Paradigm surround speaker options/positioning

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark_Buss, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Mark_Buss

Mark_Buss Extra

Here's a question I'm sure gets asked around here a lot but I'll do it again anyway for my scenario. I'm finally ready to beef up my rear surrounds in my theater. I will be driving whatever I get with Marantz MA6100 monoblocks at 125 watts each (1 for each speaker). My current front speakers are the Studio CC and Monitor 11's and a Velodyne sub.

I want a good, full and open surround sound. I'm considering the Mini Monitors or the Monitor 3's and standing them on metal stands to the right and left of the couch, about 3 feet from the couch on each side and slightly behind (due to my apartment shape that's all I can do). Do I aim these directly at the couch or do I bounce them off the ceiling - which is something I read in home theater mag. Or would I be better off with (bi-pole?) speakers like the ADP370 - and what would their placement be?

My pre amp is currently the SR7000 but I'm upgrading to a Rotel 1066 sometime in the future.

I don't usually have time to demo things so I just come here and ask and then go home and enjoy. Thanks!

2. Felipe S

Felipe S Stunt Coordinator

The thing about Mini Monitors & monitor 3's is that you'll need something a little better than metal stands to support them, cuz they're kinda heavy. I once had them on stands and someone bumped into one accidentally, it tipped over, cracked my fish tank... not a pretty sight. I now have them mounted on the wall with pretty sturdy wall mounts. The ADP370 are really nice for surround if you have the proper room shape and position them in a good spot. Mini Monitors are nice for surround as well, I would say Monitor 3's are a little big for surrounds, but then again if u got the room for them and a place to put them then go ahead.
    The mini monitors or monitor 3's should be set up something like this
    [​IMG]
    Three feet above ear level.
    [​IMG]
    The ADP's should also go in the same place, just try to have it reflect a back wall for a nicer surround feel.
    (pictures taken from www.dolby.com)

3. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

One thing to watch, the Minis are rear ported and the 3's are front ported. If they are going to be really close to a wall or corner the front ports on the 3's will be better.
    As far as sound preference between the speakers, the ADP's will be best if you have a place to mount them on the side walls. If not, I would chose the Minis over the 3's. The 8" woofer in the 3's have a lower output, but I think they lack the clarity and imaging of the 6 1/2"s in the Minis.