Paradigm Surround Back Help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve_Moo, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Steve_Moo

Steve_Moo Stunt Coordinator

Here's my setup right now and I have aquestion on what to use for Surround Back(s).

Monitor 3's as Mains
    CC-370 Center
    ADP 170's as Surrounds

Now should I stay with my CC-170 as a Surround Rear or sell that and go with 7.1 and get Mini Monitors for my Rears. My Receiver(Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX) is capable of 7.1 Surround and wanted some opinions on this!

2. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

What's the room like? What are the placement options for the rear surrounds?

3. Steve_Moo

Room is 25x15 with 8 foot ceiling. My couch is about 6 feet from the back wall. My ADP Surrounds are placed on each side of the couch. I have CC-170 directly behind the couch on a stand against the back wall. I was thinking of placing the Mini Monitors in the 2 back corners and face them towards the main listening area, and sell the CC-170!

4. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

I have Studio 100's and StudioCC in the front, Studio ADP's as the Surround Left/Right, and Minimonitors as the surround back speakers and they do a great job as the Surround Back speakers. Id get the mini's in the back, (my $0.02)

5. Steve_Moo

I think I'm going to try it. I can get a pair of used Mini-Monitors v2 for $200 and I should be able to sell the CC-170 for at least $150. So a $50 swing for an extra speaker. You can't beat it!

6. Justin H

Justin H Stunt Coordinator

For sure. I've experimented with 6.1 and 7.1 in my room and having two speakers back there is absolutely a worthy investment. The widened rear sound stage sounds leaps and bounds better than one speaker on rear duty. That will be a $50 investment you won't regret.

BTW - $200 for some v2 Mini's! Do you mind if I ask where from?