Paradigm Studio Reference v.2 trade-in for v.3

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Christopher Lyn, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Christopher Lyn

Christopher Lyn Stunt Coordinator

Hi all, I was just at my local A/V retailer to listen to the version 3 Studio 100s and the B&W N804s. I must say that IMO, the 804s did not sound that much differenct from the 100s...and I don't think they are worth $2500.00+ CDN more than the Studio 100s. I actually liked the Studio 100s v.3 better for most of my listening tastes and with the CDs that I had.

I actually had the salesman not tell me which speakers were hooked up and I just kept telling him to switch between speakers (my eyes were closed). In the end, to my surprise, I chose the Studio 100s. I thought I would have preferred the N804s, considering that it is supposed to be in a higher line level than the 100s...I never listened to the CDMNTs though..maybe I should have.

Anyway, I didn't think the v.3s would be much better than the v.2 (I have the Studio 100s)..boy was I wrong...the v.3s are substantially better...from what I heard.

I want to trade-in my Studio 100s v.2 and Studio CC v.2 for the Studio 100s v.3 and Studio 470. I got a quote that after I traded-in my speakers, I would have to pay $2200.00 plus tax for the Studio 100 v.3 and Studio 470.

Is this reasonable, or should I "haggle" some more?

Thanks in advance.

****Note to all B&W owners, I am not saying the Nautilus line of speakers are not good..they are exceptional. I just preferred the Studio 100s...that's all.

2. craig_d_can

craig_d_can Extra

haha. nice quote/exception line.

I am a huge B&W fan, but I think that also makes me a huge Paradigm fan.......different enough, but you still have to herar both. The Studio's are very god speakers......excellent even. Are the NT's worth the extra $2500? No way!! are the new v3 Paradigm?? No way!!!

While they MAY be different/betterm, they certainly won't be "night and day"......if they were they'd be sold under a different name////ie. Studio plus, etc.

3. jeff.adams

jeff.adams Agent

I finally heard the v3 studio 100, 60, 40, and 20 yesterday. Caveats: they didn't have the v2 to compare to; I haven't heard the v2 there for a month; they were not positioned identically; however....

The v3 to me was a much better speaker! Way different! More articulate, better defined bass. Clearer nicer mids. Unobtrusive highs (although I never had a problem with the v3 tweeter).

I will be very intererested to hear more people's opinions who have heard both back-to-back. I don't think it's subtle. But aural memory is pretty lousy, so we'll see...

4. Christopher Lyn

craig_d_can,

5. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Stunt Coordinator

Chris,
    Without side by side comparison in the same room with the same electronics, I'm not sure how meaningful the audition is. I mean between the V2s and the V3s. If the dealer no longer has V2s, you might want to consider taking yours down there to conduct the comparison, or better still get the dealer to let you try out the V3s at your place. I think you've got your mind made up, but I've never found I could properly evaluate audio equipment in the dealer showroom.

6. Christopher Lyn

Wayne_T, I agree with you. I didn't want to have to move the v.2s...they are really heavy and bulky...Room acoustics has geat influence, as well as the components selected. I also totally agree with you on that.

Unfortunately, all I had was some notes taken down on small excerpts from 3 to 4 songs that I know well and tried to guage the performance of the v.3s to the v.2s...I know, I know...don't even bother responding to that last line.

However, I went to the store with my mind set on not liking the v.3s. I actually wanted to get a deal on the N804 speakers.

Like I said, I'll sell them privately because I can get a better return. Anyone with direct v.2 and v.3 comparisons is welcome to input their thoughts.