Paradigm vs B&W / Bookshelf vs Floorstanding

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by RyanCR, Jun 14, 2003.

1. RyanCR

RyanCR Auditioning

I have been looking around for a new pair of front speakers in the range of $1,000 USD. So far I have listened to Paradigm, B&W, Klipsch, and a few others. The following are my favorites as of today:

Paradigm Studio 40: 450$ each, bookshelf
    Paradgim Studio 60: 600$ each, floorstanding

B&W 602 S3: 300$ each, bookshelf
    B&W 603 S3: 500$ each, floorstanding

From what I have read you can't go wrong with either company. However I am a bit undecided what one to go with. If I go with bookshelf speakers I would need speaker stands which will most likely make up the price difference between the bookshelf and floorstanding.

I am tending to lean towards the 603's being 200$ cheaper than the Studio 60's but I am interested in other opinions.

I will be using these speakers in an existing setup. I listen to 60% music, 40% movies. I plan on upgrading my system as money permits starting with the speakers. I do have a subwoofer currently so I am not too worried about the difference in bass between the floor standing and bookshelf.

What are your thoughts? Thanks.

2. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Although I didn't even consider the floor standers, I had this same decision to make 1 year ago, paradigm studio 40's or B&W 602 S3's. Well I got a better deal on the paradigms so I went that route.

I liked the sound of both and couldn't make a decision. The decision was actually based on "looks" and the "deal" I got, I received the 4 40's and a CC for less than 5 B&W 602's!

3. Jamey F

Jamey F Stunt Coordinator

My choice would be the Studio 60's, and I would/did choose Paradigm Studio over B&W 600 series. I would wait to check out the new version of the Studio's before you make your final decision and purchase.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I second Jamey, and heck, I chose the Paradigm monitor series over the B&Ws. I like B&Ws, just not that series so much.

5. GarySI

GarySI Stunt Coordinator

Go with your ears and not opinions. FWIW I listen to music 80/20, I auditioned both brands and it was no contest, the B&W's won hands down. I didn't even try to cut a deal on the price. Next step is an upgrade to the Nautilus series(805's) later this year.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I wasn't entirely taken with the sound of the 602 S3s. Nice, but I preferred the CDM 1NT considerably (also considerably more expensive). I too chose Paradigm's Monitor line over the 600 series for my HT. I am waiting to audition the V3 Stuido line as well. I listen to more music than movies, and I actually like more midrange detail than the Paradigms provide, so I ended up building a second 2ch system: Mordaunt Short+Marantz. If you like the sound of B&W, you might want to give MS a listen, as they have a similar (British) character to B&W 600 series at a slightly lower cost.

7. Lam Nguyen

Lam Nguyen Stunt Coordinator

I agree with GarySI, go with your ears. If you can't decide then think about the cosmetics, 80% of the time you'll be looking at it as a piece of furniture so liking the way it look helps.
    Personnally, I would go with the Paradigm Studio 60 because you're getting one of their higher serie speaker. I thought the Studio 60 sounded great when I auditioned it over a year ago. I'm a B&W (CDM 7NT) owner be the way.