Paradigm system - where can I cut $$ a little

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Brian Elwood, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Brian Elwood

Brian Elwood Stunt Coordinator

Here is what I have worked up at the moment and are these prices about inline with what I'll have to play??

All Paradigm

LR - Atoms $200
    C - CC-170 $200
    Sub - PDR-10 $349
    Surround - ADP-70 $400

This is about $1200

I was HOPING for less - are there less expensive pieces that I could use instead?? Such as a PDR-8 instead of a PDR-10? What about the Surrounds - they seem a little pricey ??

Of COURSE the one store I was going to Saturday is closed because of the Iron Man competition which is crippeling Madison this weekend.

Comments?

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

While going with ADP might be better for the surrounds, you could go with atoms instead, and while paradigm does make some excellent subs, I think SVS has a new offering in this range that might be an excellent idea too. Also, I would go with titans for the fronts, instead of atoms. I own a pair of both, I think the extra $20 is worth it for mains use.

3. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

I agree. I think where you could save some, is by going with atoms for the surrounds. And I also agree to step up to the titans for the fronts.

You don't wanna skimp on the sub if you can help it.
    Maybe they'll give you a package deal.

4. Brian Elwood

Chris - So you saying Atoms for the surrounds instead of CC-170s (I didn't Atoms ALSO had surrounds) and Titans (instead of Atoms) for the fronts.

OR - are you saying just use the Atoms AS Surround speakers?? What would be the difference, what makes surround speakers different then normal fronts ????

And chris - I agree - the sub I have now is over 10 years old and while it booms, that's about it.

What I was worried about is getting something NOT Paradigm to go with the other speakers - or does that not matter THAT much with Subs.

5. ernie.bin

ernie.bin Stunt Coordinator

I'll chime in with the same advice.

Titan fronts, atom rears, no adp's. Keep the PDR-10 around. that's at least $150 in savings.

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

No, you don't need to match subs.

7. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

I started off with almost the exact system.....I'll throw the Atoms some love and offer a vote for those over the Titans as mains.....just a personal preference, cause with a sub I noticed no difference between Atoms/Titans. Other people obviously feel differently. Atoms work great as surrounds, as others have said....but just say "no" to the PDR sub, man.....I love paradigm.....still own paradigm.....but when it comes to subs, they just fall a little short in the value category, in my opinion.

Also, make sure your dealer has an upgrade policy where you can return your gear within a certain period of time (usually a year) and receive credit toward an upgrade.....just in case you catch the bug [​IMG]

8. Brian Elwood

So, IF, I wanted to save some buck go with fronts for surround and not dipoles (ADP-70).

hmmmmmm

Here's the latest deal

Titans
    CC-170
    PDR-8
    ADP-170 for $1150

just as what happened when I purchased my Big screen I'm $150 over budget but and happy I did it.

I do like the idea behind dipole surrounds though, I think that is what I'm missing in my current set up, that "out of phase" sound that fills in the blanks.

The PDR-8 should be big enough for my living room< I think the 10s would be overkill - If I get the above package I get $75 off.

I'm still taking suggestions though and learning a TON.

AlanZ - "just say "no" to the PDR sub" I'm all ears - are there better for cheaper?

SVS SUBS I have not explored yet.

as you can see - I want to save money but the budget is not in stone (I might be if I spend to much though).

9. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I like the selections but I'd too say don't buy the sub. If you can't afford to push the budget up $200 for an SVS, I'd just do w/o until you can scrape together another $200.

Well worth it in the long term. The Pb10ISD will run $399

10. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Brian, I'm sure there are better subs for the money than the PDR series, but I'm excidedly loyal to SVS and for damn good reason lol. I can almost guarantee you that even if it meant waiting a little longer to pull the trigger on the sub, you'd be better off saving up a tad more money and getting something better (like an SVS [​IMG] I know you are probably eager to get your system home and start enjoying it....I can totally understand that. But I really think that if something like the SVS can fit w/in your budget (and the new one they have coming out sounds like it will), you'll enjoy your music and movies that much more. When I got my first SVS (25-31pc model), I still had my PDR-10 at home. I'm not kidding when I tell you that the difference was STAGGERING. I put Blade II in and my ex-wife and I just sat there in amazement. Totally different experience, man.

11. Brian Elwood

But I love my wife - I don't want to get rid of her [​IMG]

OK - for shits and giggles - how does the above system compare to a "like-priced" Cambridge Audio System.

????

12. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

She can be assimilated [​IMG]

13. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

I like cambridge, but Paradigm is a step-up from them......I think you'd be happier with the Paradigm. Some people on here will advocate for internet brands like Axiom (there are others, just can't think of them right now).....theoretically you can get more bang for your buck. I'm pretty sold on Paradigm, but I've gone the internet route with electronics - Outlaw Audio - and have been very pleased. But you may want to get some input from those who have internet brand speakers, cause there are many positive opinions.

14. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'll have to agree also on going with Titans over Atoms especially for mains. The Atoms are good, but not good enough for mains, IMO. I've owned more than one set of both.

I don't think the ADPs are going to add anything that isn't there...proper positioning will take care of that.

For about the same price, you could also consider the Rocket ELT system.

15. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Where are you located relative to the Canadian border? It maybe worth the trip. When I first got my Paradigm Setup I paid $986CDN/$756US for:

2x Mini Monitors
    CC-350

That would leave you enough to pickup a SVS or Paradigm PS sub.

Kevin

16. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

On another note Vince has a Monitor setup up forsale. Maybe worth a look and it'll save you a bundle.

Speakers FS

Kevin

17. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

get paradyme's insted.