What's new

Paradigm Titans A Good Choice? (1 Viewer)

Jay_R

Auditioning
I have been searching for a system that will...

Work well with music and movies

Fill up a 12' x 24' room

Is under $800

I am planning on going with..

4 Paradigm Titans

1 Paradigm cc170

Sony SaWM-40

I go for a listen tomorrow. Are there any other suggestions for a good surround under $800? I am a newbie trying to get the most bang for my buck.

Thanks for the input

Jay

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Hi,I listened to the Titans alot,I almost got a pair of those to use as rears with Mini Monitors but I eneded up going with Klipsch instead.

At the time I had a room close to the same size as you and at the A/V shop the Klipsch seemed to fill the room better.I think it is the horn tweeter,regardless they do the job I needed them to do.

As far as what to get,you can get 2 pairs of Sb-1 and the matching center SC-.05 for that price.And you should still have enough for the sub.

If you are set on Paradigm though,I would say just get the Atoms and put the rest of the $ toward a better sub.

Chris Demaree

Stunt Coordinator
I have 2 Titans and a cc-170 (energy take2's for the rear). I am very happy with the sound, it will reach SPL's that are much too loud for me to listen to (Outlaw 1050) and my room is 12x13x8 ..open to the kitchen and a hallway to the rest of the house. I am using a svs 20-39pc for a sub, x-over at 80hz. Atoms for the rears are my next purchase.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
This will go over your budget a little bit, but I think you should also audition the Paradigm Mini-Monitors with a cc-370 center channel. The Mini's use a little better tweeter than the Titans and some believe the bass is tighter.

I have Mini's for my surrounds and the CC-350, the predesesser to the 370. I really like their sound. Just my $.02 worth of suggestion.

Nick L

Second Unit
I am going to have to agree with Marty on this one. I went to purchase a pair of titans for fronts and a pair of atoms for the rear. That is until I heard the mini monitors. I decided to wait a little while longer and buy the monitors. I think the highs are much clearer and they have tighter lows.

Nick L.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I will also have to agree here on the Mini Monitor. I have Titans in my bedroom system, and as surrounds in my main system. I used to have Titans as my mains in the living room, but after bringing home a pair of Minis for an in home demo, I decided to trade up for some Minis. The Mini is definitely better for music than the Titan (as mentioned better highs and more accurate bass).

4 Titans still does a very good job for the price, and my room is roughly the same size (~12x24x9) The CC170 set to small does a fine job. I think your setup sounds like a very good budget system.

ScottK

Grip
I'm auditioning some Paradigm Titans/Atoms tommorow, after much research. I've read nothing but GREAT things about these speakers and just have to hear them for myself. If they are as good as everyone says, they will be coming home with me! Atom's seem a little smaller and logical for use as rears, as to allow wall mounting if need be. One of the nice things I've heard, is that most dealers have a great trade-in policy. Upto 1 year you can trade in your speakers for what you paid and add some cash for the next model or so up! My budget doesn't allow me to bump upto the monitor seriers, but i envision it would be easy to save up in a year and atleast for the next model if I'm not completely satisfied. Also I'm planning on getting the CC170 (keeping with Paradigm for tonal balance) and still unsure of the subwoofer I want to use. I've heard the Sony SA-WM40, while a value, can be a bit boomy? Anyone have this combo yet? I might just bit the bullet and stick with a Paradigm sub.. I've done a ton of research, and I even ordered some speakers from Cambridge Soundworks, but since decided to CANCEL my order to audition the Paradigms because of all the praise.

Just my thoughts....

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For Cambridge, only the Newton line is worth it, and they are more expensive than Titans.

You do not want to mount the Atoms on the wall unless you use a port plug, as they are rear ported (Titans also). I don't think you want to mount them on the wall anyway, as they sound better when set away from near-by walls.

I have used the trade in policy a few times, including when I traded my main Titans for Minis.

Though a more accurate speaker, I didn't like the Atom as a surround. I would prefer all Atoms or all Titans.

ScottK

Grip
When I said "wall mounting" I didn't mean I was going to
nail gun them flush with a wall ("Hows it sound here? Kapow, Kapow, Kapow!") :D I assumed everyone understood I meant with appropriate hardware as not to obstruct the port flow, i just see a Titan making that a little more difficult over an Atom. I'll probably experiment first with a few stands, maybe I'll get a few cool looking pedastals?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Even with Paradigm's own brackets (which are quite nice) they (Paradigm) recommend port plugs...which they also supply oddly enough.

