What's new

Paradigm v.s. Boston Acoustics... (1 Viewer)

MWestyn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Newbie here...

I'm looking at a set up of Boston Acoustics VR-M50 mains, VR-MC center, and VR-MX surrounds. Sub is yet to be determined but I've heard good things about the HSU and SVS models.

I've auditioned Monitor, Polk, Klipsch, Definitive Technology, and Boston Acoustics.

Thus far the BA's have been my favorite. I see alot about Paradigm on the forum and wonder how their systems would compare...I haven't found a local retailer to listen to them for myself.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Hi Sean:
Just thought I'd offer my $.02 on Paradigm. The reason why a lot of people choose this brand of speakers is due to the 'lots of bang for the buck' phenomenon. Paradigm offers three main categories of speakers: The Performance, Monitor, and Reference lines. Depending on your budget, room size, and preferences, I'm sure that you'll find a match somewhere among these three lines. For overall value, here are my suggestions for each line: In the performance series, I feel the Atoms are the most impressive (taking into consideration the list price, of course). In the monitor line you really can't go wrong. The monitor 3's are less impressive than the rest of the line, but this series is really strong. My personal recommendations are the 5's and the mini-monitors. As for the reference line, the studio 60's are a really nice speaker.
Anyway, I don't know if that helps.....I just couldn't resist the opportunity to talk about one of my favorite companies. There are thousands of very satisfied and loyal Paradigm consumers, and they have good reason for being that way :) Good luck!

Iver

Second Unit
FWIW, Boston Acoustics has been in business for at least the past 20 years and they have done very well. Then again, Bose (possibly the least popular speaker company at HTF) has also been doing well.

I purchased a pair of Boston Acoustics A60's in the late 1980's and am still using them and quite happy with their performance.

When I look around at what's available now and what it would cost to replace the A60's with something of equal performance, it's pretty amazing that the pair sold for only $150.

That being said, I do not know much about the company's current reputation or if it's even under the same management/ownership as when I bought my A60's.

The BA Web site has quite a bit of useful information, both on their own products and on speakers in general.

If you get a chance, try to compare BA to Paradigm in your price range. You may be pleasantly surprised.

MWestyn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
I appreciate the replies...seeing as I have nowhere to audition any Paradigms, I think I'm going to go with the BA's.

They're the best I've heard so far.

Lou Loomis

Stunt Coordinator
Sean,

Where are you located? Did you try the dealer locater on Paradigm's website? It would tell you if there was a place nearby to demo them. I can say I would Never have found three of the places I've listened to them at were it not for the dealer locator - no big Super Stores in the bunch).

MWestyn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Went and checked...I'm in Raleigh, NC.

Closest one is about a 30-45 min drive away.

I may have to check that one out.

Any other thoughts, opinions, reviews, etc.???

Richard Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
I just went with a friend of mine today, and we auditioned the Monitor 3 and 5 (we had already auditioned Infinity, Klipsch, Def Tech, Mirage, Polk, and JBL). We were very impressed with the Monitor 5, and especially the 370 Center Channel. He picked up a pair of Monitor 5's for $549, which I thought was very reasonable considering the other prices we had seen. We then found some extremely rock solid stands for $99. I think he'll be very pleased with his purchase.

I personally own a BA center channel, and have been very pleased with it.

Rich

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
go with boston! hehehe

i have been a boston fans since many many years. and i have the vr-m50, with vr-mc. i love em to death!

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I auditioned both the VRM series Bostons and the Paradigm Reference lines side by side before purchasing.

I thought the VRM series was outstanding...very good midrange, liquid highs...awesome speakers. But the only place I saw them retailed was at Tweeters and they were going for about $1100 a pair for the VRM-60s. Then I demoed the Paradigms. I felt the Paradigms were a little more forward than the Bostons. I think the Bostons are a slightly warmer type of speaker and better suited for music reproduction but felt the Paradigm's were better for movies because they provided more detail.

It was really a 6 of one, half dozen of the other type situation. I really, really liked the Bostons and because my tendencies lie in music first, movies second, I would have gotten the Boston's had the price been equal. I got the Paradigm Ref 40's for around $700 a pair in Lt. Cherry veneer, and with the 35% savings over the Bostons, I went in that direction. However, were the price to be equal, I would have gone with the Bostons.

If you can get your retailer to negotiate on the Bostons, they are a fine speaker, but I agree with others here on the board that the Paradigm's are a better value performer. They give almost 100% of the performance of the VRM series at 80% of the price.

MWestyn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
I appreciate all the input from you guys. I still feel that the BA's are a great speaker...
However, I went to the store yesterday and was introduced to B&W. All I could do was sit there with a stupid grin on my face.:) WOW! That's my new favorite and I'll be making a purchase soon.
Again thanks for all the help. It is greatly appreciated.
-Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks