Paradigm Titans

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JorelB, Dec 9, 2002.

1. JorelB

JorelB Extra

I just bought some Paradigm Titans for rears and am real happy with them! [​IMG] Right now I got them on identical metal bookshelfs placed about 6 inches behind the listening position but only 1 foot high. While reading about proper speaker placement it says it should be around 2-3 feet above listening position, will I hear a big difference if i make it 2 and a half feet above? Second, I worry about the bookshelf being metal I'm no sound expert (pretty much the opposite) but will metal reflect sound more or make it worst? It's sitting on top so theres nothing around it except the wall which is about an inch away.
    Bye!

2. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

SUPERB choice in equiment. Paradigm rules. Good luck with the questions.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    As long as the stands are sturdy, they should be just fine. If they are not in front of or right along side the front bezel of the speaker, reflections should not be an issue. I would recommend pulling them away from the walls, both sides and rear. I would recommend at least 8" behind the Titans for the rear ports.

Regarding placement - it is not necessary to have the speakers placed 2-3' above the listener, that is a recommendation. I have Titans as surrounds, about 4' behind me, on 30" stands, to either side, pointed towards eachother and it sounds great. I had to play with positioning a LOT before settling on this arrangement (I also have the advantage of having a rather deep room).

4. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

The 2 - 3 feet applies mostly to the tweeter, which is at the top of the speaker, so you should be fine.

I agree that the speaker need to be pulled away from the wall a bit. The rear port will give the speaker a boomy sound if it is too close to the wall.

5. JorelB

JorelB Extra

Thanks for the replies, very informative stuff! [​IMG] My room is pretty small its around 13.5x14.5 feet, so I really don't think I can pull in the speakers since I got a pretty big sofa in there. In fact, I was planning on buying wall mounts so they would take up less space and be at the reccomended height. But if a speaker needs at least 8 inches would wall mounting it wreck the sound? Also, can I set these speakers to large on my receiver? I don't have a sub yet [​IMG]

6. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Speaker mounts are probably better. Get ones that can tilt down a little bit. By the time you add the bracketry and tilt, the port should be far enough away from the wall.

What do you have for fronts? The Titans have usable response down to 60hz, so they can be set to large and be just fine. But if you have nice towers for the fronts that can go lower, then set the Titans to small and the fronts to large. All the bass will go to the fronts.

7. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

I also have Titans as my rears, and they are mounted on the wall with Paradigm's mounts for the speaker. I was also concerned about the rear ports, but the dealer assured me that the mount would give enough clearance in the back. So far, I have no complaints about the sound.

Jason

8. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

I have used Titans on all 5 corners including center, makes a great HT setup in a small room.At their pricepoint I do not think you can buy a finer speaker period.