Paradigm Titans for rear surrounds. What is your configuration??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Serge Breton, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Serge Breton

Serge Breton Supporting Actor

Finally received my 2 pairs of Paradigm Titans and will be using these as the rear/center surrounds in a 7.1 surround system. To avoid some trial and error i would like to hear how you guys have your set-up to sound their best. I will be employing the MB60 wall bracket and am thinking of hanging the rear surrounds a foot or foot and a half from the rear walls and a couple of feet over my head in my 12x18 home theater. The center surrounds will be placed equidistant along the rear wall obviously. Any suggestions appreciated.

2. GregoriusM

GregoriusM Second Unit

Don't go any higher than 2 feet over your head. I would suggest 1.5 ft.

3. Serge Breton

wow, really?

Dolby Labs suggests about 3 feet over your head, the rear of my room has a drop ceiling resulting in a 7 ft ceiling heigh that's why i was thinking 2 feet. Looks like i do have some experimenting to do to acheive the best sound. Any other comments?

4. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Do experiment as each room will respond differently but I'm with Gregorius, don't go over two feet.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Did you get port plugs? Titans will sound muddy and actually lose some bass when placed with the port right near a wall.

I think 2ft above would be fine or maybe higher, and angle them slightly down to minimize ceiling reflections.

6. Serge Breton

i was not aware of the port plug, this is why initially i wanted a better speaker bracket that would in turn allow the speakers to be moved out from the wall even further. I'll ask the dealer regarding this. The nice thing though with the MB60 bracket is that the speaker can be pointed upward/downward as well as left/right to allow the sound to come into focus. Thanks

7. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Where would you get port plugs? I just got a pair of Titans used with what the seller calls "premium brackets" but I haven't received them yet. I am concerned about the ports though. Can I pick up plugs at a hi-fi store?

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The "right" plugs are made by Paradigm, and should be available (might have to order) at a Paradigm dealer. You can use other things to stuff the ports though, just pick something that fits well and will not be blown out when things get loud [​IMG]
    Paradigm also sells brackets made specifically for the Atom and Titan.