at $650/pr, but the salesman said that if I tried to match the PDR-10 or 12 Subwoofer, it would be too small. Then when he saw that the whole thing was taking me over budget, he said that the Monitor 7s were too big for my room and they would blow me out.
    Now I am confused a bit, or is he a shyster.
    GeoffryB

9. Ariel

Ariel Stunt Coordinator

go to your dealer and demo the mini-monitors (front & surround) + cc370 they might sound good to you. i think it will cost about $1000. for the change, since you are in usa, SVS sub i think is the best sub that you can get for your system.