Paradigm Trip to Canada

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Beierlein, Sep 10, 2001.

1. Craig Beierlein

I think I finally decided that I'm going to make the voyage to Canada for some sweet pricing and take advantage of the exchange rate in Canada for some Paradigm speakers, and a Bryston amp (also Canadian made). I know that there has been some talk in the past about this on this forum, but I'm not sure how current the info ay be now.
    Can anyone direct me to the stores in Canada that are hip to the "go to Canada to get a deal" routine and offer the best discounts. I would assume stores in Ontario would be the closest for me from Pennsylvania.
    Items I am interested in, does anyone know the list prices for these ?
    Paradigm Reference 100 V.2
    Paradigm Reference Active CC
    Paradigm Reference Active ADP
    Bryston Power Amp 4B

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

These are full Canadian MSRP. You should be able to get around 25% off of these prices that are in CDN funds plus the savings you'll get from the exchange rate. Just remember not to tell them you are an American until after you've settled on a price.
    Studio 100 = 2399
    Active CC = 1050
    Active ADP = 2050 (I'm guessing little here, never actually got a price on this one the last time I asked but it should be within $50 CDN or so)
    No idea on the Bryston

3. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

When I was thinking of making a Canada run I talked to these guys on the phone. They are in Montreal I believe.
    http://www.filtronique.com/en/default.asp
    They were very helpful and quoted me a price that converted to US funds worked out to about 35% off of US list price. Good luck.
    Regards, Nick

4. Graeme Shiomi

Graeme Shiomi Stunt Coordinator

Craig,
    An 'over the phone' quote I received for Bryston gear (i.e. probably a little higher than what you'd get when you're actually in the store) was $2699 Canadian for the 4B-ST and $2299 Canadian for the 3B-ST. So that's around $1800 US for the 4B-ST and $1500 US for the 3B-ST.
    FYI the list prices of Bryston in Canadian dollars is something ridiculous like 10% above the list price in US dollars. In other words, for Americans close to the border, it's a no-brainer.
    Graeme

5. james e m

james e m Second Unit

http://livewireaudio.com/
    Check out these guys, I just went last week. They are about 20 minutes from Detroit, if that helps. They are very nice and they give you a 10% discount for coming over from the States. Just make sure to contact them before you go to make sure they have what you want in stock.
    james

6. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Craig,
    Goto Paradigm's website and do a search with 905, 519 and 416 area codes. This should you places from Windsor to Toronto to Niagara Falls. From Pennsylvania your about equal distance to the border(Detroit/Windsor, Buffalo/Niagara Falls).
    Kevin

7. Mark Jany

Mark Jany Auditioning

Gibby's in St Catharines is a reasonable Paradigm and Bryston dealer. St. Kitt's is 15 min from Niagara Falls, about 45 from Buffalo. Good luck.
    Mark

8. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Nick G,
    Are you saying that it's possible to get Paradigm speakers for 35% off MSRP here in the states? Will that company ship? Or do you still need to go pick them up?
    Aaron

9. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Of course you have your heart set on Paradigms, but I can't help suggesting you take trip to Canada for PSB speakers. They are unbelievable value for your dollar.

10. NormanS

NormanS Auditioning

Don't forget to claim back the Canadian taxes when you cross the border!

11. Curtis_Edwards

Curtis_Edwards Stunt Coordinator

I too need some more ACTIVE speakers so when you go and get the good prices, please let us know the US equiv for what you got. I am interested in a set of Active ADP and Active 20 (all in rosenut finish). I will appreciate any info you find.
    Thanks.

12. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

I've only been to Canada once and didn't buy anything, so I have to ask, how does buying stuff in Canada and bringing it back to the States "work"? Do you pay in American Dollars or Canadian Dollars? What happens if your car is checked at the border on your way back into the States? Do certain dealers not participate in this? Is it as easy as walking into the store, saying "I'm American and want to buy these speakers/amp, etc., and driving back home?
    I'm just looking for a "feel" for how this process actually happens. Heck, Baltimore is not THAT far from Canada given those percentage discounts...
    Thanks!
    ------------------
    Scott

13. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

Aaron:
    You have to drive up to Canada to get those prices I mentioned. They told me that they can not ship to the US per their agreement with Paradigm.
    Regards, Nick

14. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Hey great thread as I am planning to do the same thing except into Vancouver [​IMG]
    The prices I have received are from dealers in Canada and end up being CONSIDERABLY less then the American prices I was able to get. The deal is you HAVE to go to Canada to get these prices no shipping to you (Sorry). Other notes tell them you are helping a friend move down to the states if they ask and definetely unpack the speakers before driving across the border or you could get charged tax. (Someone correct me if I am wrong but that is what I was told).
    What pricing are you guys getting in Canadian dollars for this gear? I am interested to make sure I am getting the best deal possible for my drive.
    KyleS
    Heck I am looking at that same system without the amp.
    100's v2 Fronts
    Studio CC
    Studio ADP surrounds
    KyleS

15. Rick P.

Rick P. Stunt Coordinator

I've only been to Canada once and didn't buy anything, so I have to ask, how does buying stuff in Canada and bringing it back to the States "work"? Do you pay in American Dollars or Canadian Dollars? What happens if your car is checked at the border on your way back into the States? Do certain dealers not participate in this? Is it as easy as walking into the store, saying "I'm American and want to buy these speakers/amp, etc., and driving back home?
    I'm just looking for a "feel" for how this process actually happens.

Shopping for stuff here is no different than shopping anywhere else. Check out various stores, haggle with the dealer a bit to see if you can do better, pay your money and leave. You'll pay in Canadian dollars of course, this being Canada. Many stores near the border will accept U.S. funds, but the exchange rate they'll give you is a lot less than what you'd get from a bank. VISA and Mastercard are fine too but leave your AMEX or Diners Club at home since few places other than major hotel chains take either. You will have to pay taxes at the store (no way around it). This also means that the only thing you'll save by ditching the boxes before you cross the border is a bit of space in your back seat.
    If you buy in Ontario the tax is 15% (8% provincial + 7% federal). I believe that one of these will be refunded at the border if you fill out a form (probably federal GST). To get the other back you have to mail in a form and wait a few weeks for a check to arrive in the mail. The folks at Canada Customs will have the forms you need to fill out - pick them up at the border.
    I wouldn't tell anyone where you're from. Assuming that the salesman doesn't pick up on an accent he's more likely to give you a better deal if he thinks you might be back some day.
    Hope this helps,
    Rick
    ps. Speaker boxes are usually huge. Check the manufacturer's website for shipping carton dimensions before you make the trip. It'd suck to drive a few hours and drop $$$ just to find that your new Studio 100's won't fit into your Jetta.
    [Edited last by Rick P. on September 12, 2001 at 09:10 PM]

16. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

Guys,
    FWIW, be prepared for a very long wait at the US-Canada border. I have heard that border security is very high right now and will probably be so for awhile yet....checking everything in/out of sight....especially those large speaker boxes.
    Dave

17. Graeme Shiomi

Graeme Shiomi Stunt Coordinator

In Niagara Falls the wait yesterday afternoon to get back into the US was 8 hours (21 kilometer long line-up) for non-commercial vehicles.
    Might be good to wait a week or more.
    Graeme

18. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Rick,
    Thanks, that helps a lot! I was concerned that this was in some way illegal but obviously that's not the case (didn't want to get to the border, have the border guards discover this stuff, and come to find I've done something I shouldn't have). Now I have a better understanding of the process.
    I wouldn't be doing this any time soon given what's going on right now - not worth the trouble. But I may consider it in the near future.
    Thanks!
    ------------------
    Scott

19. Bob D

Bob D Extra

Craig,
    Where is Jamison? I got my Paradigm's at an excellent price at a place in Morgantown, WV. It's about 75 minutes from PGH. If that is closer for you, drop me an email and I'll give you the name of the store and owner and you can check his prices. May save you a trip to Canada.

20. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

There's 1 Province that doesn't charge the Provincial tax - all you pay is the federal tax, which is refunded at the border, so in essence, you pay no tax at all!
    Aaron