Paradigm Studio alternatives

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ed C, Sep 22, 2001.

1. Ed C

Ed C Stunt Coordinator

What should I compare the Paradigm Studio line with (something at a similar price point). Would the B&W 601, 602, and 603 compare with the Studio/20, 40, and 60? I'd like to do some comparison shopping before deciding on my speakers.
    Thanks.

2. Tyson

Tyson Stunt Coordinator

3. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

FWIW, I have had Studio 100s on my short list for quite a while since I heard them. Even though my speaker budget allows for more expensive speakers, the 100s are still on my list. It may take a pair of Maggies at 2x the cost to knock the 100s off my list.
    ------------------
    "Today is a good day to die." ...Old Lodge Skins

4. Michael Yung

Michael Yung Stunt Coordinator

Hi Ed,
    In my opinion, I think the Paradigm Reference Studio series is slightly better then the B&W 600 series. And for the price, it is fantastic value. Make sure you audition everything before finally making your purchase. For online dealers, I suggest that you make sure they have satisfaction guarantees if you're not going to be able to hear it before hand. Good luck.

5. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

Ed,
    Since you live in Canada, I would suggest that you audition some of the very worthy Canadian-made speakers such as PSB (Stratus series), Energy Veritas and Mirage (bipolar). These are regarded to be in the same league as the Paradigm Reference. If you go with one of these speaker brands you would typically get the best bang for the Canadian buck (loonie). It's one of the main reasons why a lot of our US neighbours are coming to Canada to purchase their speakers (Paradigm and Paradigm Reference seems to be the speaker of choice based on past posts).
    Just remember to trust YOUR ears. Good luck and have fun auditioning. I know that I did.
    Dave

6. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

I'd agree that Canadian speakers are among the best. I'd add Totem Arro or Staf to that list.
    Don't overlook British speakers though. Mission 774 are nice, as are the Mordaunt-Short 906, and cost slightly less than the Paradigm 60.

7. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    After looking for a year and auditioning to replace my Studio 100's and CC I listened to most brands. The Dynaudio contours are nice but what I went with was the Von Schweikert VR3.5's and LCR 35.A bargain for twice the price. Check out the web site.
    ------------------

8. ThucN

ThucN Agent

I recently auditioned the Paradigm Ref Studio 40. However, I didn't like what I heard, so I tried the B&W 602 (note: all comparisons with same dealer, same room). I preferred the less expensive 602 to the Studio 40.
    Being foolish, I listened to the twice as expensive CDM 1NT, and found them to be better than both of the other speakers. I say foolish, because after I heard the 1NT, I wanted them, but that meant increasing my initial price range.
    As luck would have it, I listened to one more pair of bookshelf speakers that the dealer had, and were comparable in size and price to the CDM 1NT. These were the PMC TB2, and are the speakers that I ended up buying.
    Check out Audio One if you're interested in comparing Paradigm Ref Studio vs B&W vs PMC.
    PMC link - www.pmcloudspeaker.com
    [Edited last by ThucN on September 23, 2001 at 06:46 PM]

9. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

I've also been comtemplating the Paradigm Studio's and the B&W's. Now I've seen Dynaudio's mentioned several times. ANyone know the prices on these, off hand? The Contour 1.3Mk2 seem to be comparable to the Paradign and B&W bookshelfs. Also the Audience 42 and 52. Prices? Comparisons between these 2 lines?
    Thanks, Aaron

10. Tyson

Tyson Stunt Coordinator

Audience 42 - about $700
    Audience 52 - about $900
    Contour 1.3 MkII - about $2400.