What's new

Paradigm vs B&W / Bookshelf vs Floorstanding (1 Viewer)

RyanCR

Auditioning
I have been looking around for a new pair of front speakers in the range of $1,000 USD. So far I have listened to Paradigm, B&W, Klipsch, and a few others. The following are my favorites as of today:

Paradigm Studio 40: 450$ each, bookshelf
Paradgim Studio 60: 600$ each, floorstanding

B&W 602 S3: 300$ each, bookshelf
B&W 603 S3: 500$ each, floorstanding

From what I have read you can't go wrong with either company. However I am a bit undecided what one to go with. If I go with bookshelf speakers I would need speaker stands which will most likely make up the price difference between the bookshelf and floorstanding.

I am tending to lean towards the 603's being 200$ cheaper than the Studio 60's but I am interested in other opinions.

I will be using these speakers in an existing setup. I listen to 60% music, 40% movies. I plan on upgrading my system as money permits starting with the speakers. I do have a subwoofer currently so I am not too worried about the difference in bass between the floor standing and bookshelf.

What are your thoughts? Thanks.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Although I didn't even consider the floor standers, I had this same decision to make 1 year ago, paradigm studio 40's or B&W 602 S3's. Well I got a better deal on the paradigms so I went that route.

I liked the sound of both and couldn't make a decision. The decision was actually based on "looks" and the "deal" I got, I received the 4 40's and a CC for less than 5 B&W 602's!

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
My choice would be the Studio 60's, and I would/did choose Paradigm Studio over B&W 600 series. I would wait to check out the new version of the Studio's before you make your final decision and purchase.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I second Jamey, and heck, I chose the Paradigm monitor series over the B&Ws. I like B&Ws, just not that series so much.

GarySI

Stunt Coordinator
Go with your ears and not opinions. FWIW I listen to music 80/20, I auditioned both brands and it was no contest, the B&W's won hands down. I didn't even try to cut a deal on the price. Next step is an upgrade to the Nautilus series(805's) later this year.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I wasn't entirely taken with the sound of the 602 S3s. Nice, but I preferred the CDM 1NT considerably (also considerably more expensive). I too chose Paradigm's Monitor line over the 600 series for my HT. I am waiting to audition the V3 Stuido line as well. I listen to more music than movies, and I actually like more midrange detail than the Paradigms provide, so I ended up building a second 2ch system: Mordaunt Short+Marantz. If you like the sound of B&W, you might want to give MS a listen, as they have a similar (British) character to B&W 600 series at a slightly lower cost.

Lam Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with GarySI, go with your ears. If you can't decide then think about the cosmetics, 80% of the time you'll be looking at it as a piece of furniture so liking the way it look helps.
Personnally, I would go with the Paradigm Studio 60 because you're getting one of their higher serie speaker. I thought the Studio 60 sounded great when I auditioned it over a year ago. I'm a B&W (CDM 7NT) owner be the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks