What's new

Paradigm Studio's set-up? (1 Viewer)

Meindert

Grip
Hi there I'm looking into buying a new speaker set-up. I live in a condo..my room size is 30ft-10ft(hardwood floors), 9ft ceilings. I need some help with my speaker set-up. I will go with Paradigm ;
Studio 20 front l/r
CC 470
Studio 20 surrounds
sub pw2200/pw 2100
OR
Studio 60 front l/r
CC 470/570
Studio 20 surrounds
sub pw 2200/2100
Which set-up is better for this room-size.It will be for 60% music( sacd/dvd-a)/ 40% HT. My listening position is 6 ft away from the fronts. Receiver is HK avr 630. Thanks for your help!!

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
Either would work for you.

I would go for the 60/570/20 combo. But I am a tower fan.

If you didn’t want towers, or if you think they may be a bit big for your room, I would go with a 40/570/20 package.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I would get a better sub for that setup probably. Servo15 at least, or if you don't want to drop that kind of $, get an SVS.

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
I forgot all about the sub, I also vote for a servo-15 if you want to stick with paradigm, or check out SVS or HSU.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
For mostly music go for the 60/570/20 IMHO. I vote as well for the Servo-15, but the new Seismic 12 sub sounds like it might be a pretty good buy. They reveiwed it in the latest Sound & Vision. Tom Nousaine had some good things to say in his 'In The Lab' section of the review.
http://www.paradigm.ca/Website/SiteR...micSeries.html
I can definately vouch for the Servo. Mine keeps a 15x14x8 foot room shaking.

With your hardwood and high ceilings you will possibly be looking to treat the room with a large throw rug and/or wall hangings to keep the reflections down.

You can get a Servo-15 cheaper in Canada than an SVS due to shipping, border fees and exchange.

Cary_H

Second Unit
I live in a condo in a concrete building with carpeting. My seating position is 7.5 feet from my RPTV. My 60s sit out 2 feet from the front wall making the fronts of them 1 1/2 feet closer again than my TV screen. I have them 8 feet apart.
The back wall is directly behind me preventing me from moving my listening position any farther back than I have it now.
I have 20s for surrounds, the Studio CC, and a PS1000 sub.
I run a Denon 3802. I find at higher volumes the room degrades the audio quality. I did try the 20s up front once to see what I thought of them. I found them lacking, which might be expected after the 60s.
Anyway, I suggest you might have an even tougher time than me given your hardwood floors. I'll add a word of caution around the physical size of the 60s as well. Mine are quite imposing in my place. Even the 20s on stands loom pretty large in spaces the size of ours.
I can't say for sure I'd do anything different if I were to do it all over again though.
Don't skimp on the sub. By that I mean quicker, not necessarily larger. My 1000 is way overkill.
If you go for the 60s, don't skimp on power. If I were to upgrade now, my first move would be more power.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Yes, these are power hungry beasts. Do you have the H/K already? There may be other options to consider if you don't, considering the high prices of their stuff here. If you want to hear the 630 with the Studio 60s, Kromer Radio carries both brands and they're good people to deal with. Go in when it's not busy, and they'll shuffle setups to your liking (within reason, of course).

I think you'll find a huge difference in the 60s versus the 20s. I did. And if you'll need to add stands to the 20s, you'll quickly find that the price differential is quite small.

Oh, and Kromer offers a 7 day refund policy which means in-home auditioning...*FANTASTIC* news for you...you'll be able to give those speakers the true test they deserve to have.

Meindert

Grip
Thanks for all your help. I have the HK avr 630 already. I auditioned the Studio 20's and 60's at KROMER. I will go back and ask them if the can set it up with the HK 630. The 630's continuous average power is 90 watts per channel in stereo mode. I have to check if thats enough for the 60's...mind you I live in a condo so I can't really crank up the volume that much. I will check out the Servo 15 as well, the seismic 12 is around Can$ 2000...
Thanks Drew :emoji_thumbsup: I will go back to KROMER and see what they can do for me!

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I don't think their listening room does justice to the 20s, I've heard them elsewhere and they sounded much better. You can't go wrong with the 7-day return policy though. I won't even speculate on whether those 90 watts can power the 60s, but a quick trip to Kromer should let you know that right away. Let us know what you find. :)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I am going to revise my advice to go for a an SVS, since I didn't notice that you are in canada. Shipping and duties bring SVS to very comparable price compared with a servo15, which is a very nice sub. In the states, the servo15 would be much more expensive, but you guys get such good prices in canada that it's not so much the case.

You also might get an even better deal buying the whole setup, so it's probably about the same prive and performance wise to grab the servo 15. It's a very nice sub.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Meindert, My setup consists of 40/20/470 with a PW2100. The sound that comes out of these speakers is nothing but amazing. They are powered by a Rotel RMB-1095. If your getting a sub like the servo-15, I'd take the 40's over the 60's. Not much of a spec difference between the two. To give you some bargaining power with Kromer, here's what I paid from East Hamilton Radio.

40/20/470: $3100tax in. Free Premier S-series speakers($240+ tax value)

PW2100: $650+tax

Kevin

Meindert

Grip
Thanks Kevin, that's a great set-up and you got a good deal! The 40's as mains might be the best match for my HK 630..I will let you guys know what my 'final answer' is on this one. :)

Ben Stern

Stunt Coordinator
Hi there I'm looking into buying a new speaker set-up. I live in a condo..my room size is 30ft-10ft(hardwood floors), 9ft ceilings. I need some help with my speaker set-up.

My co-op is similar to your condo - also with hardwood floors. I auditioned seriously the 60's, 40's and 20's. I went with the 20's front and rear and the 470. The 20's (to my ears) imaged better and just disappeared. I heard music not speakers. I could detect no difference between the 570 and the 470. Actually, this is a win, win situation for you. Coupled with the sub, you will be very pleased with any of these speakers. Enjoy your new toys!

PaulT

Supporting Actor
FYI in Central BC I paid:

Servo-15: last year 1400 CDN +tax
(with the X30 crossover)
40v3: a month ago 1000 CDN +tax

I'm currently undecided between the 470 or 570 and will be doing ADP surrounds (although I am listening to more and more DVD-A so that may change to 20's....). Slowly replacing an aging Klipsch setup. The Paradigms do like more power.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks