Paradigm Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Harvey, Oct 23, 2001.

1. Greg Harvey

Greg Harvey Extra

Hello all, I'm looking at buying a nice, cheap sub for my 15*20 room. It has come down to either the sony sa-wm40 or the paradigm pdr-8. I can get the sony for under 299 can with tax, or the pdr-8 for 329 can without tax at all! Which would you guys choose and why? I'm leaning towards the Sony right now because it has a bigger thumper and has received great reviews..

2. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    I'm not familiar with the Sony sub, but the Paradigm is a nice one. I use a Paradigm PDR-10 and like it better than any other brand out there. The only sub upgrade I would go to from here would be a Paradigm Servo 15 (which is in the budget for next year).
    If at all possible, go to an A/V store and demo both. Your ears should be the deciding factor on this, I'd think. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection Casa del Clint

3. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

The PDR-10 is not bad. I think the 8" is pushing it though. Another one is the Energy. Those may also be reasonably priced for you (since you're in Canada).
    I would have to say both of those are a bit anemic for your very big room however, but of course, if you're budget limited then you're budget limited. That said, I could annoy my neighbours in a similarly sized room (apt) with the same 10" subs. It depends on how much bass you need for your movies. (I can't listen to music that loud anyway.)
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
    Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.

4. Gruson

Gruson Second Unit

If you cannot afford the Servo-15, go for the PW-2200. I have heard it almost matches the servo-15 in performance.
    I love mine [​IMG]

5. Eugene Hsieh

6. Greg Harvey

Greg Harvey Extra

Yes about the price range. I'm only 17 so I'm really only looking for the best bang for the buck... not the best bang!

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I had a PDR10. Not a bad little sub for small to medium rooms. Sub 30hz response is not great though. Does not to bad down to 30hz, but once you start going below 30hz it tails off quick. I doubt the sony would be much different. $329 CDN is way too much for a PDR8. I payed $350 CDN for a PDR10 over a year and a half ago.
    I've never heard the Sony, but I would guess it could beat the output of a PDR10 (larger driver more power). So I'd advise trying to get a listen to both. Then if the Sony is close enough to the sound quality of the PDR10 for your tastes get the Sony, if not get the PDR10.
    Also given Costco's excellent return policy the David D-Box 300 or 301, whatever it's called (around the $300 CDN mark anyway) would at least be worth a try.
    ------------------
    Dustin
    [email protected]
    My Adire Tempest Sonosub

8. Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden Second Unit

Dustin: Depemds what part of the country he's in, around here a PDR10 goes for about $499, high I know, but the "going rate". They also ask $999 for a PW2200, but I managed to get it for $750 taxes and all, which isen't too bad.

9. Greg Harvey

Greg Harvey Extra

I'm in St. Catharines Ontario by the way. Not much competition around here and just one store that sells Paradigms so I guess they price the speakers at whatever they want [​IMG]

10. Graeme Shiomi

Graeme Shiomi Stunt Coordinator

Hey,
    I'd seriously suggest taking a road trip to Hamilton at least. There are tons of Paradigm dealers in Hamilton, Burlington, Oakville and Mississauga.
    In any case, if they won't budge on the price of a Paradigm piece and it is in Canada, do not buy from them.
    Graeme

11. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

I have been told that the Sony SAWM-40 can bought for around CDN$240-$250 before taxes. List is CDN$299. I have heard that the Brick sells the Sony sub for around CDN$250 when it's on sale. Hopefully, there is a Brick around you within driving range...and check on their flyer for sales. Do a search here and read all the rave reviews on the Sony SAWM-40 sub...probably the "can't be beat for the money" sub.
    Dave

12. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

List here is closer to $500 for the PDR10 too and we only have one Paradigm dealer in Stoon as well. I still got it for $350. If they won't drop in price, walk, they often change their mind rather quickly as soon as you start to leave.
    ------------------
    Dustin
    [email protected]
    My Adire Tempest Sonosub

13. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Calling back to the original post, I would go with the Sony over the PDR-8. The sony is a 12" sub vs the 8" Sony. Also, I have heard so many good things here about the sony, it has just seemed to die down recently. Do a search on that sony model number, and you will find a lot of good info.
    ------------------
    My Website: http://www.hometheaterfanatic.com
    e-mail me: [email protected]
    My DVD Profiler
    Paradigm Lover

14. Eugene Hsieh

15. Ron Katcher

Ron Katcher Agent

How about the Mission 700asi. This retails for $500 but can be had on line for less than $300 at www.proactiveelectronics.com. This sub has received comparable reviews to the HSU VF-2.

16. Myles

Myles Agent

Why not try another Canadian built speaker...I have an Axiom sub (ep-175) and it's very musical since it has a very cool aluminum driver.
    They list on their site www.axiomaudio.com a dealer in your area:
    ON St. Catherines ESM Audiotronic 905-684-2388 28 Dunkirk Road
    Often the subs can be gotten for less in Canada than listed on the site. I got a scratched demo at a great price.