A few inches is NOT enough behind these speakers, we are talking about a foot or more required for good results, even the Atoms. (I'm not saying you don't know what you are doing Scott)

ScottK

Grip
No problem, John.. I just didn't want you to think I was thinking of shoving them into a wall or something!
I've never seen or heard them (YET) so they are all new to me. I'm suprised to hear they supply port plugs and recommend using them in a situation like that, I would think plugging the port would change the design parameters to the extent that the fixed parameters (box size, ect) would also need to be altered. Maybe the plugs are for the owners ears :D
Hope to be a proud Paradigm owner by tommorow if i like what i hear!

Jonathan Lofgren

Stunt Coordinator
I don't mean to steal the thread, but I have a related question. If I'm using a sub-woofer anyway, would it be better to go with the Titans or the Atoms as surrounds(with Mini-monitors/CC-370 in front)?

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I used the Atoms for surrounds before I got Mini-Monitors and they worked worked quite nicely. Neither the Titans or Atoms will timbre match with the Mini's but not sure that is important in surrounds as it is in the front 3 speakers.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
It's not as important to match the rears as it is to match the front three. Although 5 identical monitors would be ideal for a seamless system, even for the center. If possible use an idetical speaker for the center as the l+r although this is not always an option if you have large speakers or they are not shielded. Your center must be shielded or you will have trouble with your TV.

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
I am using Titans for mains, a CC-170 center, Atoms for surrounds, and a Velodyne CT-120 sub. I love this set-up... it just sounds great for music and movies in my living room. The Titans are very detailed, and can be used without a sub for music unless you are into some bass-intensive type of music.
I've had this set-up for over a year, and am very pleased with it.
That being said, my next two upgrades in the future include a new receiver, and if I can save some money up...Paradigm Reference...although I haven't researched them very much...yet.;)
Matt

ScottK

Grip
Sounds like the system I'm planning on building, and I'm glad to hear it works great for music as well as movies. What kind of reciever are you driving the Titan/Atom combo with??

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
My receiver is a Sony DB930, but I am interested in upgrading to a Denon. I have heard that Denon and Paradigm go together like peanut butter and jelly!
I am thinking about getting into Denon's entry level 6.1 system, the 2802(?). I've also heard good things about the Outlaw 1050 6.1 system.
So many upgrades, so little money....
;)
Matt

Fred DeGrandis

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with many who stated that the mini monitors are great speakers.
You didnt say where you were located at, but if you are by the Canadian/US border, why not take a trip up there, as I did. For around your budget, you can pick up the CC370( an awesome performer), a pair of monitor 7s for the fronts, and a pair of atoms for the rears. This is the setup I had before upgrading to reference. The deal with this, if your interested, is that the Canadian list is around what the US list price is, but with the exchange rate, the Canadian prices are cheaper. Then you take off around 20% of the msrp, which also saves you a bunch of money. I went in and spent around 960.00 US for this setup, but heres the icing on the cake, They give you 3 forms(recipts), 1 for your records, 1 for the border duty free shop. which refunds you 7% of your purchase instantly in cash, and the last form is for you to send into the Canadian ministry of Finance, which refunds you another 8% of your purchase through the mail. Bringing the total to around 850.00 US
If you need any info(stores name, or directions) I will be happy to help. Just drop me an email for anyone thats interested. I am not selling these, nor do I receive any compensation for this, I am just trying to help, as so many other members in this great forum have helped me.
Another perk about the store I visited, was, if for any reason, you wish to upgrade your speakers within a year, you get 100% store credit( the amount you paid you get back) when making your upgrade.
Thanks, and dont hesitate to drop me an email @ [email protected]
Fred

Matt_Marlow

Stunt Coordinator
I use a Denon/Paradigm setup. While I use mini monitors for surrounds and Monitor sevens for mains, I've hooked the mini monitors up for 2 channel stereo just to test them out and preferred their sound to the monitor sevens for music. Anyway, I think the Paradigm monitor series is perfect for movies, though I'm less impressed with them (the Sevens at least) for music. The monitor sevens are kind of hard to listen to for long periods of time in 2 channel stereo, even though my Denon receiver is supposedly considered "warm" compared to some other models. The mini monitors are less fatiguing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks