Paradigm upgrade question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick V, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

I currently have Monitor 11's and a CC-370 up front and small polk satellites in the back. My sub is a Mirage BPS-400. All speakers are set to small with a Yamaha RXV-1200 receiver.

My question is, would going from 11's and a CC-370 to Studio 20's or 40's and a Studio CC be a significant upgrade?? How would the Studio 40's do running full range for DVD-A as I have yet to purchase an ICBM??

Also, do you think I could do a straight trade with CC-370 and 11's to Studio 20's or 40's (I'm assuming that'll cost a bit) and a Studio CC?

2. Christopher Lyn

Christopher Lyn Stunt Coordinator

Nick,

Yes, you will hear a significant upgrade by listening to the Reference Studio line of speakers. To my ears, I thought the Reference line sounded much more spectacular than the Monitor series. I currently have the Studio 80s and Paradigm says that you can technically run it full range. However, I find a more pleasant sound running them small and letting my Servo-15 do all the base below 80 Hz.

You can usually do a trade in at authorized Paradigm dealers. However, you may not always get the best price. If you are looking to get the best price for your speakers, I would suggest private sale.

I traded my CC-300 in for the Studio CC, but only got $100.00 off of the Studio CC price for the trade in.

Take a listen to the Studio line and see if you like them.

3. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

Christopher,

I'm in an interesting position, because I like my Paradigm Monitor speakers, and have yet to hear the Studio series. But recently I have found a lack of something when listening to 2ch. DVD-A's and redbook CD's.

The dealer where I bought my Paradigm Monitor speakers has a one year trade-up policy, but the only problem is that they don't carry the Studo Line. So, if I trade up there, I could go with Monitor Audio, KEF, Monsoon (those are all that I might be able to afford).

Or, I could go with the Paradigm Studio's and probably give up some money with a trade in, depending on how much I like them.

I guess what I really have to do, is go out and demo some speakers!!

4. ErichH

ErichH Screenwriter

Nick,
    I have 4 Studio 40s and a Studio CC & listen to DVDA from a Panasonic RP91 - Sounds Great. They perform very well with my HK520 reciever. I've heard them with a B&K AVR307 and they sound even better. I'd say the quality of the amp and the imput device make all the difference.
    With some recievers, DVDA gets a little hot on the sub channel, but thats just a matter of tweaking it down a bit.

I recently lowered the rears to the same height as the fronts and put my CC below the screen(Pioneer 533) and for me it's much better. I have no problem with the center info sounding like it comes off the screen.

used to own a Monitor Series Center, and the Studio was a BIG improvement,

Good Luck
    Eric

5. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

Well, I've narrowed it down to Paradigm Studio 20's, Monitor Audio Silver S2's and Energy Veritas 2.1's.

Has anyone directly (or inderectly) compared these speakers??

Any input would be appreciated.

6. JohnVB

JohnVB Stunt Coordinator

Hi Nick,

I'm curious, have you compared the Monitor Audio's to the Paradigm Monitor's at that dealer?

I've just purchased the Monitor Audio Silver 9's (very similar to Silver S6's), but I was considering Paradigm speakers. I chose the MA's partly because they are mass loadable, so we can stabilize them from tipping over onto small kids, and partly because we got a great deal on them - they were used, as demos in a showroom.

The biggest selling point for us was that the guy let us listen to them in our home for a couple days. I thought my previous speakers (EPI - Epicure 5's) sounded pretty good (they certainly aren't low end), but these were simply awesome at the very first listen. The Highs and mids are crisp and clear. The base seems natural. In movies, the vocals seem a lot clearer easier to understand.

Oh, and did I mention, that even my wife thinks they look nice? :)

I haven't had the chance to audition Paradigm Monitor's along with the Monitor Audio Silver's to compare, and I'm curious how you thought these compared.

- bones

7. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

I know what I'm talking about. Started with 4 Atoms, then 4 Mini-Mon + CC-370, now with 4 Studio-40+ 2 Studio-CC+ Servo-15. Was using them first with a Yammie RX-V3200, and now with a Rotel RMB-1095. The Studio line, for MY ears, are a definite step up. I think the Studio line needs good amplification to shine. You need a "laid-back" amp tough, IMOH, because the Yammie was a little bit bright in MY room, and the Rotel seems to tame them.

For DVD-Audio I use an ICBM and the bass is redirect to the sub, so the Studio-40s are doing their job with the mids and highs.

Going from the Monitor line to the Studio line was a big improvement in sound for me.

8. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

JohnVB,

I did do a comparison between my current speakers (Paradigm Monitor 11's) and the Monitor Audio S6's and the Monitor Audio's to my ears, were MUCH better. The tweeter sounded more natural (less bright) the bass was punchier, and they seemed to go almost as low as the Monitor 11's. The 11's are HUGE compared to the MA's so I was impressed by that.

I listened to the Metallica, The Doors, and Deep Purple DVD-A's as well as some of my Redbook CD's. Both pairs of speakers were set up side-by side in a dedicated listening room with a McIntosh tube pre-amp and SS 2 channel amp.

The sound of the MA's to my ears was superior in EVERY way to the Paradigm's, and I can't wait to upgrade. I think I'm gonna go with the S2's all around, and the LCR for the centre.

9. Christopher Lyn

Christopher Lyn Stunt Coordinator

Nick,

I think if you do the same comparison test with your current speakers and the Paradigm Studio Line, you would find the same result as you found while listening to the Monitor Audios.

I have not listened to the Monitor Audios and the Paradigm Studio series in a comparison, so I don't know if they sound comparable. You might want to compare the Monitor Audio to the Paradigm Studio line to see if you find one better to your liking. The Energy Veritas system is also nice.

The most important thing is that you find speakers that are pleasing for your listening requirements.

What really sold me on my Studio 80s was when I put in "2112" from Rush, the Paradigm did great with that CD.