Paradigm Studio Speaker Connections

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by altan, Jan 17, 2003.

1. altan

altan Stunt Coordinator

Ok... I'm a goof. I'm concerned about how my speaker wire is connected to my Paradigm Studio/20 speakers.

I'm not using banana plug, just 14 guage wire directly to the posts.

I unscrew the post, put the wire into the hole on the side, and tighten. What concerns me is the "bridge" from the top post to the bottom post (for bi-wiring/amping) never seems to be very tight -- even if I tighten down the post pretty hard (but I don't want to overtighten).

If I unscrew the bottom posts, it's pretty easy for me to "shake out" the bridge from the top post -- which again worries me -- making me think the top post isn't tight enough.

Am I doing this right? How tight should it be?

Thanks

Altan

2. Paul cbc

Paul cbc Stunt Coordinator

Dear Altan,

You are not a goof, just concerned as you say.

The connection is tight enough if you can hear sound from the tweeter, if not it's too loose. Don't sweat this too much. Do check this, say once or twice a year and snug them down.

On another note, if funds allow, consider bi-wiring these speakers: removing the bridge and run two sets of wires-one to each set of posts. This is an inexpensive, and worthwhile upgrade, IMHO.

Best of luck and enjoy the speakers!
    paul

3. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

AudioQuest makes a speaker post wrench for about $10, I've never used it so I don't know how well it works. One thing I do to make sure the binding posts are tight is to tighten the binding post as tight as I can, then jiggle the wire or spade a little (the bind post will loosen a bit), then tighten the binding post again. If you do this a couple of times it seems to really make a tight connection. Just my $.02

Ken

4. Bobby_N

Bobby_N Agent

Awww, you know, I just brought home my Studio Reference CC from being fixed...start long story...

Ok, about 5 months ago, I bought the Studio CC, and never got a chance to use it, then I left for a while, and one of my ruthless family members put their finger through one of the woofers to be spitful...ok, flash foward a bit, now, I get that fixed, BUT NOW, (damn my luck) there is NO high pitch sound coming from this thing at all checked it with a frequency check, and the tweeter IS REAL >>>REAL