Paradigm success stories in Calgary??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by McPaul, Dec 9, 2001.

1. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    I have been listening to a LOT of speakers lately and I believe that so far the Paradigm reference line along with the Dynaudio Audience line have so far the best sound of everything I've been listening to. I had origionally thought I'd go cheaper with speakers but then figured I'd just upgrade piece by piece and thus get what I really wanted.

At the Paradigm shops I've been to so far, General Audio and Sounds of Music, I've found SoM to have a huge attitude problem especially the guy that was with me. They also expect me to buy the Transparent speaker cable #200. (I can't remember the model line) for $270. This isn't going to happen. I'll be getting some basic wire, or more likely, keeping my current stuff. He also claimed that the 40's were a 'redundant' speaker. - they didn't stock it. I wonder why...

The guy at General was a whole lot better, was using some relatively cheap wire with the 40's, and gave a great demo in which the 40's were clearly better The price he quoted me was still basically 10% off.

Both places used a locally made wood stands that were sand filled. I couldn't remember the brand - Skylark I think? - and no it's not a Buick!

what salesmen have you guys had the best luck getting discounts on Paradigm stuff? and what were your experiences with them?

---

As far as the Dynaudio's go, they sounded great, their littlest speaker, the 42, was priced about the same as the Paradigm 40's. But he said they could not discount because they were an import speaker. Anyone dealt with A&B downtown store with Dynaudios?

2. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

Does anyone know what the MSRP of the studio 40's & 60's are?

More than that, the website is quite up to date, why would they not post it?

3. Paul Chalk

Paul Chalk Stunt Coordinator

In Canada the MSRP for the 40's is $1099. Not sure about the 60's.

4. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Paul, have you been doing any more listening lately? Been to General Audio yet? or even check out those Dyn's?

5. Paul Chalk

Paul Chalk Stunt Coordinator

Nope, I don't get into Calgary too often. Too busy with school work. I'll probably make a trip in next weekend. During that trip I'm going to listen to four different speakers. The Dyn 42s, Energy Veritas V2.1s, Paradigm Studio 40s and Klipsch RB-5 IIs.

And I've been to General Audio, but that was during the summer. But at that time, I wasn't looking at the Studios, just the PW-2200.

6. Roy Wallace

Roy Wallace Stunt Coordinator

Hey Paul:

I would be interested in hearing your opinion of those Energy units when you demo them. I have been reading about them, but have not gone for a test ride yet...

Thanks,

Roy Wallace

7. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i think the US$ MSRP is $900 for the 40's and $1250 for the 60's. thats what i have to pay at my dealer. [​IMG]

8. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

Paul Chalk,

You might want to add the Monitor Audio Reference series to the list as well...I would.

Dave

9. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Dave - what's happening with your speaker search? Are you looking at replacing the 60's yet?

The only Monitor Audio dealer in town is Sounds of Music, which also deals Paradigm and B&W. Too bad they're the most snobbish store in town and don't make deals. I've found Calgary dealers generally unwilling to make any kind of deals on speakers of this variety.... 10% max. Others' experience may vary. If it does, please let me know!

10. Karim Nogas

Karim Nogas Stunt Coordinator

Who did you deal with at General Audio? George Siemens (the owner) helped me out quite a bit and gave me a good deal on upgrading my cables to Cardas. They also have an all tube setup which was the first I had seen. Quite a good place except that the parking is terrible.

11. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I have been waiting for a thread like this. Five years ago when I was 22 I was going to school at SAIT and stopped by a high-fi shop in Calgary. It was right downtown, I believe on the north side of the C-Train tracks. The name of the place slips my mind but I remember talking to a chinese/phillipino guy.

I also remember he was quite rude and basicly had nothing good to say to me. I took this was because I was a student and had little money. I had also told him I planned, but couldn't at the moment, to start builing a nice HT. He played the snob bit too a tee and I was very turned off by his approach. Now that I think about it, its a wonder that I purchased my equipment from a hi-fi store here in Edmonton after a experience like that.

Anyway, would anyone know the name of this store?

12. Trent C

Trent C Agent

Michael,

You may be referring to Sounds of Music. I know that at one point they were located right on 7th Avenue by the 1st Street W. C-train station. They have since moved.

In fact this is an interesting thread for me. I am in the market for some speakers and these comments are very interesting. Nothing that I hate more than salespeople that do not treat the customers with respect.

