What's new

Paradigm Studio CC..upgrade worth it? (1 Viewer)

Christopher Lyn

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all...I have the Studio 80s and I am using the old CC-300. As with everyone, I am constantly trying to reach audio nirvana.

Just wondering if by upgrading to the Studio CC, if there would be that much of an improvement in "sound experience." I noticed that the frequency response is 75Hz to 20KHz. There are other centre channels like the Mirage of Sonus Faber Solo whose frequency response goes down to 40Hz. Is there a huge difference in sound from a speaker that only goes as low as 75Hz vs. 40Hz?

Should I shop around for another centre channel...maybe I'll just upgrade my sub to the Servo 15 instead?

Thanks for your help

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Chris,

If you want to stay in the Paradigm line, demo the Studio CC if possible in your home. It's probably better to stay with Paradigm, but that is your choice of course.

I just moved from a CC350 to the Reference center and the difference is quite profound. A superior center in my opinion compared to my older model CC.

As far as adding the sub versus the center, you might want to look at the SVS line. They are having a summer sale at the moment and I think you'd be able to purchase the center and the sub for the same money or less then you'd spend for the Servo 15. Depends on the model of SVS you would want.

If it was a choice of either center or sub, I'd do the center first and then go for the sub. Just my humble and non-expert opinion.

Charles

John Dunlap

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

If you're using Studio 80's as mains then I think the Studio CC is a no-brainer upgrade. I must admit that I have'nt had a chance to demo the Studio CC but everything I've heard has been overwhelmingly positive. I just bought a Monitor Series CC-370 v.3 (which I'm very happy with) and supposedly the Studio CC is a lot better than the CC370.

Check out AudioReview.com if you need more convincing!!

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Chris,
Go with the Studio CC center. Don't be fooled by specs alone. The CC can handle all that a disc can throw at the center channel, and more. In terms of fidelity, the CC Studio blows away the Monitor center, whether 370 or 350. I owned the 350, and went to the CC Studio and the upgrade is there in spades.
You will run the Studio CC on small anyway, so why worry about the Freq. Resp of 75Hz when the spec is coupled with a listing of LFE of 42Hz(DIN)* for the Studio CC.

Also, I recommend either bi-wiring the Studio CC, or utilizing a good jumper from LF to HF binding post. My experience, and IMO. The improvement is audible, and does the CC center justice.

BOK

itai

Stunt Coordinator
chris
i'm a happy owner of a CC center, and let me assure you that it's a gem of a speaker. centers tend to be small and annoying, well, you just go and see (and hear...) this behemoth, you'll get my point. clear, smooth, amazingly life like vocals, effortless, perfect match to any reference line mains.
as said, no brainer!

BobRoulier

Second Unit
I have the studio cc and I am very happy with it after many auditions at home, b&w htm2 side by side with the studio cc I perfered the paradigm and almost half the price;)

Phil_O

Stunt Coordinator
Do you guys think the Studio CC would match my Monitor 5 v.2's at all? I will probably get the CC-370 but should I get a v.2 or v.3?

AntonS

Stunt Coordinator
If you have Monitors as mains, I wouldn't spend any money on anything more than CC-370. Center speaker has to be timbre-matched with mains. If it doesn't, you'll get not as precise imaging, even if the center speaker is of better quality. Spend your money on the sub first, then you may consider updating the center AND the mains at the same time.

Opps... correction after re-reading your post... You have Studio 80s (for some reason I thought you had Monitors.) I think it will make sense upgrading to Studio CC then. First because the Studio CC is just better, second because it will better match your mains.

Will Gibbons

Agent
Christopher,

The recommendations for timber matching, especially across the front speakers, are on target. Studio 80's are the one speaker in the Reference Series, however, that has different mid-bass drivers than the others and the Studio CC. It really is worthwhile home auditioning if possible, and I would recommend a Studio CC that the dealer has already broken in. There is some controversy regarding break-in of speakers, but I found my system did seem to smooth out after 100-150 hours of play. I may have been just as subject to the break-in as the speakers. If you cannot home audition and you are finding the impulse nearly impossible to ignore, check out the used market for The Studio CC as well, which could amount to some decent level of savings.

I have no idea why the DIN specs are so much lower than the +/_ 2 dB frequency response specs--nearly an octave lower. That seems quite odd to me. You did not indicate what crossover settings you have available for your center and speakers. If available, you may want to try raising the cross on the center. You may find some additional clarity, and in some cases better imaging. The reduced bass from the center would then go either to your mains or to the sub, depending on how your pre/pro/receiver handles such a situation.

Good luck,
Will

Christopher Lyn

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the opinions guys...I went out and purchased the Studio CC today. I immediatley heard the difference from the CC-300. Much better imaging, better staging, maybe better depth (but my mind maybe playing tricks).

I did notice the "brightness" though...Let's see how long of a break-in time is required. So far so good though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks