Paradigm Studio Rears

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MarkWC, Jan 23, 2003.

1. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

I have decided on Studio 20s and a Studio CC but am still confused regarding the rears. The closest I can put the rears is about 3 1/2 feet behind the listening positioning.

Since this really eliminates the ideal location for dipoles I am left to consider bipoles and monopoles. Paradigm Reference, or any other Paradigm line, does not include bipoles so I must choose a decent monopole.

The Studio 20 seems rather large for my room as a rear unless I mount them in the corners about 5 feet back. Are there any other smaller speakers in the monitor or performance line which will give me a decent match. I am trying to avoid destroying the timbre matching and soundstage.

I still have not emrged into the realm of DVD-Audio or SACD so it would be based on movie and satelitte sound.

Thx

2. Christopher Lyn

Christopher Lyn Stunt Coordinator

I would get Studio 20s for the rears. I have a preference for monopole surrounds than dipoles or bipoles...especially if listening to DVD-A/SACD or through my music logic processing from my Lex.

Don't be intimidated about having the 20s in the rears...it's your amp that will be driving them to the calibration level that you set anyways...unless you mean that the size (dimensions) of the 20s are too big...anyhow I would personally get the 20's for the rears.

You'll be ecstatic by hearing perfect timbre matching and imaging through 4 identical speakers rather than 2 different pairs.

By the way, I use 100s for the fronts and 80s (ver. 1) for my rears...was using Monitor 3s for the rears. I cannot tell you how much better sounding my system is with a full Studio line and larger speakers in the rear.

3. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

So would you say having four identical speakers, even with the rears mounted in the rear corners, are more ideal than smaller speakers mounted on the side wall facing each other for a more diffused rear soundfield?

I have a problem choosing rear speakers that fall outside that particular line of speakers because the components are slightly different and won't match as well. But yes, the Studio 20s are almost physically too big for rears and thus must be hidden in the corners on undecided corner shelves or mounting brackets.

If my front Studio 20s are placed on their sides above a 53" tv would I want the rears at the same height in back?

4. Peter Jessee

Peter Jessee Stunt Coordinator

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Dipoles would not be placed behind you, rather they are intended to be inline with the listener (so you are sitting at the null) with the drivers firing front and rear for a diffused effect.

I have to agree with Peter's comments. If you are that concerned about timbre matching, then I wouldn't expect you would want to do something like lay 20s on their side either. Stands are the way to go.

I was told that you can only get 20s in black if you want them shielded, which you will REQUIRE if you intend to put them directly on top of your TV...

6. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Also keep in mind that they voice coils in the 20's are not exactly the same as the coils in the ADP dipole surrounds. [​IMG] Sorry, I am not talking about the tweeter, just the other driver.

7. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

Everything posted makes sense, however I get no room to reconsider. Either I place the front speakers on their sides or choose a speaker that is under 13" tall to make it fit vertically within the cabinet. I do not have any space on the sides since the entertainment center will occupy the full front wall. I only have 9" of clearance to the ceiling so no wall/ceiling mounts unless the are completely forward off the furniture.

Are there any Studio quality speakers that are small enough to fit vertically and are front ported? Seems like it will be too small to incorporate such a feature, but doesn't hurt to ask.

Also, I know where the ideal spot is for dipoles which also doesn't exist in my home. My options suck, this is why I need much help defining a worthwhile option.

I have about $2500 for a 5.1 set, any ideas?

Thanks [​IMG]

8. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Don't bother wasting your money as others said on Studio 20's if you are going to lie them on their side on a bookshelf. Go to the store, play the speakers on their side they sound TOTALLY different. This is a HORRIBLE idea.

Let's see if we can find a speaker less then 13" tall. They will still sound back in bookshelf but better than on their side.

Dahlquist QX5 is short enough
    Paradigm Atom is 10.5" tall, Titan is exactly 13" tall.
    B&W 303 & 600 S3

Of course these are all rear ported as most small speakers will be. I'm sure there is a front ported one.....

9. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Stunt Coordinator

Mark,
    My advice: Lose the entertainment center. [​IMG] They are the enemy of hifi. If that's not possible... well you'll have very limited options. You'll have a very difficult time trying to find speakers that will work for you in that cabinet.

Can you say more about that? What do you mean, "doesn't exist"?

10. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

First, I appreciate all help.

A Little history, I got an Elite and my wife got to pick the furniture. Here's a pic off their webiste:
    http://www.jsp-industries.com/Pages/introhomethea.html

It is the one on the top right under collections without the outer bookshelves. You can see the upper cabinets which are larger width wise than height. They come with speaker covers for speakers as well. It is my enemy.

I am miserable, a 53" tv coming with no real soundstage, feel like I'm going backwards. So, as you can see I need speakers to fit within the cabinets. My room is also 22' long so I have a lot to fill to boot. My rears will be 3 -4 feet behind listening positioning on sides walls, no height constraints.

I tried the PSB site but the graphics won't load. Things are going from bad to worse....

I'm still trending, throw a brother a life line!![​IMG]

11. Guyza

Guyza Stunt Coordinator

Mark,

Energy Connoisseur (sp?) has a front ported bookshelf. Haven't auditioned it, but it may fit.
    energyspeakers.com I think.
    Some people speak highly of this line.

Nice looking ent. center!....too bad about the functionality problem though.

Keep looking...I'm sure you can find something that'll work.

Guy

12. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    One small question: How will you hook up, and get to your gear in the event of any changes? Make sure you have a way to relieve heat from whatever amp(s) you will have in there.

13. Dave Ma

Dave Ma Stunt Coordinator

oops

14. James Bergeron

I think what you need is MTM speakers. Basically 3 centre channels. But again more are rear ported.

Tannoy makes an excellent speaker that may be the ticket for you.

Go here:http://www.tannoy.com/frame.cfm?ID=1&D=1
    Click on products then Saturn The Saturn S6c or S8c
    look like they would work perfectly for you. Even the S6LR on their sides, I'm pretty sure you can turn these speakers as they are all built into 1 driver.

Or the Definition line the D750 is a closed box design, which may be even better, it's 20" long so I'm not sure how long your shelves are.

15. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

I guess the best thing to do is wait for the tv and furntiure to come and see what room there is to play with.

I think I am going to have to go with some sort of forward ceiling mount. Having an enclosed cabinet and very little room to play with makes spending a lot of money with little results a logical and unsettling conclusion.

BTW - I do not have seperates, only an Onkyo 700, should I still base decisions on the Studio line or should I look at the monitor and performance lines? I am starting to second guess my amp with the studios.

Thanks

16. James Bergeron

Mark, did you look at the tannoys I mentioned? I think the just might be the ticket. They sound excellent!

17. skip marr

skip marr Stunt Coordinator

You should consider in wall speakers. There is a new feature that allows you to install in the ceiling. When you turn them on, the unit actually hinges down on an angle up to 46 degrees out of the ceiling, and you have a perfect presentation. You can do rears to match, in ceilings, or in walls. DEFTECH even had dipole in walls now for surrounds. This was written up in the December issue of I think Sound & Vision. If you want more info, email me and I will look it up for you. Very wife friendly!!! Good luck!!