What's new

Paradigm vs B&W (1 Viewer)

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
I think that I am predisposed towards more lively sounding speakers, because on all fronts I found the B&W's to be too polite. When people say they are laid back speakers, they are not kidding. Much of the music I listen to varies widely in dynamic range and I did not find the B&Ws having the necessary impact.
I feel exactly what John stated. I have owned and listened to different models of B&W speakers (nothing as high up as the Nautilus though) and feel they might be better suited to more laid back kind of music. I listen to mostly techno and hard rock in which I felt the Klipsch speakers I now own presented this kind of loud dynamic music better. From what I read here alot of B&W owners tend to be older and listen to jazz or classical music. Now with that said I'm 32 years old and I very much like B&W's. They're my very close second choice of speakers. (I hope this doesnt offend older B&W owners) :b

EdwinL

Stunt Coordinator
Like I said, pick what you like. Don't let other people's preferneces affect your choice. As you know, hearing does change with age, so what might sound good today, might sound like garbage in 5 years. Take for instance ATC SCM12s. I heard them, and I hated them, but the retailer told me he'd pick them over the B&Ws any day. In time, I bet you that I'll be walking back to him, asking him for a STEAL DEAL....

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
Yohan, as you can tell, everybody has totally different tastes

on 1 hand you get people saying B&Ws are "laid back" (I have actually NEVER heard that one before) to "too Bright"

you get people who "love em" and others who "hate em"

(btw, in all my research, even from people that DON'T like B&Ws, I have NEVER heard that Paradigms are "more musical", I guess I learned a new things tonight, B&Ws are "laid back and less musical" or was that that they are "too bright"-----you get the point, go listen for yourself)

BrianKR

Second Unit
B&W's not musical?
Paradigm's more musical?
Someone hand me a gun because now I have heard everything ;)
I have (not until now) never heard the B&W speakers being referred to as laid back. Usually the only complaint (I myself have ever heard of them) is them being too bright, but most people confuse bright with accurate. For the money it's hard to find more musical and accurate speakers then B&W. I also don't buy the part of people saying they are better meant for classical and jazz. I play hard rock on my Nautilus all the time and they sound amazing.
Paradigm speakers are more forgiven matching hardware to them, that's a given. B&W speakers need an arranged marriage to find Nirvana.
The only time B&W speakers don't sound great is when you have a poorly written sound track. I am the strongest believer in "trash in trash out." Maybe this is why some say classical and jazz or string music sounds better on B&W's, because they are usually better recorded then rock or pop.
I have had both setups for over a year now and I have had them side by side for over 3 months at one point running off of the same amps and also different amps. Honestly there just isn't no comparison "IMHO". I have also done the comparison with CDM's as well. I borrowed them for 2 weeks from a local stereo shop while making up my mind which line of B&W's better suited my taste. The CDM line is a significant step down from the Nautilus line but IMHO they still outshined the Paradigm in every way.
I will tip my hat to the Paradigm being more dynamic then the B&W CDM's but B&W speakers just give you so much more.
Paradigm are more forgiven in placement and hardware. B&W's take more time to set up properly and to find what hardware will give you the best sound with them. It took me 4 different setups to find what I thought worked best for my Nautilus.

KeithR

Second Unit
LarryB, as usual, you and I agree so make that 3 :) Of course the board already knows my opinion of Paradigm and B&W, so won't go further.
All my hi end friends think the same fwiw....although i will say B&W has the best resale in the biz

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
I recently faced the same dilemma after reading all the posts praising the Paradigm Studio 100's. I auditioned those, as well as the 80's. I was READY to be impressed, and it never happened. I found the bass on the 100's to be VERY impressive. I also thought they sounded quite muffled in the midrange. I was also turned off by the cabinets on them as well. The tweeter was OK though. THEN, I listened to Viennas, Mirages, PSB's, Energys, and a few more. Still not satisfied. UNTIL I HEARD THE CDM 9NT's, WoW! I knew it the moment I heard them! I also listened to the 7's, but the mid was not as silky smooth as the 9's. The 9's have a Nautilus Midrange. They have been in my House for about a month, and keep getting better! I also went with the CDM CNT (nice). I was able to snag the whole setup for around 22% off at Bjorns in San Antonio. I listen to all kinds of music, as well as 5.1. I'm yet to be disappointed with them. The cabinets are SOLID WOOD as well. Ditto on the resale value!

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
I listened to the 40's vs the 602's and I liked the 40's more. They seem clean and tight and have more low end than the 602's. I think it would be a step down from the 80's to the 604's. But the CDM would be a step up but the price difference is huge

DonJ

Second Unit
I own a set of monitor 9's and I don't think the CDM 9NT's compare. Imaging was about the same, the CDM 9NT has tad more depth. But IMO CDM 9NT were flat no bass response at all and yes laid back is another word (I find that in a lot of magazine articles) The monitor 9's are so close in clarity I couldn't justify the 2000 big ones in price differnce. After clarity the bass response from the 9's just puts them over the top.

On another note I LOVE the B&W NATS 800 series. I plan om getting the signature 800's in the few years.

Jeff Ery

Stunt Coordinator
Both are Great brands and are somewhat similar but, as you can see, have enough differances to make people's ears the most effective tool in this decision making process...I wiil add that what I find interesting in this thread is the lack of mention of where to buy on-line ...It is becoming apparent to me that the HI-end dealers that are surviving seem to be carrying brands like paradigm, b&w, def tec. , rotel, etc.....does anyone else see this trend or is it just me? protected lines seem to be as important as sound quality to local b&m's......

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks