What's new

Paradigm Studio's Bright? My Tests Say No... (1 Viewer)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
After reading a lot of posts out here on this board and numerous others, there seems to be a difference of opinion as to whether the Paradigm Studio series can be a tad bright.

Deciding to fool around with my sub/main crossover on my Anthem AVM-20 to obtain the best integration with my Studio 40's/20's, I used a Stereophile Test disk and RS SPL meter to do comprehensive Frequency Response curves for each crossover setting FOR MY ROOM. (IMPORTANT).

What I found was interesting. For my room, a 50htz crossover works much better than 60 or 80...much flatter response. I experience a little suckout at 100htz, but pretty flat throughout the spectrum until I reach 1000htz. I have a little bit of recess from 1000-3150 but what was really surprising was that after 12,500htz, I have a severe dropoff in output, almost 12db at 16,000htz, and 18db at 20,000. (using 85 as my reference point).

I have had numerous people over my house and nobody has claimed my speakers to be bright. I can attribute all the other anomolies in my curve to room/setup problems, but to what do I attribute the high frequency dropoff? Surely, that cannot be 100% due to my room, as I have hardwood floors and plaster walls...characteristics that would make my room live...not dull. Should I be experiencing this kind of curve? I know there will be people out there with difference experiences and YMMV, but I found this response curve to be a little different than what I was expecting...at least at the upper ranges.

Makes me want to read more about frequency response and room acoustics. Anybody got any good reads on the subject?

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I don't find the Studio series to be bright either. Have you measured the response in different locations (it may be a local issue).

F. Alton Everest's "Master handbook of Acoustics" is an excellent (understandable) read on the subject.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
No Greg, I only measured from the Sweet Spot, but you've given me the impetus to measure from other locations. Thanks for the tip on the book...I'll have to check it out.

Bob Cal

Stunt Coordinator
Well I just purchased the Studio 60's and I am using Technics Receiver SA-DX 950 , now I have only had them for a month or so and not sure of the break in. But I do notice on certain cd's that that they seem brighter than they did with the same cd in the dealers. I should also point out that they were using Denon equipment in the dealership which is supposed to be matched a bit better than the Technics. So my equipment could be a big part of this.

I was planning on upgrading my receiver later this year to a Denon.

I was trying to decided between the 40's and the 60's and ended up getting the 60's because I found the 40's more forward than the 60's. I must say I am pleased with the 60's so far. (Heavy suckers )

Bob

Bruce Chang

Second Unit
IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE ROOM and components you use! I thought the B&W 804s where bright in my friends room, but when I listen them to them in another room they sounded awesome. My paradigm studio 60s where great on the top end, but a little bit too boomy in my room. I switched to the PSB goldi's.

BruceD

Screenwriter
Evan,

When you measure with the test CD and SPL meter, are both main speakers (L&R) outputing at the same time?

Since this can cause comb filtering (frequency response anomolies) if both speakers are outputing the same signal, try the same test with only one (left or right) speaker producing output.

Arron H

Second Unit
The 20s seemed a little bright when paired with a Denon 3802 in the showroom. However, they are not even close to the brightness coming from some of the horns.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
I don't know how good the response of a Radio Shack meter is, especially higher up. Either way, I think Dan Wiggins of Adire Audio did a study and found that in a "typical" room their high-end speaker with an almost perfect anechoic response, had a response similar to what you describe.
http://www.adireaudio.com/tech_paper..._acoustics.htm
Bruce is right, you need to use only 1 speaker if trying to measure such a full-range response.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I had no idea you only had to measure with one speaker. I guess I will redo the test and see if that changes anything. Thanks guys for the suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks