Paradigm studio ADP's anyone?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John S Smith, Jan 15, 2002.

1. John S Smith

John S Smith Agent

Can someone with these speakers tell me where the binding posts are? I will be installing them flat on a low ceiling, (tweeters towards the center of the room). Normally they would be mounted on a bracket on a wall, this is not possible in my room. I am hoping the binding post is on an end rather than a side. Paradigm catalogue does not show this detail.

I won't be purchasing ADP's untill after the ceiling is drywalled, need to locate speaker wire.

Thanks

2. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

Binding posts are on the wall side, sorry. In my case they are hanging on the wall, hiding openings where the wire is pulled through.

Studio ADP and Monitor ADP are using this same brackets a pair of W shaped, where one part is potled to wall, and another upside down to a speaker.

How do you plan to mount them to the ceiling ?

Also, Paradigm has some in-wall speakers - have you looked at them ?

_zjt

3. John S Smith

John S Smith Agent

Zbig

How will I fix?

Gutter spikes straight through the cabinets, seriously I have not finalized the mounting method, I installed a piece of 3/4" plywood directly above the speaker location, drywall will fix directly to plywood backing, this way I can keep my options open. A couple of pieces of 'L' metal (anodized alumimum)would not look too bad but means fixing directly into the ends of cabinets (I assume mdf or ply?).

With the binding post on the back (my top)at least I eliminate the visible wire and if I keep the drywall back a bit the 5/8" gap should allow somewhere for wire 'slop' to go while I fix the speaker to the brackets. Some kind of Rubber isolation material will give me a little more room, perhaps 1" total? A hinge on one side would be great and would allow me to get a good seat against the Rubber Pad.

Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated

In wall speakers?

There is no wall cavity, a header for sliding glass door is in the way.

Thanks for your help

4. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

You can try to use original mounting brackets just like on the wall, slide speaker to lock the brackets, and then use a small L shaped bracket with 2 screws at the bottom of speakers, to prevent speaker from moving. Keep in mind that the original bracket is self-locking, with pressure applied ortogonally to screws:

________

| |

| |

| |/___ screw: force is vertical,

| |/

so screw is secure in the wall;

if you put it into ceiling, you are fulling screw out of the ceiling... - and i do not want to be one under it.

You may consider adding studs into ceiling to get 2 black painted steel braces to screw to top and bottom of speaker, so it is securely mounted.

I was thnking of using Paradigm in-wall speakers mounted in the ceiling - one of the models is in closed enclosure, for this type of application.

_zjt

5. John S Smith

John S Smith Agent

Zbig
    I'm not really concerned about screws pulling out, speakers weigh 30-35lbs? plenty of leeway there,besides I am only 5'9" so it probably won't be me they fall on. i will let you know how it goes,I will check out the brackets, maybe they will work fine after all.
    thank again, you really helped.
    ..john:[​IMG]