Paradigm uses reviews on thier older studios 100 version, Why?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Luis M, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Luis M

Luis M Second Unit

I bought the paradigm 100's V3 some months ago and they sound great, I am really happy with them but I don't understand why paradigm is using possitive reviews of the older models to promote the new studio 100 v3 when the new spekers use different drivers, materials,crossovers and they went from a 4 to a 5 driver configuration and a taller and slimmer housing. By reading the reviews of the older models you come out with a pretty possitive feeling about these speakers but They don't look like the same speakers to me, they look more like a complete different design. How would these reviews offer anybody confort as to what they sound like compared to the old ones?

By the way I bought them based on actual listening at my local dealer.

2. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Luis, I think they have been slow getting the new units out to the people who do the reviews. Sound & Vision just did the 40v3, 570, ADP, Seismic 12 which is listed on the Paradigm site, and I know that Secrets is waiting for a set of v3's to review (not sure what models).

I also recently purchased 40v3, 570,ADP's based on hearing them, however, with the reviews of the v2's it wasn't a difficult decision knowing that the drivers had been upgraded (I originally was going to get the v2's but my delay was to my benefit).

3. Bill Blank

Bill Blank Stunt Coordinator

It's probably because there aren't many reviews of the new version out there yet. While it's true that just about everything has changed from the previous series, I think most would agree that things have changed for the better and trust Paradigm that that is the case.

By reading a review of the previous version you can still gain some insight into what that model yields in terms of performance. As the new versions get reviewed, you'll even some comparison's to those old versions and perhaps that will help you appreciate the improvements Paradigm has made.

BTW, I agree that auditioning a product at a store is a good idea...in theory...but it's practically useless as the associated equipment is usually not the same and the room is almost always different, leaving the buyer without a very accurate idea of what they will sound like once they get them home.

Bill

4. David Barteaux

David Barteaux Stunt Coordinator

PaulT,

Did you compare the Studio CC-470 and the CC-570 before you purchaced your 570? I can't find a dealer in my area that carries the 570 to listen to..which I is kind of strange.

I think I read on Soundstage site that they are waiting for some Signatures to test. But I agree Paradigm is doing a little false advertising for the new V3 Studios which may or may not be better than the V2.

5. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

I think it's a bad idea to assume that the next model is better in any electronics purchase. Look at the Panasonic DVD players, for example. The newest models dropped the Faroudja chip and are generally of lesser quality. Another example is the Marantz 8400 receiver, which is really a replacement for the 7300OSE, and is considered by many to be a step down from the 8300. Speakers are an even trickier game because they don't usually have new features and formats to support. If a speaker is changed, it will be better to some, worse to others, depending on your taste. Some have reported that the v3s have a more detailed soundstage and are better, some say they are so close you can't tell the difference, and still others say that the v3s are harsher and more fatiguing. The only thing that is not completely subjective is build quality and wood finish, and many have reported that the v3s are a step down in build quality and do not have a wood veneer option.

When all is said and done, both are excellent speakers, and I'm QUITE sure that the reviews for the v3s will be just as positive. The point is don't assume that all updated models are better. Do your homework and listen and compare.

My take (for what it's worth having auditioned both and from my reading): v3 pros: a bit more detailed, especially in the highs; better center speaker options; the Studio 60 v3 is a little bit taller for better on-axis listening. v3 cons: slight dip in build quality, no veneer option, higher price, slightly brighter/more fatiguing, epseically with brass instruments.

Chris

6. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Dave, where are you located?

Kevin

7. David Barteaux

David Barteaux Stunt Coordinator

Kevin, I'm in Halifax. Have you compared both center's?