What's new

Paradigm Studio V3's (1 Viewer)

Robin Warren

Second Unit
Ok there has been a bit of confusion regarding the direction Paradigm is heading with the new line of Studio speakers, see This Thread. I just got back from visiting a local dealer and they confirmed that the Studio Line is going to proceed with the Version 3 line as early as this month. Price for the Studio 20's V3 will start around 1k cdn funds. Personally I cannot wait for these things. Earlier this week we A-B'd them with the V2 Studio 20's and the improvement was really something.

Cheers.

That is almost funny, I just upgraded my monitor series setup for Studio v2's today!

No wonder the dealer heard nothing of v3 :frowning:

Anyways, I'm really happy with my new v2's.

ernie.bin

Stunt Coordinator
as disappointing as it may be for some new studio owners to be with a v3 coming out now, I doubt I'd be able to afford the studio60s in their V3 incarnation if the 20s are moving up to the $1k range.

I'll still love my new 60s. :D

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
This is almost comical. I spoke to my dealer today (about another matter) and he said as an aside that he spoke to their Paradigm rep who stated with absolute certainty that they are not looking to update the Studio line past the v2 for a long time and that they are concentrating all of their efforts on the Signature series right now. When I asked if the Signature line would replace the v2 studio line he said definitely not. I'm still wondering if there is naming confusion here.

Chris

Jason GT

Second Unit
To split hairs, veneer = real wood sides. Laminate is the term of choice, it seems, for the faux wood vinyl finish.
Anyways, list for 20s is around $800/1100 Canadian for laminate and veneer, respectively.

To ChrisDixon: where are you located? It may be a factor on who is getting what news.

A local dealer indicated that Paradigm was moving to v3 ("something was up") Studios in the next six months.

Robin Warren

Second Unit
Hey Chris, there was no name confusion here. We spoke at length about the confusion and they said that Paradigm keeps a tight lip on new lines to avoid vaporware.

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
I am in the USA (Pennsylvania). While I can understand some cloak and dagger about new stuff (ie. not annoncing it or being vague), I really don't appreciate an oughtright misrepresentation. Why would the rep say that they are not even looking at updating the v2 line, then openly talk about the Signature line (that is even farther away)? If the v3's are actually showing up in stores, that has less "vaporware risk" than Signatures line. Like Louis-Philippe, I'm a bit frustrated that I just bought v2's and would have waited if v3's were on the way at a similar price point.

Chris

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
But, going from $800 Canadian to the $1k range as previously specualted, is not a similar price point IMO. That's an extra 25%. To put in terms I think are relevant...

I purchased my Studio series recently and ended up getting about 30% off retail in the US after all things were considered (don't ask, you can't get the deal now). I wouldn't have purchased them if they were 30% more, and I wouldn't think dealers will be eager to discount early when they have V.2s left in stock. I certainly wouldn't purchase them if they were 30% more and then a newer model that cost 25% more than that.

However, I'm with you on your main point. There shouldn't be a bunch of confusion surrounding new products coming up. It's not like they update their lines every year, so it's something some might want to wait for. The next update might be years away if ever. I purchased my V.2s 'cause I couldn't wait and get all the discounts I received. I assumed V.3s were coming by the fall, but I didn't hear anything solid. It wasn't worth waiting for a newer version that I was told would be more expensive. For what I have in my set, I could sell them and only loose 5-10% if I want to upgrade later to v.3s or to the signiture line.

