Paradigm up grade> Titian to Monitor 3 is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Steve_Wingman, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Steve_Wingman

I have Titans for rear surounds now and Mon 9's as mains. Is it worth the upgrade to the Monitor 3's (same 8" driver)for the rears? I use the system for 50/50 music & theater. Or should I hold out and save for a future SVS 16-46 PCi?
    Thanks much,
    Steve

2. Rick Lyon

Rick Lyon Stunt Coordinator

You rarely actually hear the surrounds. I have the titans for mains and will upgrade to monitor 7s soon. I'm using the ADP -170s for surrounds and they are on what, maybe 10% of a typical movie? You'd really only get good use from them with DVD-A or multichannel SACD. Even then, it's mostly background type instruments. I think your Titans are more then adequate.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I've been using Titans as surrounds for years, though I am about to sell them soon to replace them with surrounds that match my mains (GR Research). IMO, there is no real benefit to having Minis or M3s as surrounds.

4. Merimac Hamwich

Merimac Hamwich Stunt Coordinator

I highly disagree with your 10% estimate Rick. I have mini monitors for surrounds, and in movies I hear movie audio coming through them more like 80-90% of the time. Background music especially.

5. Rick Lyon

Rick Lyon Stunt Coordinator

Well, that background music isn't much more then 10% of the total soundtrack being delivered. I don't mean they come on 10%, I meant what comes out is very minimal to the center and fronts.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I agree with Rick that the surrounds are not very significant, though it varies from disc to disc. I would say surrounds get more information than ~10%, but the point being that this upgrade would not be entirely worth it. If it were for critical multichannel SACD/DVD-A, then I might say there's a better application, but for movies, that $$ will be better spent on an SVS [​IMG]

7. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

I use monitor3s for surrounds and I think they work well. When set to large they provide lots of bass for the surround effects.

8. Steve_Wingman

Thanks for the replies! I only notice the change in tweeters while listening to DVDA or CD in Prologic-which is slight (the Titan is not as crisp as the Monitors). In movies it's not critical at all. I think the SVS upgrade is in the near future. I'm leaning to the 16-46PCi, is this overkill for my HT that I'll build this fall which will be 11.5'W X 21'L X 7.5'H closed room? Oh yeah, did I mention I'm in Canada and going to get killed on shipping and exchange and duty and have to register it as an dangerous weapon and ......

cheers!
    Steve

9. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

An cheaper alternative to SVS in Canada are the offerings from www.creativesound.ca . I was also considering SVS or Paradigm subs but you can get more value building your own. The SHiva kit is about $600-700 with and amp and it probably pretty even with the 20-39pci.

10. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

I had Minis up front and Titans in the rear. I then moved the Minis to the rear when I got 20s for the front. I must say that the Minis do sound better. The rear is fuller and richer. Part of that may be because I went to a 60hz crossover. Which may be another thought for you. The 9's would definatly handle a lower crossover. Even though I know I have a small hole because of the roll-off, it is worth (I can't really even tell, especially with the surrounds) it to get the lower crossover for the fronts