Trent

13. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Michael - that was Sounds of Music. They were right downtown, then moved out to 10st and 8ave. Middle of nowhere as far as I'm concerned. I will never buy from them, I thought that Marvin guy was bad enough. You sound like you have heard similar experiences with the other guy. (who was on a personal call for 10 minutes after I came into the store - so Marvin helped me. They apparently thought I'd pay $270 for a pair of speaker cables when they were demoing the $800 Studio 20's. The only reason why he recommended these was because of a 'rule of thumb' he mentioned. which was completely off base.

I dealt with Derek at General Audio. He was great, gave good demos, was realistic with me, and he was an old Futureshop guy which we had a good long talk about the old FS days.... anyways, neither place were willing to deal.

Trouble is, those are the only two places that have Paradigm in town. And SoM is the only one that has both Paradigm AND B&W... Perhaps we should all act as a group and get a good deal on a bulk order?

14. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

Paul McGowan,
    Nope, I am still very happy with my Studio/60....may upgrade in a few years time, but no time soon. Canadian manufacturered speakers are still IMO the best value here in Canada....at least in the CDN$2000/pair and under category.
    How often do you get back here in BC? There should be a few Paradigm Reference dealers in the Thompson-Okanagan area....one definately in Kelowna (you know the one [​IMG]). Personally, I have received 20-25% off the Canadian MSRP on Paradigm Reference speakers (both dealers are in Northern BC -- one is out of business now [​IMG]). Actually, I will probably be visiting one of them soon...what are you looking for? I may be able to get you street prices for them...let me know via email.
    Dave

15. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Thanks for the reply on which store it was. I'm lucky I guess because here Audio Ark deals with Paradigm and they are pretty well mannered. My salesmen jumped ship recently and is now working for Premier Audio, about 2 blocks away.
    Audio Ark IS quite agressive against their competion. Especially A&B Sound. With A&B selling Denon recievers now (which is Ark's big selling mid-fi recievers) they need to be competitive. Just to add, I recently was there listening to the Linn's Flagship $160000.00 audio system. Nothing but stunning.
    Anyhoo, perhaps check out this fine store to the north of you, I have scooped up Mirage Posters, Denon pictures and keychains...all for just buying great equipment from them.
    Now THATS customer service [​IMG]

16. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Michael - I have heard VERY good things about AudioArk to the north... unfortunately no vehicle here - I know, I know, I have my priorities backwards! How do you get manufacturer gear - posters, keychains, etc? When I was selling for Future Shop, we always kept the gear for ourselves - there wasn't much to go around. I agree, that is VERY good customer service - you are quite lucky. What other brands do they carry? for speakers?
    David - I'm going back to BC for Christmas in just over a week. Going home to Kamloops. I was in Victoria on the first to celebrate my grandparents' 60th wedding anniversary - was a big party that was lots of fun! Trouble with buying in BC is you've got to pay the extra 7% tax. Where were you referring to in Kelowna? That 'Best Buy' place?
    I'll be looking at getting the 40's, CC, PW2200, and either get cheap atoms for the rear, or hold off on buying rears for now. That alone will break my bank. For a long time too! [​IMG] I'm also listening to the Dynaudio Audience line at A&B sound, the 42's list for the same $$$ as the 40's. I thought they sounded significantly better. Get a chance to listen to them up in PR yet? Amazing sound.

17. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

Paul,

Best Buy is the place that I was referring to.

If you can get the Ref's for 20-25% off MSRP, then even if you have to pay the 7% PST, you are better off, right? Anyway, it's worth checking out...just bring your calculator.

Did you compare the Dynaudio 42 in the SAME or similar system as the Paradigms? Can you audition them at home? If you found that they sound better than the Ref 40 then I would suggest that you get them...you have to trust YOUR ears. If you buy the 40's, you may get buyer's remorse since the Dynaudio apparently sounds better to your ears. Since they are priced the same as the 40's, then I would suggest that you get the Dynaudio 42 over the 40's. That's what I would if I was in your place.

Just my 2 cents Canadian, of course. YMMV.

Dave

18. Roy Wallace

Roy Wallace Stunt Coordinator

I have been following this thread from the start, and I have really enjoyed it, especially since most of you are from western Canada.
    I have also been paying close attention to the reveiws you have been giving the local (Calgary & Edmonton) dealers.
    This will play a big part in my upgrade plans over the next six months or so.
    Thanks guys![​IMG]

19. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    David - same retail price, bigger (?) difference in street price with the Paradigms. How did you 'haggle' with the guy you dealt with to bring the price down?

I'm still not sure whether my Onkyo 575X will power the dyn's. you should take a listen to them when you get a chance. They are a 4 ohm load.

20. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

What's the best % off MSRP my fellow Canadians have gotten. Anyone in BC or even Vancouver who have gotten great deals that they care to share?