I was told today that the Studio line is definitely going to V3. I made a trip to Canada today to purchase a setup of 40's/20's/Studio CC. Much to my surprise the dealer had no 40's or CC in stock and said they are not expecting to receive a lot more of the V2's. They'll continue to trickle in, but the V3's should be out in force within a month. They could not confirm the new pricing on the V3's yet, but there's no doubt that it will be higher and I'm stretching my budget as it is just to get the V2's. I wasn't planning on getting 60's, but decided to since I would rather pay a lower price on V2 rather than wait for V3. I went ahead and bought the floor models of the 60's and 20's and they said they would check for me on a Studio CC, which of course will mean another trek north. With the amount I'm saving, it's definitely worth it though. For the curious out there, they are the black ash laminate and the prices I paid (before tax) were $1,000 Canadian for the 60's and $645 Canadian for the 20's. Converting to US dollars, it was $709 for the 60's and $457 for the 20's.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
I visited a Paradigm dealer today, and they had already cleared out most of their demo V2's. The sales rep. told me that a Paradigm rep. demoed the V3's earlier today. I picked his brain a bit, and here's what I got:
  • 20's will cost around $1100 CDN MRSP. Compare that with V2's of $800.
  • he didn't believe that the V3's would timbre match with the V2's
  • in fact, he stressed that the V3's are a very different beast than the V2's
  • the Signature series is still a ways off, and V3's definitely aren't those

Hope this helps to confirm and deny the appropriate rumours.

Martin.

Jason GT

Second Unit
More poop in the pile:

Called up my "main" dealer today. v3s in a month or so.

Can't say I'm all that enthused about the price jump, but right now I can afford it :)

What is interesting is the change of timbre - new tweeter perhaps (titanium)? I hope that they maybe, just maybe, took a tiny bit of edge off the upper end? We'll find out soon enough I guess.

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
Well, I had to send a tweeter back to my dealer, so printed out some of the "evidence" above and put it in the box. It will be interesting to see what they say since thier rep continues to deny all knowledge of the v3 line (saying that they haven't even *talked* about updating the v2's. I love my brand new 60v2's and CC, but I'm sure it will be hard to hear people talk about how much better the v3's are.

Chris

Hello Chris,

I can say that I share your pain and I've deceived to call my dealer and share it with him... And I must say that he was totally comprehensive of the situation and reminded me that his store policy is still valid (1 year exchange with $ difference for upgrades). So, I'll wait for some reviews and see if it's worth the "upgrade".

Take care,
lpr

Johnny Sal

Auditioning
I just came back from a store in Hamilton, ON Canada and they confirmed that the V3 version of the studio 60's will retail for $400 CDN more than the V2. That's quite an increase!

Levesque

Supporting Actor
I just got back from my dealer, that is one of my friends.

He told me that the V3 is not worth the upgrade over the v2 (do you think he would spit on the money?). He says that it's just a trick from Paradigm, because they got so much rave reviews, that they want to "surf" the wave. A new version is the best way to raise the prices.

Like my dealer told me: "audiophiles are hearing better sound with lighter pockets..."

He told me Paradigm is a victim of their low price politics. Buyer with money are snobbing the Reference line because the "price is too low, so they are not good speakers".

Think about it.

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
It will be interesting to see whether people "flock to the much better v3's" or "jump on the lower priced, but just as good v2's while they still can". The true test will be A/B comparisons. I think Lévesque is correct in touching on the psychology of sound in relation to budget, expectations, and what you are used to. In a few months, it would be very interesting to see the results of three different comparisons between same model v2's and v3's:

1. Blindfolded liseteners that do not own any Paradigms
2. Non-blinded v2 owners
3. Non-blinded v3 owners

The same could be said for Rocket vs. Paradigm, etc. I think it is impossible to completely shut down our bias, expectations, and subconscious hope that we made the right choice.

Paradigm is in an interesting position right now. You could argue that they are as popular as they are because they are considered to be a high quality speaker at a very competitive price. At the same time, they are not as well respected because they are considered by some to be a "budget" line and too popular in the mainstream. Will their push to higher price bring in another demographic of buyers or will it be considered a marketing ploy that alienates the existing buyers?

Chris

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
"jump on the lower priced, but just as good v2's while they still can"
Put me down in this column. The speakers I ordered are being picked up from the factory this week, so new ones are still available for those likeminded folks who move fast. To be fair though, I am finishing a V2 set as opposed to buying a new set. But I think I'd still go with the V2's.

Martin.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks