Paradigm vs Atlantic Technology Please Give Me Your Options

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gregg Loewen, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Hi, Ive owned Paradigms for over 2 years now and have been quite happy with them. However, I had the opportunity to purchase a 450 package from Atlantic Technology so I said what the heck. I have been wanting to become a dealer with one of the product lines and I really liked the sound of the AT speakers, and it turns out that the AT guys are quite cool.

Have any of you compared AT vs Paradigm? Your thoughts? Am I crazy? I really liked the sound of the AT, however I have not had the chance to A B them (yet) against the Paradigms.

Gregg

2. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    I assume you're comparing them with the Studio series? Although I didn't get to A/B them in the same room, I felt they are competitive with each other (I preferred the Studio 40 + servo-15 over the AT package). Let us know the results of your comparison!

3. Andrew CM

Andrew CM Extra

I have owned the AT 450 system (single SW) the last 4 years. Absolutely fantastic for HT - no need for EQ for bright soundtracks which makes them less than ideal for music only but my system is used 99% for HT so not a caveat for me. The only upgrade pending is waiting for my dual SVS Ultras to arrive as in my 3000 cu foot room, the single AT sub is found wanting in both lower freq extn & high SPLs though I occasionally only turn it up to reference levels.
    I have not heard the Paradigms but for my money, the AT sounds way smoother, less fatiguing and more enveloping than other systems I have heard - incl NHT, Klipsch, Polk, Energy at comparable prices and even more.
    BTW, I am contemplating adding center rear channel in the future. Are u heading in the same direction? I emailed AT and they have said it depends on the processor whether it is THX Ultra 2 or not as it determines whether they would be dipoles or direct radiators(THX Ulta 2).
    Also what electronics r u running?

Andrew

4. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    I currently have Studio 100s for my main, ADPs for sides, and 40s for rears. Plus 2 15 and 2 12 " sonotube subs.

I am using the Outlaw 950 pre with QSC Audio DCA amps (about 4400 watts).

I went with the 450 package and added 2 mains for rears to get 7.1. I also got an extra sub. They arrived today, all 480 pounds worth. Doing ISFs tomorrow, will hopefully have them hooked up by Saturday, and then broken in by Monday - Tuesday.

5. Dennis Oblow

Dennis Oblow Stunt Coordinator

Dennis
    I am interested in how your rears sound. I'm assuming your using an ultra 2 processor. I have a 450 system, and after the impending upgrade to my Anthem AVM 20 to ultra 2 I was going to add two 450 LR for the rear surrounds. I've had these speakers for over three years and they are the only peices I have had no wish to upgrade.

6. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

Almost 3 months later... how are they Gregg?
    [​IMG]